joxey
Jan 12-14 Minor Ice and Snow Disco/Obs

Bob Chill

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM is an advisory level event.

EDIT:  It's actually NAMesque  

more importantly it actually gets precip up above 40N and west to Garrett co....it's probably like 0.15" for DC, but the coverage is huge...not sure I buy it...euro will probably do its normal fringe job where we get 0.01" and we'll have no idea where we stand

more importantly it actually gets precip up above 40N and west to Garrett co....it's probably like 0.15" for DC, but the coverage is huge...not sure I buy it...euro will probably do its normal fringe job where we get 0.01" and we'll have no idea where we stand

Nam/rgem/gem all say we get snow or frozen. Gfs twins shifted in our favor but still whiffed. NC loves the para/gfs shift though. Still 24-36 hours to continue trends. Euro on deck but we know any change will be subtle. If its in our favor then the plot thickens

great point.  The NAM precip type meteograms show that we could mix with sleet or freezing rain at times (if this event happens).  The temps on the bottom show the 850 level going above 0 during Wed. morning, so several of the members which comprise the dominant precip type go to sleet or freezing rain.  This is consistent with the % of frozen pcp (green line on 3rd set of traces) dropping low during that time.

724050.type.gif

It's an interesting NAM if it were right.   The soundings for DCA are interesting as the cloud top doesn't extend that far up so it's hard to know what type of frozen precipitation you'd get if the NAM were right.  The cloud top may not  be colder than -8 or -10C.  Might be freezing rain or snow at DCA and just to the south might be freezing rain or sleet as there is a warm layer at NHK and even DCA is right near freezing with its warm layer.   The surface temps are really cold.

In no way do I trust the GGEM.  It overdoes events (if there is one) > 24 hours out.  Euro will will have .90 over Ocean City and we'll have high cirrus.  Euro is a stingy mofo

drier than GGEM/RGEM/NAM, but way better than 12z run....same idea as those 3 models....at 12z it barely scraped DC...0z it throws precip up past Hagerstown...still only 0.05" for DCA....but major trend NW with the precip shield....

.1 in st Mary's and .25 east tip of the northern neck. Considering 12z had .05 for the northern neck we can call this run a victory.

.1 in st Mary's and .25 east tip of the northern neck. Considering 12z had .05 for the northern neck we can call this run a victory.

huge victory....when a model gives measurable precip to places 75 miles to my NW it makes me hopeful...Euro/NAM/Canadians say that after Wednesday I have more seasonal snow than I do now...and that is good enough for me at this range...

huge victory....when a model gives measurable precip to places 75 miles to my NW it makes me hopeful...Euro/NAM/Canadians say that after Wednesday I have more seasonal snow than I do now...and that is good enough for me at this range...

Yea, it's always a nice feeling seeing shifts like this as we approach very short leads. Considering short range guidance, it's not unreasonable to say the euro is probably too dry. The precip shield change from 12z is more telling than verbatim qpf output.

Eta: and another shot at accum snow with cold surface temps is another bonus

Yea, it's always a nice feeling seeing shifts like this as we approach very short leads. Considering short range guidance, it's not unreasonable to say the euro is probably too dry. The precip shield change from 12z is more telling than verbatim qpf output.

Eta: and another shot at accum snow with cold surface temps is another bonus

yeah...not even borderline...Euro is like 26-28 the whole event for immediate DC metro...immediate stickage...

Archived