• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

it's ridiculous! I've lived in this area for the last 3 winters and they have only measured close to what I measured once...ONCE! My measurements are usually very close to LGA which is on the same latitude and maybe only 5-6 miles as the crow flies. But, CPK needs to hire someone that is trained to measure. It's deplorable.

Sent from my iPhone

I thought the NWS was going to do that because I want to say JFK had their measuring privileges stripped last year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Central Park figure of 2.5" almost certainly is incorrect.

- A trained spotter measured 4.7" in Manhattan

- LGA had a 5.2"

- JFK, which changed over earliest, had 2.8"

- Not too far to the north, the Bronx had 5"- near 7" amounts.

In sum, Central Park probably had 4"-5" and the spotter report of 4.7" seems much more realistic than 2.5".

- LGA had a 5.2"

In sum, Central Park probably had 4"-5" and the spotter report of 4.7" seems much more realistic than 2.5".

Exactly what I came up with. I'm a trained spotter but that's not my report. I would have reported 4.6" at 4:45am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees and bushes starting to lag here in Northern Queens.

5"+ of snow and now a pretty serious icing event.

Not good.

I was wrong about not needing a winter storm warning. Kudos to Upton!

KNYC will be in the mid 20`s in the next few hours . Need to snow through this plus 1 at 850 or this gets bad for the 5 boroughs and Long Island 

Trees and bushes starting to lag here in Northern Queens.

5"+ of snow and now a pretty serious icing event.

Not good.

I was wrong about not needing a winter storm warning. Kudos to Upton!

That's why they get paid to give forecasts and you don't <_<

All kidding aside, the snow came in heavier than I think most expected and this event looks like it will last a lot longer than most models were indicating. Another very tough forecast.

- LGA had a 5.2"

Yea I measured 2.4 right before I went to sleep. Snow was falling heavily At the time. Changed over probably 30 mins later. Est 3" total here.

That's why they get paid to give forecasts and you don't <_<

All kidding aside, the snow came in heavier than I think most expected and this event looks like it will last a lot longer than most models were indicating. Another very tough forecast.

Even with the models showing winds going back NE I was not that sure it would change back over.  I have seen setups before where we go back NE and stay 34-36, it depends strongly how far north the warm push gets, if it makes it past Westchester the return wind usually is not enough to get you back below 32, but if it does not it usually plummets back.

Just went outside and the freezing rain is starting to accrete on trees and other surfaces - even on my driveway a bit.  With temps at 31F for the past hour or two and temps appearing to be dropping, we could be in for some icing - sounds like what's north of us may be coming towards the Edison area.  

Archived