• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

Even with the models backing off on totals, that's still a lot of moisture building to our south (even if it is light). We need to get these temps to drop below freezing and we can still have at least an interesting event. **dew point down to 21 in Farmville VA, teens at Richmond. .

Lets see if the sun setting might be good enough to get temps down a few degrees most places....36 over 34 here in Greenville need that DP to slide on down

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting, but if you've been through enough storms in this area, you see a pattern w/ the people here. The day before everyone get's amped over the HI-RES NAM/WRF combo's (our in house say's so and so)... Then w/in the 12 hours before anything starts the models start converging on something reasonable and everyone's emotions go into the toilet and believe we'll get nothing. It get's tiring after seeing it for the past decade lol. Anyways I think RDU looks good for a solid .2 or so of zr late tonight/tomorrow morning with a dusting of sleet on the grass/roads. Temps will struggle to get above freezing tomorrow w/ the cad/soupy airmass in place and there will not be any WAA due to the SLP being offshore. So freezing drizzle will be an issue tomorrow too. Overall I think it will be a decent system and cause lots of issues tomorrow morning on the roads.

Again, shouldn't we be tracking wetbulb rather than strictly looking at temp or dewpoint?  Charlottesville wetbulb is 26.

TW

In theory, yes...but not until precip is around the corner usually.

Dewpoint depression-- Determines wet-bulb cooling potential. I have found the (1/3 - 5) rule to work successfully for temperature near freezing. When the dewpoint depression is less than 5, very little cooling takes place when precipitation begins because the air is so close to saturation. The 1/3 -5 rule is as follows: Take the dewpoint depression, subtract 5 from it, divide this number by 3, subtract this number from the temperature. This gives the temperature that will result from evaporational cooling. For example suppose the temperature is 35 and the dewpoint is 18. The dewpoint depression is 35 F - 18 F = 17 , 17 - 5 = 12, 12/3 = 4. This results in evaporational cooling giving a temperature of 35 - 4 = 31 F. Wet-bulb cooling can change rain to freezing rain, sleet or snow. Wet-bulb cooling will move the freezing line into regions that were originally above freezing even the absence of CAA. WAA and wet-bulb cooling will partially or completely offset each other.

+100!!!

So many unknowns...not sure how anyone can get disappointed where we stand right now...on the other hand, when it becomes nowcast time and radar doesnt fill in, then jump.

The strength of the cold air is everything, we need it to really overperform and or hang out a bit longer than modeled. I am not sure but I thought someone said earlier it as a bit stronger and deeper in VA than modeled on their latest soundings.... hopefully that translate downstream to NC.

It's interesting, but if you've been through enough storms in this area, you see a pattern w/ the people here. The day before everyone get's amped over the HI-RES NAM/WRF combo's (our in house say's so and so)... Then w/in the 12 hours before anything starts the models start converging on something reasonable and everyone's emotions go into the toilet and believe we'll get nothing. It get's tiring after seeing it for the past decade lol. Anyways I think RDU looks good for a solid .2 or so of zr late tonight/tomorrow morning with a dusting of sleet on the grass/roads. Temps will struggle to get above freezing tomorrow w/ the cad/soupy airmass in place and there will not be any WAA due to the SLP being offshore. So freezing drizzle will be an issue tomorrow too. Overall I think it will be a decent system and cause lots of issues tomorrow morning on the roads.

Great post right there.

Greg Fishel is not impressed.  Said temps may hover at 32 all night long and the roads are warm since we haven't been below freezing since sunday.

he busted already this year he needs to sit this one out for a bit.... :)

Still 38 here in Rawlee. I think the mercury is gonna struggle to fall to freezing and we have a nice chilly mist all night. Best case scenario all the way around.

I think not...temps should hit 31 in Raleigh before midnight quote me on it.

Yea things definitely aren't looking good for a significant ice accumulation.... the 15 h HRRR forecast suggests most people over most of NC are still < 0.25" by daybreak with most of the Raleigh metro area < 0.10" of liquid precip (totals are provided at ASOS stations and other 1st order stations). Best spots for a glaze appear to be the far NE corner of NC near the VA border. Even here temperatures will be marginal, but totals should be between 0.1 to 0.25" which will allow for more significant ice accretion. 

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

oY5d2o5.png

Yea things definitely aren't looking good for a significant ice accumulation.... the 15 h HRRR forecast suggests most people over most of NC are still < 0.25" by daybreak with most of the Raleigh metro area < 0.10" of liquid precip (totals are provided at ASOS stations and other 1st order stations). Best spots for a glaze appear to be the far NE corner of NC near the VA border. Even here temperatures will be marginal, but totals should be between 0.1 to 0.25" which will allow for more significant ice accretion. 

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

Hmm...latest HRRR(21z) is wetter than previous, especially in Eastern NC...temps lacking though but the moisture is there.

pTbWFIF.png

I agree with this... it won't be a substantial system (in NC) by any means, but thing might be tricky tomorrow morning as temperatures hover near 32 degrees at the surface for a large region with foggy conditions. It will be colder immediately aloft so its possible larger trees may see a glaze that will become noticeable even if temps at 2m are slightly above freezing. 

Hmm...latest HRRR(21z) is wetter than previous, especially in Eastern NC...temps lacking though but the moisture is there.

The 21z HRRR did tick a bit upward with precip totals further east although it stayed relatively steady for the Raleigh/Durham area. And you are exactly right...where there will be significant precip, the temperatures will be even more marginal in NC. The most problematic region is increasingly looking like SE Virginia (which is just on the edge of my maps but show plenty of locations still receiving measurable precip at 1200 UTC with temps < 30F). Those regions might experience more meaningful precip that will make the ice accumulation more problematic. 

Coocp9a.png

915Qnyb.png

Archived