joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bust of the Century January 26-27 2015 model suites and discussions

Morris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening everyone...yes today's NWS forecasts were heavily weighted toward the 12Z NAM/ECMWF...no secret there if you read the WPC QPF discussion. Seeing 850 winds whose u-component was I think +6 SD's beyond the mean (to say nothing of a fetch from almost beyond Nova Scotia, something I have not seen since Sandy) tends to make one think big on snowfall. My forecast of 24-30" (the graphics showing 24-36" are a little misleading) may be a little broad-brushed, and depends on where the most intense banding sets up. As usual I think it'll be west/north of model forecast and more along a line from Danbury to NYC than from Hartford to Huntington. Will probably be widespread 18-24" with a band of at least 24-30". GFS was totally discounted due to its more progressive solution...no loop-de-loop near or inside the benchmark late Mon night-Tue from a Miller B storm of this magnitude? C'mon now.

the knowledge combined with the modesty and the down to earth nature of the explanation of the decision making. Hats off sir. And here's hoping we break 30 in Central Park. Wonderful job by Upton on this and I can see why now

Anyone concerned about temperatures. We are at 36 right now and suppose to go down to 24, with cloud cover not sure how cold it will get my morning when the snow starts.

2xus_sf.gif

The cold front is approaching the area now. It will get to mid 20's by midnight.

Anyone concerned about temperatures. We are at 36 right now and suppose to go down to 24, with cloud cover not sure how cold it will get my morning when the snow starts.

26 / 12 with north wind in NW NJ. Patience the cold is filtering south.

based on analysis in here - best to wait on plumes before taking any interpretation 

Define "analysis"  :axe:

Btw, if one wants to see for their own eyes, the SREF's are available here: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=SREF&area=NAMER&ps=area

And the plumes here: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150125&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=LGA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.567809858963095&mLON=-73.70683348999023&mTYP=roadmap

You can change the plume to your location by clicking on the map. You also have to change to the most recent run at the top of the screen. 21z is just coming out.

Define "analysis"  :axe:

Btw, if one wants to see for their own eyes, the SREF's are available here: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=SREF&area=NAMER&ps=area

And the plumes here: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150125&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=LGA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.567809858963095&mLON=-73.70683348999023&mTYP=roadmap

You can change the plume to your location by clicking on the map. You also have to change to the most recent run at the top of the screen. 21z is just coming out.

ha that was my point - and yup, just waiting for them to load... went from 21 to 22 in LGA, if we can remain above 18 this run ill be pleased..

That easterly jet is why I'm convinced a number of people will see more than 30". That's going to set up some incredible snow banding where it'll snow 4"+ per hour easy. That's a direct fetch from the Atlantic being lifted by the explosive cyclogenesis.

I've been talking about it all day, and JB as well as JC and a few others believe many will see 20:1/30:1 ratios overnight Monday into Tuesday.. Even someone at 1.0qpf could end up at 18-20"

Archived