joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 12-14 Minor Ice and Snow Disco/Obs

Bob Chill

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the brine is why most storms get slippery. the brine melts the first flakes then refreezes, making ice under snow pack.

I have been plowing before and since this liquid nightmare, I can say that when my plow is down on a pretreted road the plow skates, when I plow areas that are not pretreated they clean up almost to asphalt.

also I'm no chemist. since pretreat came about I can't get a plow truck to last more then 3 years, in the days before pretreat I could get 10 or more from a fleet.

warning to you if you use a car wash, most car wash places recycle the water, so you are basically washing your car with salt water and the liquid death they put on the roads.

DC Public Schools 2 Hour Delay.....am I missing something?

https://twitter.com/dcpublicschools/status/554483354918486018

36/16 in Spotsylvania....

I can't speak for DC as I am NW of there, but it is getting icy here. Sidewalks that are not treated could be very slick ( that is the case here with temps above freezing) I'm guessing that DC has a lot of students who walk to school, so that may be the deciding factor.

I just took a short walk here and my driveway was treacherous and the temp is still above freezing here. I'm guessing your area will get icy in the next hour or so, but who cares...lol

It took a while but now down below freezing in Clarksburg at 31.9F / 22F on a SW wind of 2mph. I've started accreating immediately on everything when the rain started, even when the temp/DP was 36F / 16F so it's pretty slick out there. It's not that crusty ice that you can scrape off of the pavement with your shoe when the air is below freezing but there's some residual warmth in the ground, it's the kind that only a warmup or chemical will remove. Should be interesting in the morning.

On the radar - it is S PA and also much of Maryland who is getting sacked with tons of precip. I am getting pixie rain. You know, drizzle. It is NOT freezing. It is hitting the ground and running off just like in the summer. Thank g-d for abundant sunshine earlier today - it really warmed up the roads and sidewalks, and good thing I live at 65 feet elevation above the beautiful blue Atlantic. My near beach level elevation has saved me from many a crippling ice storm over the 40 years I have lived here since 1967.

I think my rain will be drizzly and light showery for the most part until about 9 or 10am Monday morning when it will become much heavier and start to wash away all the ucky grime that coats a lot of stuff here in Dale City.

We need a good, proper soaking rain down here.

And we are going to get one, about an inch's worth of good, soaking rain through early Monday night.

We're praying for you all in the mountains and in Maryland north, because you got about 90000 huge truckloads of freezing rain that will annihilate you right through tomorrow night. You might want to hit up Wal Mart and buy about twenty blankets just in case you lose power, because after all the ZR up there, it is going to get terribly COLD again.

EDIT - I have steady regular rain now. 35 degrees/ All surfaces wet. Not even the metal fence has any ice. This is an elevation dependent / latitude dependent icestorm. It should stay 35 degrees all night then warm to 47 tomorrow afternoon.

It took a while but now down below freezing in Clarksburg at 31.9F / 22F on a SW wind of 2mph. I've started accreating immediately on everything when the rain started, even when the temp/DP was 36F / 16F so it's pretty slick out there. It's not that crusty ice that you can scrape off of the pavement with your shoe when the air is below freezing but there's some residual warmth in the ground, it's the kind that only a warmup or chemical will remove. Should be interesting in the morning.

Yeah...I'm glad I parked my truck at the top of my driveway...

Archived