joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon, I think you're the only one left with any energy about this one! :)

Fat lady is warming up for sure....temp has been hung at 36 or so here for hours now not feeling it for sure.....so in all a pretty typical marginal setup that if it broke our way would have been a decent little event but of course it will end up not going our way meh.....

Maybe it doesn't pick up on drizzle and mist well? :yikes:

I know you joke but freezing drizzle can cause problems. The radar still looks like it is filling in a little with light returns. This means between these returns there is probably drizzle. Once that mess gets up here we should be at freezing or below and at least see some glaze.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gsp&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

It's sad but you take what you can.

Fat lady is warming up for sure....temp has been hung at 36 or so here for hours now not feeling it for sure.....so in all a pretty typical marginal setup that if it broke our way would have been a decent little event but of course it will end up not going our way meh.....

Wait.  You mean the original euro from a few days ago might hold?  :)

I know you joke but freezing drizzle can cause problems. The radar still looks like it is filling in a little with light returns. This means between these returns there is probably drizzle. Once that mess gets up here we should be at freezing or below and at least see some glaze.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gsp&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

It's sad but you take what you can.

Drizzle at 33 is just drizzle. :( I'm gonna come on here at 12:00 and photoshop Jon's quote of 31 degrees at midnight onto a snapshot of the RDU temp/dew point showing 35/34. :D

Phil- can you move those maps east a bit? We might have some problems here in Hampton Roads.

Phil,

I second that request. Would be really nice if you can move east a bit.

Done... next model cycle which will start running shortly will be centered at South Hill, VA (KAVC)

Of course we had all that rain yesterday and tonight we are struggling to find any. It should not be so hard for central NC to get winter weather with our location on the east coast and north enough to get cold temps. I don't know what has happened since the 80s but we could always count on at least one good snow and ice storm every winter then.

Well my truck read 34 on the way home and the temp on my porch reads 34.4 as well, PGV finally moved after hrs of 36 to 34 and well 34 is close to 32.... we where not progged to get below freezing till after midnight if we get down to 32 before midnight then the cold air might be coming trough for us after all.

Misting vigorously in SE Wake!! Thankfully, the roads are still passable and I made it home. I was this close to turning on the wipers.

This made my night. 

Nothing in Charlotte, GSP puts CLT at .01" of accumulation of ice. Why even bother with a freezing ran advisory LOL 

Archived