CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 31st-February 2nd overrunning snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, of course. I can happen. But there are also instances, like that of the early January clipper, where 20:1 ratios were being throw around like they were candy. I don't think that came close to verifying.

Very true.  I pretty much count on 10:1 ratios storm 0 to -9C at the 850; 12:1 for storms <-9C and 15:1 for LES IMBY.  I know this is just a gross generalization of a complicated calculation.  If I get better ratios I consider them a bonus and any thing less all I can say is what can you do.

Funny thing is DTX's AFD before that storm they noted the ratios would be closer to 12:1 as they mentioned something specific they didn't like for high ratios.  I don't remember the exact details.

First call for NW Ohio is 6-10". Has that classic cutting look to it with the low developing out of Kansas. Typically ones from there bode pretty well for the region. Only thing is I have not seen the models tilt the swath a bit, not to say it's not possible but typically with these systems it's at least a little SW-NE oriented

Liking the way the models are looking, however, we have a lot of dry air to overcome. Not sure if that's going to be much of an issue, but it's a negatating factor.

Always an issue around here.  I normally knock off a couple inches from the models due to dry air.  The NWS DTX office is pretty good about including it in their forecast.  In fact several years ago (8-9 years) I had a really good talk to one of the DTX METS (no longer works there) about the dry air we constantly fight here with storms as it seem we fight it more than other areas.

Interesting tidbit from ILX AFD.

Area Forecast Discussion
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
947 AM CST Fri Jan 30 2015

.UPDATE...
ISSUED AT 945 AM CST FRI JAN 30 2015

Little change needed to the morning forecast, but did update high
temperatures a degree or two in some areas. Band of altocumulus
in the upper Mississippi Valley is tracking southeast, but the
trajectory would favor the thicker clouds staying just to our
northeast. Some increase in cirrus expected from the west as well,
but skies generally to remain mostly sunny as ridge axis moves on
top of us.

Early look at the 12Z NAM for this weekend continues to favor the
northern half of the forecast area for the heavier snow amounts,
with the GFS just starting to arrive. Will be coordinating with
WPC and neighboring offices on any headlines, which may be issued
before the regular afternoon forecast package.

Always an issue around here.  I normally knock of a couple inches from the models due to dry air.  The NWS DTX office is pretty good about including it in their forecast.  In fact several years ago (8-9 years) I had a really good talk to one of the DTX METS (no longer works there) about the dry air we constantly fight here with storms as it seem we fight it more than other areas.

I agree. Luckily it's a long duration event like hm8 said earlier.

I remember one time in particular (2004ish) where we had winter storm watches posted 36 hours out, models all in agreement (even the ETA - remember that??), then warnings posted, but low and behold the dry air won that battle. Ended up with less than an inch. It was brutal.

Luckily this system has a lot going for it. Gulf/Pacific moisture and some potent cold air - upper 20's at the MI/IN/OH to 0° at the bridge.

Wouldn't be shocked if we ultimately see the models windshield wipe back south a bit but still, pretty spot on call by him (via text message) from a few days back.

This is my gut feeling as well. But if I can be greedy, I'm hoping for a bit more digging.

I agree. Luckily it's a long duration event like hm8 said earlier.

I remember one time in particular (2004ish) where we had winter storm watches posted 36 hours out, models all in agreement (even the ETA - remember that??), then warnings posted, but low and behold the dry air won that battle. Ended up with less than an inch. It was brutal.

Luckily this system has a lot going for it. Gulf/Pacific moisture and some potent cold air - upper 20's at the MI/IN/OH to 0° at the bridge.

Oh my gosh I remember that storm.  The Virga storm from hell!!!  There was one point it started snowing and I think some sneezed in Port Huron and push the dry air back into the storm (baam Virga).  We end with a couple inches but you were to rewatch composite radar it looks like we were should have been buried with 12"+.  That was a historic Virga storm.

I don't expect that with this storm at all but we will see the famed donut-hole for a bit on DTX radar at the start.  I know I will be annoyed for an hour or so.  Hopefully we can get a decent moisture surge so it doesn't last very long.

Archived