• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Superbowl/GHD Blizzard Version 2.0 Part 4

Chicago Storm

Was the snow for you guys to the north mostly a light powder? It's hard to believe the snow I got was from the same storm. Over 10" of cement here just west of Cleveland. Everything was plastered and not much wind during the brunt of the storm so minimal if any drifting. Temperatures plummeted into the low teens overnight so everything froze solid. Trees are still plastered with snow despite the gusty 30mph winds now. Very picturesque scene out there with caked snow and fresh lake effect falling.

It was 5-10 F for the entire storm, so yeah, pretty dry  :lmao:

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my count, this is the 6th snowstorm on record (since 1884) that Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee all had 10"+ totals. Kind of surprising there's not a few more. Though that's 4 of them in the last 16 years...interesting.

February 18-19, 1908

Chicago: 12.8"

Detroit: 12.6"

Milwaukee: 13.0"

January 12-14, 1910

Chicago: 10.2"

Detroit: 11.4"

Milwaukee: 12.5"

January 1-3, 1999

Chicago: 21.6"

Detroit: 11.3"

Milwaukee: 15.4"

January 21-23, 2005

Chicago: 11.2"

Detroit: 12.2"

Milwaukee: 11.4"

Jan 31-Feb 2, 2011

Chicago: 21.2"

Detroit: 10.3"

Milwaukee: 19.8"

Jan 31-Feb 2, 2015

Chicago: 19.3"

Detroit: 16.7"

Milwaukee: 12.0"

Fascinating beyond belief O'hare ended with 19.3", that's not me questioning the number at all, just amazing stuff.

Wasn't the GEM showing a more true NE moving cutter to start?

You really could call this the perfect storm IMO and the only thing lacking if you want include it was TSSN. They werent GHD I winds but it was a blizzard out. 27 hours of snow and you had four different types of it, maybe even 5....advection snows Saturday night, more frontogenesis banded snow yesterday morning turning into deformation snows that eventually was helped with lake enhanced snows and finally lake effect snows. You can draw it up any better.

A top 2 storm in my lifetime both by amounts and favorite.

What's funny is just four years ago we said we'd never see another GHD storm like that, and besides the weaker winds and no thunderstorms, this one did it's best for a full on repeat. Had 20.2" with GHD I and 16.4" with GHD II

Thankfully off today so more shoveling on tap.

Been snowing a decent clip here since daylight. Looks like it might be fetch off the lake. Hard to tell on radar but it looks like it could stay over us for a while.

Getting sun here at times now...but still snowing. Looks like it might be breaking up. But yeah, it was a pretty nice snowfall for awhile there this morning. Probably tacked on a couple 0.1"s.

Adjusted to inches to Southern Ontario

LOCATION             SNOW AMOUNT

WINDSOR AIRPORT      14.6"
BLENHEIM             13.0"
LONDON AIRPORT       8.3"
DORCHESTER           9.8"
CAMBRIDGE            7.1"
KITCHENER            7.9-11.8"
WATERLOO             7.9-11.8"
BUTTONVILLE AIRPORT  6.7"
MISSISSAUGA          7.9-9.8"
BRAMPTON             7.9-9.8"
TORONTO MIDTOWN      8.7"
THORNHILL            7.5"
EAST YORK            7.1"
GRIMSBY              9.8"
ST CATHARINES        10.6"
HAMILTON AIRPORT     7.9"
HAMILTON MOUNTAIN    9.8-13.8"
OAKVILLE             11.8"

Fascinating beyond belief O'hare ended with 19.3", that's not me questioning the number at all, just amazing stuff.

You really could call this the perfect storm IMO and the only thing lacking if you want include it was TSSN. They werent GHD I winds but it was a blizzard out. 27 hours of snow and you had four different types of it, maybe even 5....advection snows Saturday night, more frontogenesis banded snow yesterday morning turning into deformation snows that eventually was helped with lake enhanced snows and finally lake effect snows. You can draw it up any better.

What's funny is just four years ago we said we'd never see another GHD storm like that, and besides the weaker winds and no thunderstorms, this one did it's best for a full on repeat. Had 20.2" with GHD I and 16.4" with GHD II

nice recap, I swear we have more snow on the ground in my neighborhood than after GHD. The best part about this even was enjoying the heaviest returns during daylight but GHD was violent in a way I don't think i'll see again.

nice recap, I swear we have more snow on the ground in my neighborhood than after GHD. The best part about this even was enjoying the heaviest returns during daylight but GHD was violent in a way I don't think i'll see again.

how close are you to Lakeview? Thats where my brother is and he says he may even have more than 19.3 but too drifty to tell

The model lead up on this one was something to behold as well. Still ramping up well into nowcast time, and STILL being slightly underdone.

how close are you to Lakeview? Thats where my brother is and he says he may even have more than 19.3 but too drifty to tell

About 3 miles north. I measured 21 and change ( :weenie:) but it seems high. Either way, the first  12" or so was much heavier and drifted less so it looks like more. There was bare grass everywhere after GHD which was so much windier.

Took a ton of pics but will upload this evening...attempting to make it to Farmington Hills for a half day of work lol

I hope you have 4x4. I have yet to see a car make it out of my subdivision... I refuse to even leave the house today because the ground clearance of my Cruze is half of the total snowfall; I'd be nothing more than a plow. It does look the main roads are finally becoming clear now though.

Stebo, did you post a final amount? I'm trying to gauge if I believe the 15.5" report from the spotter in Shelby Twp. The COCORAHS in Warren only reported 10".

The 19.3" at ORD makes it this system the 5th biggest snowstorm for Chicago...

1. 23.0" - 1/26-27/1967
2. 21.6" - 1/1-3/1999
3. 21.2" - 1/31-2/2/2011
4. 20.3" - 1/12-14/1979
5. 19.3" - 1/31-2/2/2015
6. 19.2" - 3/25-26/1930
7. 16.2" - 3/7-8/1931
8. 14.9" - 1/30/1939
9. 14.9" - 1/6-7/1918
10. 14.8" - 12/17-19/1929
11. 14.3" - 3/25-26/1970

I hope you have 4x4. I have yet to see a car make it out of my subdivision... I refuse to even leave the house today because the ground clearance of my Cruze is half of the total snowfall; I'd be nothing more than a plow. It does look the main roads are finally becoming clear now though.

Stebo, did you post a final amount? I'm trying to gauge if I believe the 15.5" report from the spotter in Shelby Twp. The COCORAHS in Warren only reported 10".

Yes that 15.5" is legit my parents live there my dad says about 17-18" but he was just guessing he said it was almost as bad as 1974.

Great snow storm. Dupage here, oakbrook.

The total along with snow drifts looks worse than last years snow pack. It buried a lot of the low bushes by me. Which I was gauging constantly last winter.

Going to shovel around soon. Should be enough for some good mini tunnel passage ways :)

not sure if this stat has been posted yet, but via DTX's facebook...

-This is the first time since 1948 (when snow depth records began) that Detroit has had two consecutive winters featuring 12+" of snow depth. Last winter Detroit maxed out at 20" and this morning Detroit was sitting at 18"

Archived