• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

Yeah, not likely at this point.  Temp still at 38 with the dew point increasing to 31 at RDU.  Not trending in the right direction.  I know colder/drier air is working in.  But it's always delayed it seems.  Oh well.  At least the LR is looking brighter...for today.

Yeah I know, sucks even with a 1041 MB high in a favorable spot we cant seem to pull it off...it will get just cold enough for a few hrs right around 5am to freeze my truck up so it takes me 30 mins to get it clear to go to work in the morning then it will warm up and melt everything as soon as I get to work.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know, sucks even with a 1041 MB high in a favorable spot we cant seem to pull it off...it will get just cold enough for a few hrs right around 5am to freeze my truck up so it takes me 30 mins to get it clear to go to work in the morning then it will warm up and melt everything as soon as I get to work.

Such is life while living in eastern NC.

Important highlights of the RAH AFD:

ARRIVAL OF COLD AIR TONIGHT DELAYED SEVERAL HOURS

RECENT RADAR TRENDS SEEM TO BE UNDERPERFORMING GUIDANCE

WOULD FAVOR THE MEAN OR LIGHTER PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS

Typical winter weather event in NC.

Edit:  But, at least it's something.  It's going to turn out about how I thought it would a few days ago, although I was hoping it would trend more substantially.

you missed the context. "ESPECIALLY ACROSS LOCATIONS NEAR THE SOUTH CAROLINA

BORDER AND ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL COASTAL PLAIN." 

9pm-12am when Raleigh will reach freezing is a large amount of time difference, IMO.

"RECENT RADAR TRENDS SEEM TO BE UNDERPERFORMING GUIDANCE

ACROSS THE GULF COAST REGION AND SAVANNAH RIVER VALLEY. GIVEN THE

PATTERN OF A PROGRESSIVE WAVE WITH RATHER SHALLOW SATURATION AND

ISENTROPIC LIFT...WOULD FAVOR THE MEAN OR LIGHTER PRECIPITATION

AMOUNTS. HAVE ACCORDINGLY INCLUDED STORM TOTAL PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS

OF AROUND 0.07 AT GSO TO .23 AT RDU TO .42 AT FAY AN GSB."

0.23-0.42" isn't bad...

For what it's worth, I measured a temp of 36.0 degrees about 30 minutes ago with a handheld thermometer in south raleigh... don't know if RDU is just warm or whether my device is too cold.

Durham is at 37/30, Henderson is 36/29, Rocky Mount is 39/31,  Smithfield is 39/34, and Sanford is 38/36, all as of roughly 4:00 pm

you missed the context. "ESPECIALLY ACROSS LOCATIONS NEAR THE SOUTH CAROLINA

BORDER AND ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL COASTAL PLAIN." 

9pm-12am when Raleigh will reach freezing is a large amount of time difference, IMO.

"RECENT RADAR TRENDS SEEM TO BE UNDERPERFORMING GUIDANCE

ACROSS THE GULF COAST REGION AND SAVANNAH RIVER VALLEY. GIVEN THE

PATTERN OF A PROGRESSIVE WAVE WITH RATHER SHALLOW SATURATION AND

ISENTROPIC LIFT...WOULD FAVOR THE MEAN OR LIGHTER PRECIPITATION

AMOUNTS. HAVE ACCORDINGLY INCLUDED STORM TOTAL PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS

OF AROUND 0.07 AT GSO TO .23 AT RDU TO .42 AT FAY AN GSB."

0.23-0.42" isn't bad...

It might not show on radar but it's very wet outside here. There has been a super duper heavy drizzle with light rain here for hours..so much so that if it was freezing it would actually add up pretty nicely on exposed surfaces.  So it's probably a bit wetter than they realize upstream. Whether that means much or not for rdu/north carolina I don't know but it certainly is not dry here.

It might not show on radar but it's very wet outside here. There has been a super duper heavy drizzle with light rain here for hours..so much so that if it was freezing it would actually add up pretty nicely on exposed surfaces.  So it's probably a bit wetter than they realize upstream. Whether that means much or not for rdu/north carolina I don't know but it certainly is not dry here.

Radar is starting to build a little bit westward into SC(..keeping the hope alive):

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=GSP&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Archived