Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to digest a 384 hour map but with that look there's not going to be a SE ridge, not that I buy an extreme blocky look like that this far out anyway.

Well, if we get that idiot trough out west, we'll get a ridge-type response in the SE.  The surface could still be cold, though.  But yeah, I'm with you...that look will likely not verify and it's pointless to dissect.

Well, if we get that idiot trough out west, we'll get a ridge-type response in the SE.  The surface could still be cold, though.  But yeah, I'm with you...that look will likely not verify and it's pointless to dissect.

Yeah, that's what the map shows but if we get that kind of block it would be a deep & cold CONUS as a whole, depending on that -EPO or of a +PNA sets up...no ridge. But again you'd have to look past direct model output. But it's 320+ so who cares :)

I don't want to spend too much time dwelling on 384 other than to see if the -NAO trend continues to show up. If it does and if it verifies, I don't see how a SE ridge of any magnitude could exist. Two other things to remember if the NAO block becomes a trend in the LR.

1.) SE ridges on the models have a had a history of not verifying this year.

2.) We don't live at 500 MB. Our 2M temps would certainly not reflect those heights IMHO.

I don't want to spend too much time dwelling on 384 other than to see if the -NAO trend continues to show up. If it does and if it verifies, I don't see how a SE ridge of any magnitude could exist. Two other things to remember if the NAO block becomes a trend in the LR.

2.) We don't live at 500 MB. Our 2M temps would certainly not reflect those heights IMHO.

Not only this year but last year as well.

That is a good post right there.

Any word on the Canadians?  How did they look for the event next week?

That is a good post right there.

Any word on the Canadians?  How did they look for the event next week?

Cohen says rest of Jan cancelled that all of our weenie dreams will be answered in Feb, LOL   :bag:

What a failure the SAI has been, obviously the SAI may play a part in our winter conditions for blocking but it's a very small part, very small.

Edit:  At some point he just needs to throw in the towel and say he is going back to the drawing board.

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

• The downward propagation of negative AO conditions in the stratosphere will be slow to influence the tropospheric circulation, particularly if vortex recovery is slow as forecasted to be. Therefore, we anticipate near-neutral AO conditions to persist for much of the second half of January. This will promote a progressive flow pattern and periods of warmth and seasonable coolness hemispherically for the remainder of the month.
  •  

• Prospects for a negative AO remain fairly high into early February given the recent minor SSW, though some uncertainty on timing and the eventual strength of the negative state still remains

And a third point............

3.  Other items that have had a recent history of not verifying - a -NAO 

At some point, something has to give, right?

Cohen says rest of Jan cancelled that all of our weenie dreams will be answered in Feb, LOL   :bag:

What a failure the SAI has been, obviously the SAI may play a part in our winter conditions for blocking but it's a very small part, very small.

Edit:  At some point he just needs to throw in the towel and say he is going back to the drawing board.

• The downward propagation of negative AO conditions in the stratosphere will be slow to influence the tropospheric circulation, particularly if vortex recovery is slow as forecasted to be. Therefore, we anticipate near-neutral AO conditions to persist for much of the second half of January. This will promote a progressive flow pattern and periods of warmth and seasonable coolness hemispherically for the remainder of the month.
  •  

• Prospects for a negative AO remain fairly high into early February given the recent minor SSW, though some uncertainty on timing and the eventual strength of the negative state still remains

Unfortunately, this has already become painfully obvious.  It's more of a hindcast at this point.

Too warm. 850s are on fire and the surface looks like 30s. Great weather. At least Jshetley will be happy as it's very wet. Brick won't be happy, though.

Thanks man. :(

Meanwhile, watch the 12Z Euro. The high coming in is stronger at hour 108.

Let me go ahead and finish this:

High comes in stronger.  Batch of precip moves through before the high builds in.  It moves into a great position at 120.  Precip moves out.  Dry.  High moves out.  Precip moves in.  Rain.  Zonal flow.

•  

Or it may be that many seasonal forecasters underestimated the effects of the continued strong -qbo which does not promote a lot of blocking.  

Archived