Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

Let me go ahead and finish this:

High comes in stronger.  Batch of precip moves through before the high builds in.  It moves into a great position at 120.  Precip moves out.  Dry.  High moves out.  Precip moves in.  Rain.  Zonal flow.

LOL, real shocker...going to be nice to get back into a Dec like pattern again, not having to waste so much time on here and looking at models.  Hopefully that will just carry on and put the dagger in this dreadful winter.   :baby:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or it may be that many seasonal forecasters underestimated the effects of the continued strong -qbo which does not promote a lot of blocking.  

I don't know squat about the QBO except that I was always told the -QBO promotes blocking, but it seems it can't be to negative, I guess.

I don't know squat about the QBO except that I was always told the -QBO promotes blocking, but it seems it can't be to negative, I guess.

From what I've heard from others on this board (DT in particular) we want more of a moderate negative qbo that then rises towards neutral. Decembers numbers came in at record negative values. Even if we saw a substantial move towards lower neg values I'm not sure of the lag time it takes to promote blocking. Anyway DT explains the qbo quite well this blog. If you want to skip to the qbo part scroll down to the "Why is the Pacific Jet Howling" headline.

http://www.wxrisk.com/the-return-of-the-firehose/

Where do the boundaries set up (frozen vs. not)?

That level of detail is not important this far out imo and is also not easy to discern. Also, keep in mind the warm Euro bias. So, IF it really were to set up similarly, the ZR area would extend further south of where the Euro shows 32 F.

Anyway, all of this fwiw since the Euro is not consistent obviously. The next Euro could easily revert back to warmer. We'll see.

Looks like the Euro is back to close to the scenario it offered up earlier in the week for this weekend. I'm going to need to see the surface at least a degree or two colder to believe in any sort of significant ZR scenario. 

That's a pretty solid ice setup on the Euro if it plays out like that.  It has sfc temps mostly in the low 30's on Tues and Wed east of the mtns.  

That level of detail is not important this far out imo and is also not easy to discern. Also, keep in mind the warm Euro bias. So, IF it really were to set up similarly, the ZR area would extend further south of where the Euro shows 32 F.

Anyway, all of this fwiw since the Euro is not consistent obviously. The next Euro could easily revert back to warmer. We'll see.

Yeah, agree, if you get that setup, it makes sense that it could be a little colder

From WPC Discussion…

THE EVOLUTION OF THE SRN STREAM ALOFT INLAND OVER THE NATION FROM

THE WEST COAST...SEEMS TO BE WHERE THE GREATER SPREAD OCCURS IN

GUIDANCE. WHAT REMAINS OF THE UPPER-LEVEL CIRCULATION MOVES INTO

TX SUN/MON AND OFFERS A P-TYPE FORECAST CHALLENGE FOR THE SOUTHERN

PLAINS/OZARKS ALONG ITS NORTHERN AND NORTHEAST PCPN PERIPHERY.

THIS LEADS TO THE DOWNSTREAM TIMING DIFFERENCES LATER WITH SURFACE

WAVE DEVELOPMENT AND MIGRATION OVER THE GULF STREAM IN THE FAR

WESTERN ATLANTIC. MEANWHILE OVER TIME...THE SPREAD ALOFT INCREASES

OVER CENTRAL CANADA WITH THE NRN STREAM DETAILS MIGRATING ACROSS

THE UPPER GREAT LAKES THAT EFFECT ANY STREAM INTERACTIONS. IN MOST

OF THESE SCENARIOS THOUGH...THE SURFACE RIDGE DAMMED SOUTHWARD

FROM THE NERN US REMAINS A SEMI-PERMANENT FEATURE OF THIS MEDIUM

RANGE FORECAST AND FLOW PATTERN AND AN UNCERTAIN WAVE/PCPN PATTERN

RUNNING UNDERNEATH.

TODAYS WPC MEDIUM RANGE SURFACE FRONTS/PRESSURES AND 500 MB PROGS

ALONG WITH HPCGUIDE GRIDS HAVE BEEN PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM A BLEND

OF THE 00 UTC GFS/NAEFS/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS. HEAVIEST RAINFALL

POTENTIAL STILL SEEMS ACROSS THE GULF COAST

STATES/SERN US. THE NORTHWARD EXTENT OF THE OVERALL PCPN SHIELD

REMAINS A TOUGH CALL. THE STRENGTH OF THE SURFACE HIGH MAY FAVOR

RECENT GFS/GEFS RUNS THAT HAVE BEEN MORE SOUTHWARD SUPPRESSED WITH

QPF THAN RECENT ECMWF/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS THAT MAY BE FAVORED BY

UPSTREAM FLOW AMPLITUDE. WPC PRODUCTS TODAY LEAN 60-40 TOWARD THE

LATTER GIVEN TRENDS AND CONTINUITY.

Looks like the Euro is back to close to the scenario it offered up earlier in the week for this weekend. I'm going to need to see the surface at least a degree or two colder to believe in any sort of significant ZR scenario. 

The ECMWF just busted badly on low temps for last night.  Why would we expect it to get the temperature right several days from now?

Regardless of precip types...the Euro seems very adamant of producing another multiple-day (3 or more) run of clouds, cold and precip across interior parts of North Carolina. I'll be honest, that crap is getting old especially with it not delivering some kind of frozen precip type.

Archived