• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31st-February 2nd overrunning snow event

Thundersnow12

Oh my gosh I remember that storm.  The Virga storm from hell!!!  There was one point it started snowing and I think some sneezed in Port Huron and push the dry air back into the storm (baam Virga).  We end with a couple inches but you watched composite radar it looked like we were should have been buried with 12"+.  That was a historic Virga storm.

I don't expect that with this storm at all but we will see the famed donut-hole for a bit on DTX radar at the start.  I know I will be annoyed for an hour or so.  Hopefully we can get a decent moisture surge so it doesn't last very long.

Terrible storm... I was so mad lol

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh I remember that storm.  The Virga storm from hell!!!  There was one point it started snowing and I think some sneezed in Port Huron and push the dry air back into the storm (baam Virga).  We end with a couple inches but you were to rewatch composite radar it looks like we were should have been buried with 12"+.  That was a historic Virga storm.

I don't expect that with this storm at all but we will see the famed donut-hole for a bit on DTX radar at the start.  I know I will be annoyed for an hour or so.  Hopefully we can get a decent moisture surge so it doesn't last very long.

Was that the Jan 4-5, 2004 storm? I remember that being a huge bust here as well.

WSW up for IWX and LOT right behind them...

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTHERN INDIANA HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING
THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* HEAVY SNOW...6 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE

* BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...ESPECIALLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND
EVENING

CONFIDENCE...

* CONFIDENCE IS MEDIUM TO HIGH THAT HEAVY SNOW WILL OCCUR...
HOWEVER THERE IS LOWER CONFIDENCE IN EXACT AMOUNTS AND THE
EXACT LOCATION OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW

I'm not too worried yet. I suspect we'll see some correction south at the last minute. Even the NAM is still 98% snow even if surface Ts pop a bit above freezing.

Gotta admit that I'm getting nervous, but you're right that the NAM is mostly snow.  A slightly cooler trend at the surface would sure help.  One thing that's becoming increasingly clear is that this should be a real paste job for us, until the latter stage of the storm.

Gotta admit that I'm getting nervous, but you're right that the NAM is mostly snow.  A slightly cooler trend at the surface would sure help.  One thing that's becoming increasingly clear is that this should be a real paste job for us, until the latter stage of the storm.

I would be surprised to see your precip values edge up, but snowfall amounts stay the same....  You'll be moving wet concrete for sure.

I don't like our snowfall chances at all, but even a couple of inches on top of a decent slug of rainfall should make for quite the skating rink on Monday. Might be pretty nasty.

Archived