Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow or rain debate is largely dependent upon the evolution of the system and it's track...vast differences between the timing and the energy involved with the system just from 00z to 12z Euro runs. I'll go ahead and be the first to say it, it may be Monday or so before the models get a handle on the system and really get some data digested on that energy out west. Am I the first one to say that this year? haha. But seriously, this is one we'll have to keep watching and unfortunately, wait for the correct solution on the modeling. Good news is anything is possible at this point, but cold will be marginal and we'll need a lot of luck here.

I believe the Euro has the right idea with bringing the wave on out intact into the southern Plains.  It has a nice ridge spike along the west coast behind our storm wave.  The GFS squashes the wave in the southwest and sends a piece toward southern California - that squashing looks like typical GFS southern stream handling.  From there though, we still have challenges...the flow is confluent along the east coast so we have limitations on how much the wave can amplify and generate precip...and the amount of cold air is obviously in question.

I believe the Euro has the right idea with bringing the wave on out intact into the southern Plains.  It has a nice ridge spike along the west coast behind our storm wave.  The GFS squashes the wave in the southwest and sends a piece toward southern California - that squashing looks like typical GFS southern stream handling.  From there though, we still have challenges...the flow is confluent along the east coast so we have limitations on how much the wave can amplify and generate precip...and the amount of cold air is obviously in question.

The fresh snow that gets laid down in front of this system will be crucial to our chances for wintry wx here in central NC...

gfs_asnow_us_15.png

Getting the southern edge of the snowpack down to ~I-70 corridor is near the climatological mean for all RAH past events since 2000...

US-Snow-cover-edge-NC-Snows-1-day-lag-10

Equatorial forcing will remain & continue to become more favorable in advance of this potential event next week. MJO Phase 7 in January has a hot hand to produce winter storms here in NC, & we'll likely see the MJO evolve into a more diffuse, moist CCKW mode within the next few days as it continues to press through the central Pacific (as result of the upper level convergence zone in this vicinity & its also in line w/ climatology where the mean convective signal dissipates near the international dateline, while the upper level footprint remains relatively intact & propagates through the western hemisphere, decoupled from convection)

last.90d.noENSO.RMMPhase.png

NC-winter-storms-1979-present-and-MJO1.p

I don't have a lot of hope on this Jan 15 storm.  Next week or two looks rather ho hum. I see the last week or 10 days of January being the time when things really kick up and finally get some real blocking setting up.

Been trying to keep up lately.  Are we really seeing decent signs of a -ao/-nao setting up post mlk day?

Euro ensembles have a decent cluster of frozen solutions for the nc piedmont for the second storm next week. 

Thanks Bob!  Yeah, lot of members showing wintery (ice/snow) hits.  But, the Euro hasn't had 2 runs in a row that have been consistent yet.

The EPS is sure trying to bring the cold back in a hurry.  Just after day 10 you see it trying to build a trough in the east and with his propensity for leaving cold in the west it actually get's stuck in central US.  The ridging in the west with -EPO is showing up really strong and it's building it across the pole.  Also, no SE ridge on there either.    

The +NAO is never going away, the Greenland low is a staple of this winter, ugghh.

Archived