SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS may have gone from being in the futility race a week ago to the epic run by Wednesday. As of yesterday BOS had 5.5. Today should double+ that and the new sum may be tripled by mid week.

Probably better suited for the pattern thread, and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but there's more right on the heals of 1/27...1/30 is trending much better and there's a fairly robust signal for 2/1-2/2

Sorry Kevin... Didn't see you had this thread :)     ...I've been having PC issues this morning so just performed a sys restore...  

Anyway, this event is intriguing for me, in that it was suspect over the last couple of days with regard to the models, et al, handling the wave length between the western ridge, and the eastern trough, amid this particular period/details.. of a +PNAP pattern.  I mentioned this yesterday or the day before, that I was holding out optimism(pessimism) based upon the relay off the Pacific ocean into the denser more materialized sounding grid, and certainly enough... it appears the physics are compensating for the erstwhile "over" stretched look to the larger circulation character.

The result is that the multi-dynamical jets piling up into the eastern trough are being forced to phase ...ever more across successive model runs.  This may in fact be a uniquely qualified NAM performance opportunity because all of the mechanics are within it's processing domain at this point, and I have personally noted that although this model more often than not leaves me in a state of neck rubbing distraction ... there are times when it does perform well, if perhaps ignored due to its reputation, and having all of the sampling squarely inside it's domain is almost always occurred when it does perform better. 

In this case, we have a correction that is also applying to the other models.  The 00z unilaterally started this trend. Even the 06z GFS, though leaving still some to be desired (not just sensibly but sense-ably), closes off the 500mb 528dm surface some 6 hours sooner and farther back SW on average.  

Trends I think, if not suspect, will continue as these other models roll out here over the next few minutes/hours. 

So essentially what we are seeing in how this plays out ...

post-904-0-14690100-1422116985_thumb.jpg

The multi-dynamic wave structure pours down the negative aspect of the emerging eastern long wave trough amplitude ... as the western ridge flexes/repositions E more between 110-120 longitude, which is really quite ideal for a Del Marva mid level closure in both climo and wave length arguments.  Hence the eye-brow raising  over previous east positions... But now we see that the wave structure slows dramatically as it nears the middle Atlantic states, usurped to do so by the larger scale synoptic wave length argument.   It's really quite analogous to a wave piling up just before it curls against the shallows of the shore.  

Archived