• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Superbowl/GHD Blizzard Version 2.0 Part 4

Chicago Storm

About 8 up here, hard to tell for sure, the local recording station says 6 inches with .61 qdf but one of those numbers is wrong since the ratios were higher than 10 to 1. the entire event up here. Not bad considering 36 hours before the forecast was for an inch or less.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an amazing storm. Ended with 17" here in Marshall. Amazing sunrise this morning with the fresh snowpack.

You guys won't believe me when I tell you this, but my fire department didn't have ONE call. Nothing, notta, zilch. We have one of the busiest departments in Calhoun county for car accidents and slide-offs (we cover I-69 and I-94 interchange highways).

Funny though, when we get a dusting we have 100 calls... Lol

Simply an amazing storm.

Fascinating beyond belief O'hare ended with 19.3", that's not me questioning the number at all, just amazing stuff.

Wasn't the GEM showing a more true NE moving cutter to start?

You really could call this the perfect storm IMO and the only thing lacking if you want include it was TSSN. They werent GHD I winds but it was a blizzard out. 27 hours of snow and you had four different types of it, maybe even 5....advection snows Saturday night, more frontogenesis banded snow yesterday morning turning into deformation snows that eventually was helped with lake enhanced snows and finally lake effect snows. You can draw it up any better.

A top 2 storm in my lifetime both by amounts and favorite.

What's funny is just four years ago we said we'd never see another GHD storm like that, and besides the weaker winds and no thunderstorms, this one did it's best for a full on repeat. Had 20.2" with GHD I and 16.4" with GHD II

Thankfully off today so more shoveling on tap.

Quality recap...

Yeah with GHD 2011 i had snow being blown under doors and filling up crevices into storm windows and such...not with GHD 2015.

This one did cause more damage to trees around my neighberhood and my property though...10 to 12 inches of cake that sorta flash froze which lead to problems when the winds got stronger.

As per usual, LOT did a solid job of handling things....from 3 days out through the storm itself.

Just help my neighbor, who was out of town and flight arrived this morning, clear his driveway which had been untouched the whole storm. Besides a few high and low spots, nearly the whole drive was in the 16 to 19 inch range...so i guess i will use 17.5 as an asterisk storm total for MBY.

Also...solid work in the thread for all...from forecasting, to analysis, to obs and pics...it will be a pleasure re reading these down the road some day. Glad ALEK got to jump in towards the end. Good work guys....cheers

This was probably the second hardest snows to measure. GHD was the worst to try to measure. Within a 10 mile radius there is anywhere from 11-17" totals.

I think closer to 15" was the actual total. The 11" reported by a nearby observer seems low. Looks like too little to be that.

Some pictures this morning from home and the last one at work.

post-7-0-04562800-1422897928.jpg

post-7-0-65511700-1422897940.jpg

post-7-0-40287900-1422897959.jpg

post-7-0-17025700-1422897968.jpg

Yes that 15.5" is legit my parents live there my dad says about 17-18" but he was just guessing he said it was almost as bad as 1974.

Thanks. It was hard to tell here in Clinton Twp with all the drifting; Seemed to be in the 12"-13" ball park. Seeing Stebo had 14.5, I'm probably close...

Cleanups done... Now all I gotta deal with is mom bringing up the whole "No way this was worse than 78' " debate.

Thanks. It was hard to tell here in Clinton Twp with all the drifting; Seemed to be in the 12"-13" ball park. Seeing Stebo had 14.5, I'm probably close...

Cleanups done... Now all I gotta deal with is mom bringing up the whole "No way this was worse than 78' " debate.

That 78' storm kind of missed SEMI so yea she's wrong :lol:

Well, John MacMurray said Flint got 9" and heavier south. KFNT *officially* got 9.2".

I measured numerous spots and most spots were around 14". Since we had about 2.5" of snow pack when it started, I'll go with 11" IMBY but the "dartboard" amount I would say we got a foot. Lowest I measured was 9".

We went out last night to clear the walk and driveway at 10:30, it took us until midnight to finish. There was an easy 10 to 12" and more in spots. It was kicking ass while we were out there, another 2" fell while we were clearing. Big, fluffy dendrites, just dumping. The snow continued like that until around 3:00 AM when we went to bed.

Pretty impressive storm, to say the least. I didn't do the "model worshio for 8 days" thing this time, after the whole NYC Blizzard thing. I didn't really look at the models until late Friday night. I figure the weather is "gonna do what it's gonna do!"

Finally stopped snowing about half an hour ago.

17.5" is the final number.

Synoptic snow underpeformed, but lake-effect overperformed, so that overall it was a wash.

And believe it or not, I'm now off to class.

Different standards for cancelling classes at Valpo I guess.  :P

Totals in much of LOT were not that far off from the first GHD storm

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=63527&source=2

The list of top 10 snows in that story doesn't line up with Joe's list of top 10...looks like different amounts on the 79 storm...perhaps thats a midway/o'hare thing? According to the list in that article, GHD 2015 would actually be number 4.

The list of top 10 snows in that story doesn't line up with Joe's list of top 10...looks like different amounts on the 79 storm...perhaps thats a midway/o'hare thing? According the list in that article, GHD 2015 would actually be number 4.

After GHD 2011, I think LOT went back and edited the totals of some of the bigger storms to account for snow that fell prior to the main part of the storm... as long as the break wasn't too long or something like that.

After GHD 2011, I think LOT went back and edited the totals of some of the bigger storms to account for snow that fell prior to the main part of the storm... as long as the break wasn't too long or something like that.

Ok...that makes sense....upon further review, joe's list features an extra day on the 79 storm when compared to the list in that article

That's correct...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=63971&source=2

Ended up shy of 9" but what actually fell is almost impossible to gauge because of the wind. Some 10 and 11" reports from around the city. Northern bump and QPF increase all verified but the ratios stayed too low for too long to allow for heftier amounts.

In a lot of ways this storm is a microcosm of last winter. I should be feeling really good about it but I'm left envious because of what happened to my SW.

Archived