joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet started mixing in around 3:05 am and I measured 3.3" of snow at that time.  Sleeted for 15 min and then went to rain.  Fortunately, I was able to finish shoveling about 10 minutes later.  I'd say I got 1/8" of sleet, so I'll say my grand total was 3.4".  The rain is freezing rain right now, with a temp of 31F - after clearing off my car the rain is freezing to it a bit, but not completely, given how heavily it's falling.  The snowpack on all the streets/sidewalks will actually keep the freezing rain from doing any damage, as it'll just be absorbed by the snowpack.  I imagine by the time they plow, the temps will be 32F or above.  About time to sign off, but given the NWS forecast of 3-4" of snow, I'll take 3.4" and hope for some wrap-around snow as a bonus.  

Woke up around 7 am and it was 32F and plain rain.  Side streets were slushy and main roads mostly just wet.  Temp has now dropped to 31F, although I don't see any ice accretion yet - looking at the radar and the obs. looks like the cold air is winning the battle now and driving the 32F line south.  Would be nice to pick up some more snow.  Odd that Middlesex is still in a WS Warning, though, as snow has been over for hours and was plain rain for hours - also odd, though, that their point/click has a high of 40F for me, which doesn't look to be in the cards.  

I was was saying the last two days (and mainly getting ignored or being called a weenie), city looked good for 4-6" of snow and then ice ...not much rain b/c the CAD would be underestimated by the awful models. Euro was the closest to reality on this one. Some big winners up to the NW! Hope you continue to get slammed! Pretty decent storm all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was was saying the last two days (and mainly getting ignored or being called a weenie), city looked good for 4-6" of snow and then ice ...not much rain b/c the CAD would be underestimated by the awful models. Euro was the closest to reality on this one. Some big winners up to the NW! Hope you continue to get slammed! Pretty decent storm all around.

Sent from my iPhone

The city had 4 inches too, not 2.5 as they reported. Stephanie Abrams confirmed that's what she measured as well, another undermeasurement for sure at NYC.

Sent from my iPhone

yeah i still haven't seen a drop of pure rain yet,prob wont see it either.i busted on the high side of snow and ice totals so far and there's a chance of this ramping up as the coastal intensifies .

The city had 4 inches too, not 2.5 as they reported. Stephanie Abrams confirmed that's what she measured as well, another undermeasurement for sure at NYC.

I can confirm that as well. I live near the CP Zoo (where they measure) and it was between 4-5"!

I can confirm that as well. I live near the CP Zoo (where they measure) and it was between 4-5"!

Sent from my iPhone

But this fiasco keeps repeating and really affects historical figures for CPK and likely sanitation budget as well as of quality of life issues for city residents. Something needs to be done about that zoo keeper. Unacceptable lack of professionalism. SERIOUSLY!

they had about 0.45" of water equivalent before it changed to rain...On Staten Island we got 2-3" and raining now...temp was 32.6 and now it's 32.2 with the rain...Slush fest outside...

But this fiasco keeps repeating and really affects historical figures for CPK and likely sanitation budget as well as of quality of life issues for city residents. Something needs to be done about that zoo keeper. Unacceptable lack of professionalism. SERIOUSLY!

My guess is they measured too late once it went over to sleet, the report was 525am, they changed over about 440 I think so that could compact quickly and they also went to 33.  I have noticed as a whole the measurements during the overnight period are much more suspect which could be staffing reasons or it could be the same 1 or 2 people who work at night.  It often balances out because there are usually some events they over report.  I thought they over reported in the blizzard.

Orient point, trained spotter

fire fighter and my state parks worker, plowing right now,the temperature got only to 31, it's pouring and dropped quickly to 29, winds appears to of shifted north as well! Power lines and branches getting coated more and more.....I'd say between 4 and 5 inches of snow

it's ridiculous! I've lived in this area for the last 3 winters and they have only measured close to what I measured once...ONCE! My measurements are usually very close to LGA which is on the same latitude and maybe only 5-6 miles as the crow flies. But, CPK needs to hire someone that is trained to measure. It's deplorable.

Slop fest on the south shore when I left for the train this morning. 2-3 inches had fallen and it was heavy soaking rain when I was leaving. Flood advisory is warranted as the rain is just sitting everywhere in massive puddles blocked by the snow. Really a sloppy mess. I actually hope the snow is washed away soon as I don't want to go home and find that stuff frozen solid. In lower manhattan now and it was sleet mixed with rain.

Archived