Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, those Highs look like they're in good position yet the temps are warm even in the CAD areas. I'm getting depressed looking at the ultimate results at the surface on the models though. My gut tells me that at least the Western CAD areas will not completely escape with 0 winter weather if they Highs and moisture is close to what's modeled. Maybe its just us weenies grasping here as the Mets don't seem to be talking it up much

I'm just not sure why everyone is so glum with this threat.  Maybe I just don't know what to look for with CAD.  But with the placement and strength of that high, there HAS to be damming, right?  I don't care what the models have for temps at this range.  I would think at least SOME damming has to be occurring with that setup.  Maybe in the end, the temps/wetbulbs won't be cold enough, but at this range, it looks good to me.

I agree with your thoughts. It seems in many, many potential CAD situations, the big problem is the strength of the HP, the placement of the HP, or the fact that the HP moves out too quickly. That really has not been an issue here. HP has been consistently modeled to be strong and well placed. The issue has been getting the precipitation. If the precip comes, it would seem very hard for us not to see some ZR. Especially y'all up in NC CAD areas.

12z GFS has a 1044 high pressure, stronger than previous runs, heading over the lakes by day 5.  The first batch of precip moved through as rain before the high pressure got in a favorable spot.  Probably will be dry after this though, where the Euro had more precip moving through at this time.

12z GFS has a 1044 high pressure, stronger than previous runs, heading over the lakes by day 5.  The first batch of precip moved through as rain before the high pressure got in a favorable spot.  Probably will be dry after this though, where the Euro had more precip moving through at this time.

That energy coming on it's heels out west looks good. Descent high coming over the lakes...will probably slide out too early. 

Man if that energy out west wouldn't get in the meat grinder and turn into an elongated mess we would probably be in business. 

Which storm are we tracking here just so I'm on the right page, are we talking about the mid month storm or something before that?

2m temps and 850's dip beyond that frame. There isn't a good cold air source but with enough cold air lingering around before that I think there is potential. We need a better look at 5h though. 

Yeah it's depiction is close for the I-40 corridor for sure.  It seems like the Highs have no trouble moving out and the lows crawl along at a snail's pace to get to our area and become strung-out bits and pieces of moisture.

12z GFS very close to a big hit @160ish. 

There is 30+ hours of strong damming, according to the GFS.  The window is open.  It will probably be less than that, when the time comes though.  It's probably keeping the northern stream too far south and keeping the high too far south.

Yeah it's depiction is close for the I-40 corridor for sure.  It seems like the Highs have no trouble moving out and the lows crawl along at a snail's pace to get to our area and become strung-out bits and pieces of moisture.

The reason is a fast northern stream flow (see the blue Xs in the image below).  The flow is fast and progressive in the northern stream.  Waves move through, leaving confluence in their wake.  High pressure is migratory as the confluence zone pulls east and northeast.  In contrast, the southern stream slower and the energy is less organized and abundant (see the green X).  There are impulses to generate precip, but they are either not well modeled right now or not being shown as strong enough to do much.

Either way, all it takes is for the model to be incorrect about the speed of energy in either stream to allow for a period of juxtaposition of moisture and cold.  I think it works out where at least some of the area sees some frozen.

By the way, according to this run of the GFS, the damming window is roughly hr 114 - 168.  That's a pretty good window.

post-987-0-42609300-1420734938_thumb.gif

The reason is a fast northern stream flow (see the blue Xs in the image below).  The flow is fast and progressive in the northern stream.  Waves move through, leaving confluence in their wake.  High pressure is migratory as the confluence zone pulls east and northeast.  In contrast, the southern stream slower and the energy is less organized and abundant (see the green X).  There are impulses to generate precip, but they are either not well modeled right now or not being shown as strong enough to do much.

Either way, all it takes is for the model to be incorrect about the speed of energy in either stream to allow for a period of juxtaposition of moisture and cold.  I think it works out where at least some of the area sees some frozen.

By the way, according to this run of the GFS, the damming window is roughly hr 114 - 168.  That's a pretty good window.

Excellent post CR.  Thanks!

Is there actual blocking showing up on the 12z....in between meetings so can't look at NH maps, just looks that way on the surface at hour 384. 

strong -NAO yeah...blocking over the top starting at 324...I don't have the teleconnection graphs but this is a deep -NAO

Archived