• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

So in general Windsor doesn't get screwed in events like this because of its elevation or anything? I am not familiar with the area obviously. Sorry to clutter up the thread.

unless you are under some mesoscale type of band, the valley usually will get less snow than the surrounding hills, but there is a lot to do and it is a convenient location. Unless there's a significant upslope signal , it usually isn't that extreme maybe a 24 in the surrounding hills might bring you down to 18-20.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Wankums team has screwed up the outputs like 4 times in a row

That stuff shouldn't be posted anyway. Tenths of an inch on snow algorithms on model runs shown to the general public. Good idea. Just show your own damn forecast! That's what the general person wants.

do you have AWD? if so, head to any place but be ready to re-locate once the deform band forms lol

awesome

Ya, I mean at this point with some ideas on track to be worked out it Is not yet time to pick a spot, but I would eliminate a few and BDL is too risky to get downsloped to be considered a top option.

IF Euro doesn't trend east over next couple runs I personally would look for a spot elevated in W SNE. Thou I would defer to what some of the Best Mets in the Area think about them being "safe" to see 2 feet plus.  They will get crushed with easterly inflow (upslope enhancement) and then could get serious banding. So ya I think if Euro doesn't shift east a tad with stall or track that is where I would go. Looking for anything upslope over 1300' or so as close to the high spots of noted jackpot magnets. Savoy and Peru , MA. But if shifts east  a lot, you will be reliving the movie deliverance out there.

It looks like the banding and inflow would still be sick on the GFS track out there, looking at ML low track

The last 1-2 seasons it happens EVERY time.  Only year it didn't was the year of the big M-A blizzards.

It's maddening to watch the SW edge tick away when you're near it.  For SNE/ENE/C/NE it's mostly very much game on, and for some of the fringers like James it's better news.

Pretty noticeable at H5 early on as the trough did not dig to southern FL like the Nam did

I think its going to be tough to make Blizzard criteria unless your on the Cape & Islands. As well as Long Island. Elsewhere I think its more for wording and precaution to folks. However I don't work for those WFO's so I don't know. Just my two sense.

I think while most locals outside of SE MA wont meet the criteria but in a region wide 1-2' storm, its best to hoist them up to alert the public of how big of an impact this system will have. 

I think its going to be tough to make Blizzard criteria unless your on the Cape & Islands. As well as Long Island. Elsewhere I think its more for wording and precaution to folks. However I don't work for those WFO's so I don't know. Just my two sense.

Why? Not anticipating big winds, or heavy snowfall rates?

Pretty noticeable at H5 early on as the trough did not dig to southern FL like the Nam did

It doesn't have much of an effect for the posters here, it will curtail snows pretty dramatically in NJ etc.  I think it's a very valid trend just based on model performance/issues the last two seasons.   There was one case last winter where even the Euro was suffering the same fate in being way too far SW and gradually shifted those bands NE.

I like blizzard criteria for the Cape, PYM perhaps Bristol and up into coastal MA north.

the 48 hour map on the GFS and similar on the RGEM are just astounding.

Yeah that's my point. Outside of of SE Mass & tip of LI its just for wording and to convince people to stay off the roads. 

I think while most locals outside of SE MA wont meet the criteria but in a region wide 1-2' storm, its best to hoist them up to alert the public of how big of an impact this system will have. 

The last 1-2 seasons it happens EVERY time.  Only year it didn't was the year of the big M-A blizzards.

It's maddening to watch the SW edge tick away when you're near it.  For SNE/ENE/C/NE it's mostly very much game on, and for some of the fringers like James it's better news.

ene Tic is music to my ears.

It is very difficult to get 

Blizzard Criteria: Heavy Snow, Less than 1/4mi visibility and 35mph sustained winds for 3 hours

Over larger land mass that is a challenge. The Cape and Long Island have more ocean surrounding them. 

Why? Not anticipating big winds, or heavy snowfall rates?

Archived