Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 12-14 Minor Ice and Snow Disco/Obs

Bob Chill

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A band has formed over northern VA. I have steady snow with light graupel mixed in. It is 24 degrees with a 13 degree dewpoint. We have surface frigidization, which means that the snow is sticking on all surfaces, right from flake 1.

Good morning... I hope you enjoy the snow! It does appear that rush hour in the DC beltway could be a challenge.

The area in northern VA where this band is setting up reminds me of this post http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45349-jan-12-14-minor-ice-and-snow-discoobs/?p=3255083 that Doorman made that showed the divergence and other parameters - the diagrams he posted showed exactly where this band set up.

EDIT - The band is meeting up with the blob to the south. There is snow aloft as far west as I-81 and Harrisonburg, Va. Snow may be reaching the ground there as well. It is 25 degrees with a 15 degree dewpoint. Snow continues. Roads are white. Snow is blowing along on the road as cars pass by. Snow is falling aloft over Baltimore and over Dover, Del as of 439am.

The area in northern VA where this band is setting up reminds me of this post http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45349-jan-12-14-minor-ice-and-snow-discoobs/?p=3255083 that Doorman made that showed the divergence and other parameters - the diagrams he posted showed exactly where this band set up.

EDIT - The band is meeting up with the blob to the south. There is snow aloft as far west as I-81 and Harrisonburg, Va. Snow may be reaching the ground there as well. It is 25 degrees with a 15 degree dewpoint. Snow continues. Roads are white. Snow is blowing along on the road as cars pass by. Snow is falling aloft over Baltimore and over Dover, Del as of 439am.

Nice to see you getting a little...I can confirm nothing in Baltimore yet at this point...Frankly I dont see anything substantial getting up here except flurries...The HRRR And RAP are pretty bleak up here and Im not seeing a ton of movement with that band southwest of DC

Looks like a quarter inch or so on all surfaces. Lawn is beginning to show reflectivity. I need someone living in Woodbridge/Dale City to corroborate the snow depth locally. Snowing near moderately; temperature is 26 with a dewpoint of 21 degrees.

An area of heavier snow is showing up aligned from Culpeper to Manassas to my west. They should be getting crushed by rates. That area of enhanced rates has been pretty persistent for the past hour.

Drive in from Columbia to DC between 4:45 and 5:30am -- Snow was just beginning as I left Columbia. Drive down I-95 south was fine with occasional light snow, but when I got to end of B-W Pkwy onto I-295/Kennelworth Ave. there was a definite shininess to the wet roads but they were not icy yet; or unmanageable or hazardous.

Some side streets in DC were getting snow-covered, along with bare spots. I can envision conditions becoming poorer in the hours ahead.

Archived