• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Possible Weekend Snowstorm, Jan 24 2015

ineedsnow

I wouldn't put it past some to disagree with your first statement :)

Looking at the detailed GFS maps on weatherbell, it gets most up to +1 to +2 at 850 which is pretty warm compared to the others, which are less than +1 at the height of it. Would have to be overdoing the warmth fairly substantially, but we've seen the GFS do that before. I wouldn't toss it entirely, but I'm sort of skeptical that it gets that warm. Combine the GFS and the EURO and you have a 2-4/3-6" deal for many, which given what we've seen so far this winter, I think we'd all be happy about.

Tearing my hair out forecasting it, that's for sure. But, it's the most fun that way ;)

For a 48-54 hour forecast, it's really not that substantial. It's even a bit less than that for areas like BOS. It looks like the warm layer there at 48h is 0.8C.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with the GFS? Man that model is all over the place. It had no impact at all with a SE miss up until 6z this morning...now at 18z its one of the furthest north with the precip and mid-level warmth. I mean this new GFS swings all over the place, it seems wildly unstable.

Yup. I wouldn't feel good using it. 12z euro ticked cooler than 0z while gfs goes other way. upgrade ftl imo.

Yup. I wouldn't feel good using it. 12z euro ticked cooler than 0z while gfs goes other way. upgrade ftl imo.

I just wish they or someone else would run the old GFS, even just twice a day, for comparison purposes.  The higher resolution is probably causing it to over-react to certain parameters, so in the end it can come up with a completely different look each time.

I said a couple days ago that the GFS swings all over like a Dam Ape, and a poster thought I wasn't accurate in my opinion on that. Glad Powderfreak agrees with me...the thing goes from one extreme to the other in 6 hours. I think the increased resolution has made it unstable moreso than ever, but I don't know anything about model physics so maybe that's way off lol.

We came up with this earlier, think it might be a little too high in some spots but we work as a team and this was the consensus between the three of us. Specifically, I want to pull the 2-5" north a bit, shrink the 4-7", and perhaps pull the 2-5" to the whole coastline. We decided to keep it 3-6" though because SWCT seems to always grab weenie bands in situations like this with front end and models have been trending stronger on front end so it's better to be a little high than low on that I think.

For everyone else, I like the BOX map almost verbatim, perhaps 3-5" in some of their 2-4" spots but that's about the only change I'd make.

post-8652-0-33810300-1421969190_thumb.jp

LOL..Ryan painstakingly and purposely drew the line right to the east..It will kill him when we end up in that zone

Ryan Hanrahan ‏@ryanhanrahan  1h

Here's what we're going with now - but man this is a tough call. Worst during the day Saturday.

B7_InxLCUAAuQ3r.png

Many people were involved in that decision including Joe D, Scott, and Phil. 

We came up with this earlier, think it might be a little too high in some spots but we work as a team and this was the consensus between the three of us. 

For MA, I like the BOX map almost verbatim, perhaps 3-5" in some of their 2-4" spots but that's about the only change I'd make.

2/10 of ice accretion?? Huh?

2/10 of ice accretion?? Huh?

First off, up to. Secondly, all three of us don't think low level cold is going anywhere, you can see it hanging on well on the hires models which don't warm a lot of the interior above 32 either at all or not until several hours after the 850s have gone above freezing. Not sure if it would be IP or ZR, but it's worth mentioning.

First off, up to. Secondly, all three of us don't think low level cold is going anywhere, you can see it hanging on well on the hires models which don't warm a lot of the interior above 32 either at all or not until several hours after the 850s have gone above freezing. Not sure if it would be IP or ZR, but it's worth mentioning.

sure is, there are sigs for that in Bufkit in spots, this is IJD GFS Bufkit

150124/1200Z 42 VRB01KT 30.1F SNPL 12:1| 0.3|| 0.01|| 0.00|| 0.026 12:1| 0.3|| 0.01|| 0.00|| 0.03 87| 5| 8

150124/1500Z 45 03004KT 32.1F FZRA 0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.139 12:1| 0.3|| 0.01|| 0.00|| 0.16 0| 0|100

Archived