joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31st-February 2nd overrunning snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And IND is on board now. Looks like I-70 corridor and north for the WSW. My initial call is no more than 6" here. Temps need a little more look to feel more confident about my call.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* ACCUMULATIONS: 6 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE.

* BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...ESPECIALLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND
EVENING.

IMPACTS...

* SNOW COVERED ROADS WITH VERY HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

* BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

TIMING...

* THE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING. HOWEVER...THE MAJORITY OF THE SNOW ACCUMULATION IS
ANTICIPATED TO OCCUR BETWEEN EARLY SUNDAY MORNING AND EARLY
SUNDAY EVENING. ALSO THIS IS WHEN MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS
MOST LIKELY TO TAKE PLACE.

CONFIDENCE...

* CONFIDENCE IS MEDIUM TO HIGH THAT HEAVY SNOW WILL OCCUR...
HOWEVER THERE IS LOWER CONFIDENCE IN EXACT AMOUNTS AND THE
EXACT LOCATION OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW.

I don't like our snowfall chances at all, but even a couple of inches on top of a decent slug of rainfall should make for quite the skating rink on Monday. Might be pretty nasty.

I think we're ok still.  Not for max amounts but a good dumping.  Cannot have any more north/warm trend whatsoever though.

Where's all this rain that you're talking about?  Model soundings from various models are all or just about all snow.

Haven't known the UKIE to have a dramatic wet bias, so that is interesting.

Yeah. 12z run is toasty too. IND makes a run at 45˚.

I think we're ok still.  Not for max amounts but a good dumping.  Cannot have any more north/warm trend whatsoever though.

Meh, I've thrown in the towel on much of any snowfall for us. Plus, we all know how WAA is handled by these wonderful models...

Always an issue around here. I normally knock off a couple inches from the models due to dry air. The NWS DTX office is pretty good about including it in their forecast. In fact several years ago (8-9 years) I had a really good talk to one of the DTX METS (no longer works there) about the dry air we constantly fight here with storms as it seem we fight it more than other areas.

Just out of curiosity, how did that discussion go? What were the conclusions concerning that issue?

Nice. Greater than 8" along/southeast of Winthrop Harbor to Dixon line? I like it and agree.

Yep, that's basically how our new storm total grid looks. Liking the lake enhancement transitioning to lake effect fluff late Sunday night into Monday morning. Over 200 j/kg of lake induced CAPE on the ORD BUFKIT sounding from the NAM. Inversion heights aren't that high (almost 6kft) but really good omega right through the DGZ.

I'd say the 12z GEFS as a whole are slightly further north than the OP, but nothing jaw dropping.

Couple Ukie/NAM and a couple south with an overall slightly north look but all have MBY getting at least some accumulation which is nice to see.

Just out of curiosity, how did that discussion go? What were the conclusions concerning that issue?

I'll PM you to keep it out of this thread

It's still 2 days out. Gotta be sure the NAM/RGEM aren't pulling the old okie-doke with their (relatively-speaking) uber-amped solutions...

GEFS seem to be giving a little credence to a more northerly solution, but overall I'm not a huge fan of the synoptic setup. Quick moving, low amplitude s/w with downstream confluence. Seems like a good candidate for a more sheared out storm but there are always exceptions to the rule. We shall see.

Area Forecast Discussion

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

1136 AM CST Fri Jan 30 2015

.UPDATE...

ISSUED AT 1135 AM CST FRI JAN 30 2015

After coordination with WPC and surrounding offices, a winter

storm watch is being issued for a large part of our forecast area,

except along and south of I-70. Forecast soundings from the

southeast CWA indicate a fair amount of mixed precip or even rain

on Sunday, lowering the threat of significant snowfall in that

area. Further north, heavier amounts of 6-8 inches are indicated

north of a Havana to Paris line, with the heaviest snow axis

expected to set up a little further north in east central

Illinois. Updated products will be out shortly.

Yep, that's basically how our new storm total grid looks. Liking the lake enhancement transitioning to lake effect fluff late Sunday night into Monday morning. Over 200 j/kg of lake induced CAPE on the ORD BUFKIT sounding from the NAM. Inversion heights aren't that high (almost 6kft) but really good omega right through the DGZ.

Seems like we're on the same page. Also like how the mid-upper levels stay fairly saturated till about 12z Monday.

The Euro has a similar track to the 12z GFS/GGEM.

The NAM/UKIE/RGEM are in there own camp. I feel more comfortable saying the GFS/EURO/GGEM are the way to go with this one. Looks like I'm out of this one? 

Well, the 12z EURO inched north, so I don't think it's time yet to throw in the towel. And temper your expectations. The goal is to get some shovellable snow up here, not a crippling snowstorm.

Archived