• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Superbowl/GHD Blizzard Version 2.0 Part 4

Chicago Storm

Impressive totals out of this area as well.

NEW YORK

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...
   WELLSVILLE             7.0  1230 PM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   4 SW WEST ALMOND       6.9  1000 AM  2/02  COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
   BUFFALO               14.1   100 PM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 WNW BUFFALO         14.0  1030 AM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   ORCHARD PARK          12.5   100 PM  2/02  NWS EMPLOYEE
   BUFFALO INTL ARPT     12.2  1250 PM  2/02  COOP OBSERVER
   3 N CHEEKTOWAGA       11.8  1230 PM  2/02  PUBLIC
   WILLIAMSVILLE         11.8  1130 AM  2/02  NWS EMPLOYEE
   ANGOLA ON THE LAKE     8.0   100 PM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA

...LIVINGSTON COUNTY...
   AVON                  17.0  1145 AM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA

...MONROE COUNTY...
   WEBSTER               19.5   115 PM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 ENE BROCKPORT       15.0  1022 AM  2/02  COCORAHS
   1 N WEBSTER           15.0   115 PM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   GATES                 13.0  1100 AM  2/02  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 S FAIRPORT          12.0  1225 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER
   OGDEN CENTER          10.0   942 AM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

...ONTARIO COUNTY...
   2 NNE GYPSUM          12.0   115 PM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
   FULTON                 7.0  1030 AM  2/02  TRAINED SPOTTER

...WAYNE COUNTY...
   4 NNE PALMYRA         10.7   939 AM  2/02  COCORAHS

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would argue that there are some areas on that map that should be one contour above the 15-18 one.

As someone else stated those maps are useless and typically a bit off the mark. The observer for here sent in a report of 10" and that was it and i suspect that is what they used to make that map no matter if it is or is not the final total. I have seen it before and a guy at one of the offices said that is how it works. Why it is very important to submit a final total and not just one halfway during the event.

I ended up with 5.0" here way up on the northern fringe of the storm, will be known to me as the pixie dust blizzard lol, had some of the best winds in the state of MI here. but just nonstop pixie dust overall (so much for the cobb 15:1 ratio here, was 10:1 max), was shoveling outside at around 10pm and the winds were so strong it gave me a GHD 1 flashback lol.

I hate to crash the anniversary party, but Groundhog's Day is February 2nd, not February 1st, when nearly all of the snow fell.  I guess the novelty of anniversaries is just too exciting huh? lol.

Let just call it the pre-GHD storm then. ^_^

Groundhog is useless anyway as he always see his shadow now.  If he doesn't he might get sued!!! :o

Plus in MI winter never ends:

:lol:

I hate to crash the anniversary party, but Groundhog's Day is February 2nd, not February 1st, when nearly all of the snow fell. I guess the novelty of anniversaries is just too exciting huh? lol.

At ORD only 3.4 inches of the GHD 2011 blizzard fell on February 2nd.....which is roughly the same for the GHD 2015 blizzard

Different standards for cancelling classes at Valpo I guess.  :P

Haha yeah.  We had classes before 12:30 cancelled so I missed 3 of my 4.  Ironically, our meso class is at 12:30, and the professor is the one who has the ear of the provost.  Though he insists he had nothing to do with the time they chose...

Michigan's gotten soft... Both in weather tolerance and sports :(

I wish we were softer.  Half of the sidewalks weren't plowed yet when I walked over there, and from what I hear, most neighborhoods and side streets are still impassable.

I much prefer thing be closed all up after a storm especially the major storms.  Road crew can clean out the roads MUCH BETTER when there are a lot less people on the roads.  All schools and even some businesses were all closed today.  They plowed our dirt road by perfectly 10 AM today.  When most stuff is not closed than they can only do it halfazz and it takes them a couple to get to the dirt roads they way they should be done!!

May have mentioned this before, but I've noticed as I've gotten older, I no longer lose sleep in the run-up to a big storm. I remember back in my early twenties I'd wake up for the 6z runs 3-4 days before a potential hit and that'd be it. I'd read every afd, this board, run BUFKIT, pace the floor, whatever until the 12z suite started trickling in. So roughly 4 hours of sleep for 4-5 days in a row..Ugh.

I'm glad I'm beyond that stage in my life.

I hate to crash the anniversary party, but Groundhog's Day is February 2nd, not February 1st, when nearly all of the snow fell. I guess the novelty of anniversaries is just too exciting huh? lol.

All i know is between 11pm-2am was some the heaviest snow I have ever seen in my life went from 10.5" to 15" most of the intense snow was on Feb 2nd. :lol:

May have mentioned this before, but I've noticed as I've gotten older, I no longer lose sleep in the run-up to a big storm. I remember back in my early twenties I'd wake up for the 6z runs 3-4 days before a potential hit and that'd be it. I'd read every afd, this board, run BUFKIT, pace the floor, whatever until the 12z suite started trickling in. So roughly 4 hours of sleep for 4-5 days in a row..Ugh.

I'm glad I'm beyond that stage in my life.

