joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 12-14 Minor Ice and Snow Disco/Obs

Bob Chill

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was last night's 6z run the first for the Para as the main gfs?

if so, it gave BWI .10" qpf for today

no 12z was tho it's the same model that's been running they just redirected a server or something

This reminds me of years ago when it would be snowing lightly and the radar would show nothing and the TV met would say how the radar can't pick up on light precip especially snow.

In the 9 years I've lived in the area I've noticed in many situations radar has issues when the snow is originating from a low cloud deck. Our elevation combined with more distance from the radar then most places is probably to blame. Sometimes it snows with nothing on radar and others it looks like it should and is not.

In the 9 years I've lived in the area I've noticed in many situations radar has issues when the snow is originating from a low cloud deck. Our elevation combined with more distance from the radar then most places is probably to blame. Sometimes it snows with nothing on radar and others it looks like it should and is not.

That could be it. Last year on 1/28 with another cold airmass and a southern system that grazed the area the same thing happened. Got a half inch of snow and the radar was basically dry.

snowtown's don't have wwa's for moisture starved systems.

The other day, Hartford had a WWA and schools were shut down. They ended up with 34 degree rain. You'd think that in New England, they wouldn't shut down school unless there's at least a foot of snow, but that's what happened.

Archived