• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

This is one of those situations where I'm upset that I was correct. Major ice storm on the north shore of LI right now.

Yeh once you get N of Jericho TPK the BL does not like to erode . The hills  save you and then when the CAD sags it does there first .

This will work out well ( bad ) up there . 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh once you get N of Jericho TPK the BL does not like to erode . The hills  save you and then when the CAD sags it does there first .

This will work out well ( bad ) up there . 

yea its starting to get really nasty up here...im hoping we can at least flip to snow soon

This is one of those situations where I'm upset that I was correct. Major ice storm on the north shore of LI right now.

Yup, you and Snow88 were both singing the same tune and I was right there with ya singing in the background as well. Experience one out in this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't the park measurement from 5:00am?

I doubt it will remain that low once the next report comes out.

They need a new arrangement for snowfall measurements there. 

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

852 AM EST MON FEB 02 2015

...NEW YORK COUNTY...

NEW YORK 4.7 545 AM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

CENTRAL PARK 2.5 546 AM 2/02 CENTRAL PARK ZOO

What a mess already. The sidewalks are completely icy and slushy and the temperatures keep slowly dropping as I'm at 31F now. The models really overdid the low level warming and that'll be costly especially just further north where temps are in the 20s. 

Northern Queens is down to 27 already.

Although geographically not part of the area covered in this forum… thought my ob might be of interest to those on E LI - since I'm only a few miles to the NE...

After being close at 26.6 at 8:50… my temp quickly fell back to 24.7 at 9:10 where it stayed - however in the last 15 minutes, I've had a very quick up tick in temps… jumping .1 to .2 every 3 minutes.  Winds have switched from NE to ENE.

Not sure how this will translate further to the west - if at all… 

27.6 now… 

edit 27.7

Eyeballing it there was about 6" in Tarrytown. Also just did my driveway because I suspect later it's gonna be much more difficult. Was sleeting until around 8AM, seemed to be rain from then until around 10AM, and now nothing (although the temp at White Plains is 24).

My god temps keep dropping. 30 in EWR, 29 at my house. It's going to get nasty. Good call from the school board to cancel school today. I bet a lot of kids think this is rain. 

many schools had delayed openings today here in central NJ - could be a mistake - as temps are already below freezing and plenty of standing water and slush in the roadway - rain should begin mixing with sleet and change to all snow this afternoon as temps keep dropping throught he 20's

Yup, you and Snow88 were both singing the same tune and I was right there with ya singing in the background as well. Experience one out in this one...

Sent from my iPhone

Unfortunately it did. I say unfortunately because ice is horrific and I hate being correct with stuff like this.

Going off the latest WWA it looks like this event will most likely get a 2 on the ice damage index. If someone exceeds 0.50" then it becomes a lot worse. Right now it looks like we should stay just below that threashold.

I don't know, there's some heavy precip incoming and precip extends all the way down to NC. Of course, not all precip will accrete as ice but even immediate n & w suburbs will easily reach ice storm warning criteria imo.  

This area of heavy precip that's building over NJ was well handeled by the modeling, low level temps just busted so horribly.

This is exceedingly common with models. The models always have trouble seeing the low level cold air and it creates such tricky forecasts with this type of set up.

Oh god, its getting really heavy. Heading nowards NYC. Any advice during an ice storm?

Stay inside and you'll be fine <_<

We will likely remain below the threashold for serious issues, but it's always a good idea to have the flashlights ready just in case.

I'm not entirely sure how the ice ontop of the snow is going to impact things. My first guess is that it will add to even more weight on the tree limbs.

I don't know, there's some heavy precip incoming and precip extends all the way down to NC. Of course, not all precip will accrete as ice but even immediate n & w suburbs will easily reach ice storm warning criteria imo.  

They have Winter Storm Warnings still up for the interior where the snow portion has already exceeded the criteria. If things don't cool enough over the next few hours you might see certain counties flip that are currently under an advisory.

Archived