joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is ok to clear in this situation. There was an accumulation of snow and then a phase change for an extended period. You would measure the greatest depth of snow and sleet during that combined period. If there is subsequently another period of snowfall, I'd measure that separately and add the total of the 2 measurements for the day.

On the other hand, if it snowed 6" overnight, then stopped for a few hours, then snowed another 6" during the afternoon and the greatest new snow depth was 10", then you would report 10" as the day's snowfall (not 12").

You might want to confirm with someone like Ray Martin; I am not 100% sure, but I think the phase change thing is handled differently as I mentioned above.

These days, the official standard for wiping a board in most instances is once per day and reporting the greatest depth prior to wiping as the snowfall. I think that it is not uniformly applied, even across first order climate stations, so it is understandable that there is a lot of confusion out there about how to measure snow. The irony is, I think they changed form the wipe no more than every 6 hours standard to reduce confusion :)

You're right and I don't understand why they (we) do it that way.

HRRR puts down 2 inches in the city and across the N shore of Long Island and between 1 and 2 from Monmouth County and across the S shore .

With an additional 3 in the LHV and SWCT

The 16z run has a pretty heavy burst for the entire area. It is great to see the echos continuing to build in SE PA and advect North. Coming down hard here for the time being.

Archived