Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the WV satellite view, the quasi clipper looks to be getting stretched in the upper levels as it rounds the bottom of the long wave trough.  850 winds are more WSW now.  To my inexperienced eye the system seems to be beginning to shear out, with drier than forecast air moving in underneath.  I'm probably wrong, but mby was forecast to be ripping quite a bit more by now than it is.  I'll have to hit 1/in per hour rates until 12Z to hit warning levels.

Can tell the system is winding down.  These heavier returns on radar aren't yielding as impressive snowfall as earlier.  Sort of getting that snow globe non-accumulating type snows now on the back end.  The finer flakes in between the larger ones are mainly gone, and visibility is actually pretty good.

Can tell the system is winding down.  These heavier returns on radar aren't yielding as impressive snowfall as earlier.  Sort of getting that snow globe non-accumulating type snows now on the back end.  The finer flakes in between the larger ones are mainly gone, and visibility is actually pretty good.

Nevermind, now it's snowing much harder again with much lower visibility.  Must have been in some sort of precip void for a bit.

Nevermind, now it's snowing much harder again with much lower visibility.  Must have been in some sort of precip void for a bit.

Lol, I just went from super fine dust to I can't see the stop sign 200 feet from my front door.  Being only my second full winter, these things can be more frustrating than weak tropical storms.  At least it will look like winter outside when I'm freezing my butt off tomorrow night  :ee:

Best snow of the event for me right now...decent dendrites and all. Looks pretty. Shame we couldn't have done this a couple of hours ago, but better to have received than not at all. :)

That's the thing with these relatively quick hitters...less room to make up ground if you get off to a slow start.  That being said, we're probably closing in on 3" at this point (haven't gone out to check) so I think we can still surpass 4".  Would like to see that band around Pontiac take more of a southward turn.

Archived