joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31st-February 2nd overrunning snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS seem to be giving a little credence to a more northerly solution, but overall I'm not a huge fan of the synoptic setup. Quick moving, low amplitude s/w with downstream confluence. Seems like a good candidate for a more sheared out storm but there are always exceptions to the rule. We shall see.

I tend to agree with you, but it depends on far south the northern stream wave digs and how far east the southern stream wave can get (as far as the degree of NW shifting and amplification).

Well, the 12z EURO inched north, so I don't think it's time yet to throw in the towel. And temper your expectations. The goal is to get some shovellable snow up here, not a crippling snowstorm.

Meh, it shows 0.5-1" at the most. Nothing to get excited about. 

Edit: Here's a text output for YYZ. 

ECMWF FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

12Z JAN30

2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000 

TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500 

©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK 

SUN 18Z 01-FEB -10.2   -14.4    1025      67      73    0.01     537     518    

MON 00Z 02-FEB -11.2   -13.3    1022      71      80    0.02     534     517    

MON 06Z 02-FEB -13.5   -14.1    1019      75      77    0.02     530     516    

MON 12Z 02-FEB -16.6   -15.2    1019      76      38    0.01     526     512    

I tend to agree with you, but it depends on far south the northern stream wave digs and how far east the southern stream wave can get (as far as the degree of NW shifting and amplification).

I'll suspend drawing any conclusions until after the 0z suite. If the amped camp is wrong we should start to see some corrections back the other way.

Thanks for all the snowfall maps!   Was thinking yesterday at this time I'd like to instead be in Kenosha for this one. not really a huge difference in locations but this has that kenosha special feel to it.  Would like to see that west to east weenie band have a little more curve to the north east..  but one cant complain as the girth of this one is large

I'll suspend drawing any conclusions until after the 0z suite. If the amped camp is wrong we should start to see some corrections back the other way.

I'm personally waiting until 12z Saturday...

Sometimes, I noticed that models will over-amp storms when they're partially sampled then switch back to the former less-amped solution once full sampling occurs...

I'm personally waiting until 12z Saturday...

Sometimes, I noticed that models will over-amp storms when they're partially sampled then switch back to the former less-amped solution once full sampling occurs...

Feeling the same way.... I am not totally buying an 8-12" snowfall for Chicago, I am just not.

The GEM solutions are worth considering given that most of the uncertainty has stemmed from arctic energy and not the Pacific energy that everyone has been focusing on. The Canadian model has high resolution that far north. Plus, the whole purpose of that model is to handle Canadian energy well. This is probably why it was the first of all the models to show something similar to the present solutions several days ago.

As far as WPC, their model preferences are always just a least-commitment blend of the middle of the road guidance. The fact that they toss out models here and there doesn't mean anything. Plus, everyone on this board knows how to ignore an outlier already.

When does the Arctic wave get sampled by a raob?

I'm gonna go with 7-10" for now for LAF, which I feel splits the difference between really going all-in and jumping off a cliff because some models are advertising a blowtorch temp of 33 degrees.  850 mb low passes almost directly overhead on most 12z models (farther south on GGEM) which usually supports max totals being farther north.  Still some time to go and might have to adjust but that's my feeling for now.

I'm gonna go with 7-10" for now for LAF, which I feel splits the difference between really going all-in and jumping off a cliff because some models are advertising a blowtorch temp of 33 degrees.  850 mb low passes almost directly overhead on most 12z models (farther south on GGEM) which usually supports max totals being farther north.  Still some time to go and might have to adjust but that's my feeling for now.

Sounds like a reasonable call. I like IND's slightly more cautious 6-9" right now.

Sounds like a reasonable call. I like IND's slightly more cautious 6-9" right now.

If totals like this work out, should be interesting.  Seems like most of our 6+ storms lately have been of the fluffier variety.  I dig a wetter snow every now and then.

Radar is probably going to look ominous tomorrow with a big slug of rain advancing toward us, but should get enough evaporational cooling to enable us to start as snow or, at worst, a very brief shot of rain at onset.  Then all eyes are on temps.

Any meteorological evidence to back this up? Seems like a lot of things are going in one direction right now, and it isn't towards a bust.

None whatsoever.  And, I am not trying to preach "bust" or create any kind of conflict..  Also, it bears no further discussion, because it was kind of a stupid remark, and I probably should have kept that to myself.  So,I will just read, until I have something useful to offer. 

Archived