That is true for me too!  While I do have a few go to places and that's it (I actually haven't done BUFKIT in years).  I don't look for every angle especially since I know someone is going to post them on here.  I am usually asleep before most of the 0Z guidance is out.  It will look the same no matter if I see it at 11 PM-1AM as it does at 5AM.  I now rather have the sleep.  The night before is the hardest when things are lining up like this last storm.  Thankfully it was the weekend so Fri night/Sat  night staying up was not biggy since I didn't have to be up at 5AM :lol:

The weather is going to do whatever it wants and I can't stop it or change it.

That is true for me too!  While I do have a few go to places and that's it (I actually haven't done BUFKIT in years).  I don't look for every angle especially since I know someone is going to post them on here.  I am usually asleep before most of the 0Z guidance is out.  It will look the same no matter if I see it at 11 PM-1AM as it does at 5AM.  I now rather have the sleep.  The night before is the hardest when things are lining up like this last storm.  Thankfully it was the weekend so Fri night/Sat  night staying up was not biggy since I didn't have to be up at 5AM :lol:

The weather is going to do whatever it wants and I can't stop it or change it.

Yup, that's my mantra too. And make no mistake, if it's ripping outside at night, I'll get by with nothing but cat naps. But just the night of, no more lead-up sleeplessness. 99% of these end up as 6-9" events and I've been there, done that in my life. No reason to be tossing and turning.

Hard to say what our final accumulation was in MIE. The pattern was 1" with the initial wave, followed by rain overnight, followed by 1" of parachutes, followed by a bunch of 33° rain that soaked into the snow, then about 1" with the deform band last night. So, we have about 2" of rock hard ice with about an inch of pixie dust on top of that.

So, better than zero, but definitely not one for the history books. I honestly would have rather had it be all sleet. At least that would have been interesting and memorable.

Hard to say what our final accumulation was in MIE. The pattern was 1" with the initial wave, followed by rain overnight, followed by 1" of parachutes, followed by a bunch of 33° rain that soaked into the snow, then about 1" with the deform band last night. So, we have about 2" of rock hard ice with about an inch of pixie dust on top of that.

So, better than zero, but definitely not one for the history books. I honestly would have rather had it be all sleet. At least that would have been interesting and memorable.

My daughter attends BSU and was very happy that you guys got screwed. I disagree about the sl**t. It is memorable, but a nightmare when you're expecting a foot of snow and get a sl**t storm instead, while 50 miles away is getting destroyed.

And finally...this mess of a graphic :yikes:

snow201502021200.png

Anyone who has experience making maps knows that point data can be tricky, especially when the quality is questionable due to error, drifting, or both (in the case of weather observations) . I actually happen to know that those maps are made with the final data every time, even though some on here have claimed otherwise.

To my eye, it is nothing more than a smoothed nearest neighbor interpolation. Even then, you can see crazy measurements pop up. It looks like those 3 high values around metro got taken care of, but the low values in SE Oakland must have been too numerous? I guess? I don't know.

Anyway, I am not really trying to defend the NWS or DTX, but a map is as good as the data fed into it. I guess that tells you what you should think of snowfall climatology, lol.

My daughter attends BSU and was very happy that you guys got screwed. I disagree about the sl**t. It is memorable, but a nightmare when you're expecting a foot of snow and get a sl**t storm instead, while 50 miles away is getting destroyed.

Well, the writing was on the wall a day or so beforehand, so I wasn't expecting anything significant. Too bad it took the mets way too long to change their forecasts. Now I have to listen to them all whine about people complaining that their forecasts were so far off.

Anyone who has experience making maps knows that point data can be tricky, especially when the quality is questionable due to error, drifting, or both (in the case of weather observations) . I actually happen to know that those maps are made with the final data every time, even though some on here have claimed otherwise.

To my eye, it is nothing more than a smoothed nearest neighbor interpolation. Even then, you can see crazy measurements pop up. It looks like those 3 high values around metro got taken care of, but the low values in SE Oakland must have been too numerous? I guess? I don't know.

Anyway, I am not really trying to defend the NWS or DTX, but a map is as good as the data fed into it. I guess that tells you what you should think of snowfall climatology, lol.

The issue i mentioned is a problem with those who submit a report halfway through the event and that is it and thus no final total and YES the NWS will use that on those maps etc. It is all they have so what else to do? Reasons why people should always remember to submit a final report..

The issue i mentioned is a problem with those who submit a report halfway through the event and that is it and thus no final total and YES the NWS will use that on those maps etc. It is all they have so what else to do? Reasons why people should always remember to submit a final report..

They shouldn't be using them of they are obviously not final...obviously. Those shouldn't pass QC. Don't think DTX has a habit of doing that, but I could be wrong. I don't check the LSRs that much.

They shouldn't be using them of they are obviously not final...obviously. Those shouldn't pass QC. Don't think DTX has a habit of doing that, but I could be wrong. I don't check the LSRs that much.

They didn't even include my report I sent in at noon, neither in the map nor in their reports. So I guess they stopped taking reports after that map was put out since there hasn't been an update.

A guy at GRR told me that.. I agree with you. To find out look at the reports and note the time on them.. A bit of work but it will show if that is indeed the case.

Archived