joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Payback will come in May with backdoor cold fronts that lock in southern New England with fog and drizzle and temperatures in the 40s for weeks as NYC basks in 70 degree southwesterlies under full sun and bikini booming beach days. Climate doesn't hold grudges, but snowpacks can and do hold a lot of resistance to Spring's onset. They can shovel all the snow they want, it won't build them any sand castles when they're donning coats and umbrellas insteads of shorts and sun dresses.

I would take the 36" snow cover most of them have now for some extra cool foggy spring days. In a second. In my whole life I've probably never seen more than maybe 2 feet on the ground at one time, and that was in early Feb 2011.

Epic post I saw in the Mid Atlantic, just had to share here

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45602-the-chamber-of-despair/?p=3357993

I don't understand how anyone from the New England area can have any animosity towards the cities to the south of them when it comes to snow.  New England almost always gets more snow. One good winter for the DC area doesn't make up for the fact that a lot of the region has been in a snow drought for two decades.

Some members need to stop looking at snow as a competition.

if I was younger I would love to see four feet of snow...But the hassles that come with it is to much for me...I need a car to get around and it was a problem with only 10" on the ground...I can't shovel to much because my back will give out...I live in an apartment now and park on the street...what I want won't effect what will happen...I'm rolling with the punches...I want snow but don't want to be isolated...

Dca is such a bad spot for snow

It's funny. People that get that animated about Boston getting more then them should seriously

consider moving to a much more snow friendly region than DCA. But I think the bulk of the

anger is that the -AO never materialized that was expected after the October signal.

The El Nino was also too weak to help them much. But 40N and especially New England

can do very well on a +AO pattern. Even Islip is having an amazing snowy period that

began on 1-24.

The problem with the DC area and the Mid-Atlantic area in general is that they really need a strongly negative NAO and that hasn't been the case this year. The pattern for the most part has favored late redeveloping systems that graze our region and then nail New England. The next two systems are prime examples of this pattern.

Things could change for them in a hurry if the PV drops down like some of the long range modeling has been predicting.

Archived