CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't multiquote on my phone but thanks all who caught me up! I was really hoping for the second storm here in Raleigh, don't think the tues storm will get it done but I'd love for it to trend south and east.

Has that model ever verified?  It always seems to be extreme.

It's just the operational starting conditions run as an ensemble at a much lower resolution. It's more useful in comparing the ensembles to the operational than it is by itself. If the control agrees fairly well with the operational then you can assume that the ensembles have the resolution to resolve the major features for a system/pattern. If they are wildly different then it suggests that either the operational is drunk again or perhaps the ensembles don't have the resolution to pick up on all of the features in an upcoming system.

Alright, this system has my interest. I am still worried though because of the models may pull another Lucy on us. This is about as close as we have been at 5 days out to possibly getting a good storm. Can we believe It this time? Should we do a snow dance and beg the models?I actually ordered a sled last week and am picking it up today. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. LoL

Jon, Seems the 0z euro has the slp going right over us.  That can't be good for these parts can it?

No, that's not good for our area.  Right now it's looking like we'll start as some kind of frozen precip then at some point switch to rain.  Moisture will be running out well ahead of the main system but we'll have to see how much.  I just never cared for winter storms that start as frozen then go to rain.

No, that's not good for our area.  Right now it's looking like we'll start as some kind of frozen precip then at some point switch to rain.  Moisture will be running out well ahead of the main system but we'll have to see how much.  I just never cared for winter storms that start as frozen then go to rain.

no, we need to stay all snow, no rain please.  :snowwindow:

The way it's looking right now I believe you will go over to rain at some point.  For your area it'd be a zr/ip to rn to sn.  Way too early to nail down p-types but you'll need a S and E trend to stay all frozen.

My weenie model watching experience tells me that at some point the Euro and the UK will meet in the middle. Hopefully that happens south of where the Euro is right now but I'm not sure anyone can do more than guess.

My weenie model watching experience tells me that at some point the Euro and the UK will meet in the middle. Hopefully that happens south of where the Euro is right now but I'm not sure anyone can do more than guess.

I'd say the Euro is probably way too amped up at the moment, which will probably be good for us if/when it comes around. The GFS at 06z came in less amped, so maybe the Euro will follow suit, too?

At this point, I have to think the UKMET's progressive bias may be at play, as well, though, so it is probably too far S/E. Of course, I hope it's on the money. It would be an amazing powder snowstorm with temperatures in the teens.

The way it's looking right now I believe you will go over to rain at some point.  For your area it'd be a zr/ip to rn to sn.  Way too early to nail down p-types but you'll need a S and E trend to stay all frozen.

I think for his area in Asheville, as well as my area, it would be snow to sleet/freezing rain to rain, with the freezing rain and sleet hanging on longer in the CAD areas.

Above 8,000 ft in the Rockies is where you gotta be for no rain and slop   :)

They have a saying in the SW Colorado mtns that the weather is either sunny or snowing...sounds nice

just read GSP discussion and they're talking about a warm nose.  I wish there wasn't such a thing, seems like that is in the forecast more often than not.

just read GSP discussion and they're talking about a warm nose.  I wish there wasn't such a thing, seems like that is in the forecast more often than not.

Just looking at the extracted data it looks like that the Asheville Regional Airport is running 3-5 degrees warmer at the surface during the main precip than Morganton-Lenoir Airport.  CAD at its finest.  

Jon, Seems the 0z euro has the slp going right over us. That can't be good for these parts can it?

Yeah that's no good. I haven't seen it but we definitely don't want a track over us, this needs to be off the coast but I'm not sure how we can trend from a cutter to that unless the models are really mishandling this storm and the cold.

Yeah, this storm has that written all over it IMO.  I guess the trend south is something to watch.  If it can get into GA/SC maybe it's a nice storm (like the UK shows currently?). But I still think this is a cutter or Apps runner and that's what we get, a shot of frozen followed by sweet, sweet cold rain. 

Am I the only one not impressed with the cold shot?  CLT is forecasted to go mid teens for lows and low 30s for highs.  That's cold sure, but it's nothing we don't see a few times a winter. 

I think for his area in Asheville, as well as my area, it would be snow to sleet/freezing rain to rain, with the freezing rain and sleet hanging on longer in the CAD areas.

it's a good bit of snow to sleet to freezing rain to all rain. Then back to snow and playing on the glacier in the yard.

Jon, Seems the 0z euro has the slp going right over us. That can't be good for these parts can it?

Most of our wintry precip comes from the initial overrunning, and it could be significant, as it was on the 00z Euro. I don't think most of us are envisioning an all-frozen event at this point, unless the UKMET pulls a coup.

Archived