Newest Member
    Toothache
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 40f still here in Brooklyn CT.

Kevin is looking pretty good with his call of places in northern ct not getting into high50s and low 60s.

Well I'd take that bet of hitting 60 ... A hundred times in a row and win all 100. It takes a torched atmosphere from the top down, no snowcover and full sun with a west wind to do that in Jan. I said days ago.. Be very wary of any torch that starts with significant qpf. It's true even in the summer. That said it will get into the 40's which is still terrible

I didn't have to do it luckily, but I warned my co-worker of it. Many of us have seen this story all too often. 

In your operational ...do they give you caveat sentence blocks ..er sumpin'?    Like, can you say, cloudy with snow/sleet transitioning to freezing rain, ending as drizzle, temps slowly rising overnight to a high tomorrow afternoon of 55F -- caveat, a weak wave of low pressure may develop in Boston Harbor, causing the warm to be delayed. If so highs holding around 40

??

While I've had little variance since 5:30, I just hit my lowest temp since then--not exactly the way it was forecasted.  Kudo's to those who said the cold would hang tough.  I had expected lower than the forecast based on your thoughts, but I did not expect to be holding below freezing until at least 2:00p.m.

30.4/30

Well I'd take that bet of hitting 60 ... A hundred times in a row and win all 100. It takes a torched atmosphere from the top down, no snowcover and full sun with a west wind to do that in Jan. I said days ago.. Be very wary of any torch that starts with significant qpf. It's true even in the summer. That said it will get into the 40's which is still terrible

I can be the first to go against you sometimes with your ideas. So let me give you credit for that call Kevin!! Good Call on the temps!!

:-)

While I've had little variance since 5:30, I just hit my lowest temp since then--not exactly the way it was forecasted.  Kudo's to those who said the cold would hang tough.  I had expected lower than the forecast based on your thoughts, but I did not expect to be holding below freezing until at least 2:00p.m.

30.4/30

yeah, but in your credit... we were making fun of you yesterday when you were saying no way.  I know I did, when I said how it was all of the cosmos against Kevin; it'll be interesting to see who wins. 

Even though you COMPLETELY knew a meso-wave would develop over Coastal Ma and near-by waters, thus enhancing cold drain ... retarding the boundary due to (and this was particularly his genius ...) hydrostactic inhibition...  

Terrific meteorological insight there.  

Bow folks.  Bow ...

:facepalm:

Heh, not dumb necessarily... 

But being N of the warm front, a west drift to the wind is very ageostrophic, indicative that even though it's above freezing... we're still draining some. 

Winds turned NE for me at 1PM today after a few hours of westerly flow. The cold is holding here

Some called this, few (maybe only Kev) forecast it, but the majority called for rising temps and any snow to essentially wash away. And although I really didn't pay much attention to the tv met's, I know my neighbors did as I was the only one on my street of about 20 homes to have shoveled the driveway this morning. Even now, the majority of the drives are still covered although it appears a handful have given up hope are out there now. :D

fog rolling in and 34.3

In your operational ...do they give you caveat sentence blocks ..er sumpin'?    Like, can you say, cloudy with snow/sleet transitioning to freezing rain, ending as drizzle, temps slowly rising overnight to a high tomorrow afternoon of 55F -- caveat, a weak wave of low pressure may develop in Boston Harbor, causing the warm to be delayed. If so highs holding around 40

??

Yeah we have a TAF disco to convey thoughts. But, whether it's 39 or 59..IFR is IFR, so that is what matters.

those silly MAV upper 50s and 60s during the day fooled a ton of forecasters

Yeah. Those were maxes through 00Z though. NE MA/NH/ME looked relatively cool on a lot of guidance the last couple of days for the daylight hours. I didn't buy temps that high even though I posted them. I think I posted something to Kevin like maybe it'll be low 50s at ORH instead of upper 50s. That may have trouble too though...maybe only mid 40s?

Archived