Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2nd Superbowl/GHD Blizzard Version 2.0 Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome vid cyclone. What software do you use to do the time lapse?

Thanks man.  I use Windows Movie Maker.  Works quite well actually.

I must have missed it, cyclone what was your final total, last I saw you had 12.7" I believe. Great to see you bust your lack of big storm streak.

15.1 final total.  4-year 6"+ drought was ended with a storm that almost exceeded that amount by 10 inches lol.

Man, I never would have dreamed we'd see so much snow from this storm.  I was thinking 11-12" would be an extremely impressive feat after starting with rain for several hours.  If you would have told me even at this point last night that we'd have topped 15" I wouldn't have believed it.  Just an amazing storm all around.  Getting that horrific 6"+ monkey off my back feels freakin' great as well.  Hope to never go through that again, as that starts to mess with your mind after awhile.

Thanks man.  I'm glad that Hawkeye and I broke it on the same storm.  Would have been tough on one of us if the other broke the streak while the other didn't lol.

Right on...lol, I almost always forget Hawkeye was in the same boat. Good for him too.

Man, I never would have dreamed we'd see so much snow from this storm.  I was thinking 11-12" would be an extremely impressive feat after starting with rain for several hours.  If you would have told me even at this point last night that we'd have topped 15" I wouldn't have believed it.  Just an amazing storm all around.  Getting that horrific 6"+ monkey off my back feels freakin' great as well.  Hope to never go through that again, as that starts to mess with your mind after awhile.

I basically went through it for six years. It sucks. But when the ball starts rolling your way, it's good times.

And you managed that 15" with that rain scare to begin with too.

Wow, LES still extending way out to Joliet!

More scattered LES up this way. Looks like a couple more hours left and that'll probably be it up this way.

Great picture Cyclone. It looks calm there with the snow stuck on the trees still.

Wow, LES still extending way out to Joliet!

More scattered LES up this way. Looks like a couple more hours left and that'll probably be it up this way.

Great picture Cyclone. It looks calm there with the snow stuck on the trees still.

Thank you sir.  The tenacity of the snow attached to the trees has been very impressive.  We had several hours of 35mph+ gusts and most of the snow still stuck to the trees.  It really bonded with the twigs/branches very early this morning when the snow was extremely wet, and then froze in place.  The fact that we didn't lose power a single time today is a Superbowl miracle lol.

The calendar day total at DTW of 13.7" is the biggest February day ever and also eliminates one of the 5 remaining daily snowfall records that still stood from the first season of winter snow measurements in 1880-1881 (and the largest of those 5, to boot).

I assume you mean top 5 overall storm totals :) ? For those curious, here's the link to the table again:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_climate.php?file=dtwsnowstorms.htm

No, the daily records. There were 5 6 still standing from 1880-1881: October 18, November 18, February 1, February 24, March 30, April 1.

EDIT: 13.7" is also the second biggest calendar day total ever, second only to April 6, 1886.

Archived