Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Superbowl/GHD Blizzard Version 2.0 Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

List keeps growing of area hwy's being closed to spin outs/stuck cars and plows not being able to clear roads.....also due to drifting on roads...

updated list...

IDOT Emergency Closure List

Updated: 02/01/2015 22:06:28

Bridges Closed Ferries Closed

Roads Closed District 1 District 2

US-52 closed from Brookville to IL-26 due to drifts, cars blocking plows, tow trucks will not go out.

US-20 is closed from IL-78 in Stockton to IL-84 west of Elizabeth due to drifts, cars blocking plows. No ETA to reopen.

IL-72 is closed from west of Shannon to IL-73 due to drifts, cars blocking plows. Tow trucks will not attempt rescue.

US-52 is closed from Sublette to Mendota due to drifts, cars blocking plows. Tow trucks will not attempt rescue.

IL-40 is closed from Chadwick to south of Mt Carroll due to drifts, cars blocking plows. Tow trucks will not go out.

District 3 IL-126 closed from Gore to Schlapp Rd. (Kendall Co.) heavy snow drifts, stuck vehicles blocking plows.  US-34 closed from Princeton to Lamoille, heavy snow drifts, stuck vehicles blocking plows. 

I-80 EB mm-105, all lanes closed due to jack knifed semi. No detour provided.

IL-89 from Arlington to Lamoille, IL-92 from Lamoille to Ohio and US-34 from Mendota to Lamoille, are all closed due to drifting snow and cars blocking the plows. Tow trucks are refusing to go out. Heavy snow and drifting.

I-39 NB mm-76 is closed due to a jack-knifed semi blocking both lanes. ETA to re-open is not available.

District 4 District 5

I-57 NB & SB is CLOSED just north of I-72 due to a jack-knifed semi Hazmat truck. Northbound is being re-routed at I-72. Southbound is being re-routed at I-74. Please use caution and find an alternate route.

District 6 District 7 District 8  District 9

Picked up another 0.9" of fluff.  Total at 15.1".  (Also 0.13" rain to start last evening).  Snow is pretty much over, just very light stuff now.  Amazing storm that FAR exceeded my expectations.  

Wow...awesome.  We ended up with 5 inches and i was impressed with that...i figured last nite we would get an inch..lol...  heavy snow too... moon out here (clear skies)...brrr...10F.

Just measured and called in 10.75" of snow here. I will probably get a final measurement tomorrow when I get up. It is still snowing pretty hard even under light returns and that deformation band still has to swing through. Might end up in the 12-13" range before all is said and done.

This is the energizer snowstorm in the Chicago area lol. I'm glad to have been a big part of the forecasting and messaging effort for LOT and also, hats off to the great discussion on here the past several days! Truly epic event.

The lake effect/enhancement is definitely doing work. Impressive stuff. ORD may be within reach of 18", as others have stated.

Sent from my SM-G900V

just as a side note...maybe someone else can offer additional thoughts...

but regarding the LE on the western side...the fact that this system isn't cutting up aggressively into Canada, is that possibly allowing the winds to remain NE longer....vs. with a true cutter (which usually produces quality LE on the west side of the lake) where the winds would start to back out of the NNE then North a bit faster ??  I know there is more to it than just that alone...but just an observation...loading up a vid I just took so you can see the LE impact out here vs. radar...

This is the energizer snowstorm in the Chicago area lol. I'm glad to have been a big part of the forecasting and messaging effort for LOT and also, hats off to the great discussion on here the past several days! Truly epic event.

The lake effect/enhancement is definitely doing work. Impressive stuff. ORD may be within reach of 18", as others have stated.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Thanks RC for all your input on this forum during snowstorms and svr wx season.  Much appreciated.

just as a side note...maybe someone else can offer additional thoughts...

but regarding the LE on the western side...the fact that this system isn't cutting up aggressively into Canada, is that possibly allowing the winds to remain NE longer....vs. with a true cutter (which usually produces quality LE on the west side of the lake) where the winds would start to back out of the NNE then North a bit faster ??  I know there is more to it than just that alone...but just an observation...loading up a vid I just took so you can see the LE impact out here vs. radar...

The flow is steadily progressing more northerly and northwesterly. Back-edge of the best banding is moving through MKE now, and slowly progressing south.

Latest run of the HRRR seems to have a good handle on it, and has snow ending for ORD/MDW/Chicago between 4-6AM or so.

we round the day off with 13.4" imby and 13.7" at DTW, plenty of other 13-14" reports right around here so sounds good...onto some slumber and the deformation. Walking in tons of 2 foot drifts of powder here...its almost like last winter!

1/3rd of the way to a record February, lets do it! By the way I wouldn't be shocked if we added still overnight with the deformation band still to roll through.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

1043 PM CST SUN FEB 01 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1000 PM HEAVY SNOW 1 SSW HOFFMAN ESTATES 42.05N 88.15W  

02/01/2015 M17.9 INCH COOK IL PUBLIC

DTX's update agrees with my thoughts on the additional snow overnight

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
1143 PM EST SUN FEB 1 2015

.UPDATE...

A SMALL BREAK IN THE SNOWFALL IS CURRENTLY WORKING ITS WAY THROUGH
SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. HOWEVER JUST TO THE WEST ANOTHER AREA OF
ENHANCED SNOWFALL WILL WORK ITS WAY EAST THROUGH THE CWA DURING
THE EARLY MORNING HOURS...WITH ANOTHER 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOWFALL.
THIS BAND SHOULD BE THE LAST OF THE MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL
BEFORE TAPERING OFF TO LIGHT SNOW FOR THE REST OF THE OVERNIGHT
HOURS AS REGIONAL RADAR IMAGERY SHOWS THE BACK EDGE OF THIS SYSTEM
IS WORKING ITS WAY OVER WESTERN MICHIGAN. CURRENT HEADLINES WILL
REMAIN IN PLACE TO ALLOW THIS LAST BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW
TO MOVE THROUGH AS CONDITIONS ARE STILL QUITE TREACHEROUS.

Archived