CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "bobbit/ronald b" dude has TWO Twitter accounts and they're both going hard in the paint with tweet after tweet after tweet to Allan (RaleighWx)

What the hell is wrong with that dude?

Bobbit used to be on on here but didn't last long.  What a goob!

Most of our wintry precip comes from the initial overrunning, and it could be significant, as it was on the 00z Euro. I don't think most of us are envisioning an all-frozen event at this point, unless the UKMET pulls a coup.

Hard to get excited about a few hours of frozen which then gets washed away. The GFS and Euro has us getting to upper 50's.

Yeah, this storm has that written all over it IMO.  I guess the trend south is something to watch.  If it can get into GA/SC maybe it's a nice storm (like the UK shows currently?). But I still think this is a cutter or Apps runner and that's what we get, a shot of frozen followed by sweet, sweet cold rain. 

Am I the only one not impressed with the cold shot?  CLT is forecasted to go mid teens for lows and low 30s for highs.  That's cold sure, but it's nothing we don't see a few times a winter. 

Probably.

Highs in the 20s here on Sunday with lows possibly in the single digits on both Sunday and Monday mornings happens at most five days out of the year here in Hickory.  Thus, we're talking about something that happens less than 1.5% of the days of the year.  I call that impressive and memorable.

east or west?

BNA is a good spot, but really anywhere along and north I-40 I think would be OK, unless all of a sudden this thing doesn't dig down into TX.  Who knows really though, the models have been so bad at this range, I don't what we are seeing with model runs is what is going to verify.  Though once it gets inside day 4 I would think we would have some idea.  

Seeing the big high in the atlantic it's hard to imagine the low tracking anywhere but over us or NW west of us.

Probably.

Highs in the 20s here on Sunday with lows possibly in the single digits on both Sunday and Monday mornings happens at most five days out of the year here in Hickory.  Thus, we're talking about something that happens less than 1.5% of the days of the year.  I call that impressive and memorable.

Yeah, I guess if I had that forecast....single digit lows and mid 20 highs, that would indeed be impressive.  Teens and 30s not so much IMO.  I guess it could trend colder than that.  Perhaps the most impressive thing about it is the very low dew points, the evaporational cooling that could take place. 

BNA is a good spot, but really anywhere along and north I-40 I think would be OK, unless all of a sudden this thing doesn't dig down into TX.  Who knows really though, the models have been so bad at this range, I don't what we are seeing with model runs is what is going to verify.  Though once it gets inside day 4 I would think we would have some idea.  

Seeing the big high in the atlantic it's hard to imagine the low tracking anywhere but over us or NW west of us.

Agreed.  Synoptically this just does not seem to be a good set up.  Perhaps the high could trend more NW and the storm SE and we're in business. 

I'm quite excited about the potential here in Hickory.  First chance in a year.  As you can see in my sig below, I'm still waiting for even the first flake this winter season.  Trends overnight were wonderful, and I hope they continue going forward.  It's still 4+ days out, so it could turn out to be all rain once again, but I like my chances.

Archived