Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor analysis of microphysics led to high expectations for this clipper. Snow ratios of 20:1 and 25:1 were mentioned by multiple NWS offices. A deep DGZ isn't really sufficient for anything when forcing is displaced from it and moisture profiles are not 105-110% RH within it. Not trying to be overly critical or anything, but IMO the clipper panned out more or less as it should have. It seems to have underachieved a bit, but not by much.

I am not surprised by the trends at all. I am thinking an 1" will be about it here. Hopefully we can get it to look like winter and not just feeling like it.

A whopping 0.5" to 1.0" across SEMi overnight.

End up with a bit less than an inch but at least it looks like winter with nearly 3" snow/ice on the ground now and crystal trees sparkling in the occasional sunlight.

You were right about the LES from the other night being more than this storm for us :gun:

Snow has basically ended here, suns coming out with some decent flurry action still coming down.  Had a nice little thump the last few hours, generously estimating 6.5, but definitely over 6.  Not looking forward to the wind tonight and tomorrow.  Looks like the sweet spot for central Indiana was roughly a thin line from LAF to MIE south to just north of IND.  Seems to be where the highest totals are coming in.  I ended up on the higher end of my P&C of 3-7 so I'm happy this round.  Took the day off of work, I'm going to enjoy it while it's here  :snowing:

Wasn't worried about you guys even when it looked bleak for us. The radar shaped up very nicely for your area.

I thought the small flakes size for the first half of the event was going to doom us, sort of speak...but things turned around.

About 5" at Port Columbus, up to 6" just south of the city around Circleville.

Very nice. 

Snow has basically ended here, suns coming out with some decent flurry action still coming down.  Had a nice little thump the last few hours, generously estimating 6.5, but definitely over 6.  Not looking forward to the wind tonight and tomorrow.  Looks like the sweet spot for central Indiana was roughly a thin line from LAF to MIE south to just north of IND.  Seems to be where the highest totals are coming in.  I ended up on the higher end of my P&C of 3-7 so I'm happy this round.  Took the day off of work, I'm going to enjoy it while it's here   :snowing:

Right on. :)

Saw there was a twitter report of 7.5" here in town. Seems a little questionable given the more reliable reports, but confirms we got a solid 6"er.

That's a slant stick it seems. But yeah, that's #5 since last winter for us (and 6 of them since March 2013). What a run.

Sucks about the lower ratios on the northern end but there were some warning signs...seemed to be overlooked/underplayed in general.  We seemed to be in a good zone here with multiple reports indicating ratios in the 17-20:1 range or a tad higher, about what was expected.

Consensus of models worked out good for precip here.  Euro was too dry.

Sucks about the lower ratios on the northern end but there were some warning signs...seemed to be overlooked/underplayed in general.  We seemed to be in a good zone here with multiple reports indicating ratios in the 17-20:1 range or a tad higher, about what was expected.

Consensus of models worked out good for precip here.  Euro was too dry.

Euro just doesn't do good with NW flow impulses. Likes to shear/dry things out too quickly. Lesson finally learned.

I picked up 8 inches of lake enhanced snow in 6 hours from 11 p.m to 5 a.m. overnight, with a couple more inches since. Supposed to possible pick up another 8 inches tonight and then maybe the same Thursday night. Wonderful week right here along the lakeshore.

Only about 4" here.  Too far inland for last night's snow.  Looks like the immediate lake shore to the south will do well tonight.

That's a slant stick it seems. But yeah, that's #5 since last winter for us (and 6 of them since March 2013). What a run.

...or as I like to refer to it, 'measuring from the taint'.    But seriously, congrats to you guys, as we rounded the bend inside 48hrs, it pretty much looked great for you guys, even if things had shifted either way.  

You know how this works though....5 six inchers in the last year and a half means prepare yourself for a cyclonesque run in the future.  Ma nature, the great equalizer.

Archived