• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

For as "inaccurate" as they've been. They have been spot on about one thing. There has not been a consistent cold snowy look in the LR and we still have no real winter storm. I would say for that it's been pretty durn accurate. 

No doubt that is true, but that could be said of virtually every winter in the South because that is just the way it is down here. If you forecast  mild and/or rainy winters here you will be right 80% of the winters. It is sort of like forecasting summers here, doesn't take hardly any skill or education in Meteorology, 99% of the time we will have hot summers.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as "inaccurate" as they've been. They have been spot on about one thing. There has not been a consistent cold snowy look in the LR and we still have no real winter storm. I would say for that it's been pretty durn accurate.

Yeah...I'll start to feel good about a wintry pattern, when I see the models (across all suites) consistently show blocking that doesn't hold at D10 or beyond, along with some ridging out west. Another sort of persistent thing that I've mentioned before is that we've seen these southern stream systems over-perform...so that's given me a bit more optimism for the event next week.

You know, the hell of the thing is it isnt like we've been warm or dry. 

If you simply take what MOS gives us for the next week, our average monthly temperature at KCLT will be at 36.4º. Now, granted, that only puts us halfway through January. However, if that temperature held up, you'd have a month colder than the following: 

As for the trusting the models conversation, you can see what lead to the model distrust around and after Christmas specifically, at 500mb the Euro at day 8 was the worst performing model with a score below 0.2....overall it's the best but that's not my point.

9ojDXfs.png

with that said MOST models were bad, it appears recently the models have gotten their act together, though, at least for Day 5.

Last 7 days verification scores for 500mb NH 5 day forecasts (I know that's a mouthful):

GFS: 0.918

Euro: 0.920

To me the models, at this point in time, can be trusted at Day 5 (120hrs), whether or not they can be trusted at day 8 remains to be seen...the image suggests scores are improving, but the Euro goes from  0.85 to 0.45 in the first week of Jan. Still can't put much faith in the LR modeling IMO (after day 5, ie. Day 8-10 192-240hrs)

And the CFS is by far the worst model for everything. If that's news to anyone. Canadian is also a joke.

agreed...IMHO thats one of the BEST posts I have seen...Seriously..We HAVE NOT had a good true storm to track.. Very accurate on that.  PLUS they have been accurate on weakening and dappening things out as we get closer in time.  I see NO reason why this should be different..I actually DONT favor a wound up storm.  This will be crappy sheared out mess, if anything.  IF** it does wind its OTS  *JMHO as of now*

12Z GEFS: nice west coast ridging returns ~1/22 fwiw

We used to have good looks in the 10 day range, now they are in the 13 day range.  Seems to me we are going the wrong direction and running out of 10+ days windows to look through.

All kidding aside, there are many that are favoring a brief mild spell, followed by west coast ridging, a -EPO, and hopefully a less hurtful AO and NAO.  We will see.

Archived