joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecasters just basically go with/ lean torwards climo, in the 5-10 day forecasts , even if models are showing crazy cold, and then trend temps down when it gets to 2-3 days out, happens every time!

Yep, you are right....Thanks.. Right now we are 20/40 for next Thursday, probably take 10 degrees lower than that at least.

Maybe, maybe not. 40/20 might end up being pretty accurate.  That would still be well below normal.

As I mentioned yesterday, the coldest mean temp. for any day at KATL in JAN since 1975 while within phase 5 outside the COD is 25. So, something like a high near, say, 35 and low near 15 would, itself, be quite noteworthy, especially if the MJO is then still in phase 5.

It's not terribly unusual, but it would be a stark contrast to how this winter has been so far (since December 1).

I lived in Paulding County for 8 years up until 2011, and it seemed like we had at least 20 days a winter that were 40F or lower.  The strong northwest flow behind fronts always kept us cloudy in the 30s and 40s when it could be 50 or higher from Athens to Charlotte.

Problem would be we are quickly loosing the confluence and the high.

Sounds like the same tale of the last few winters.  Even last winter was the same way.  The high moved offshore with the February 12th-13th storm and we lost our cold air feed, which turned us over to sleet (though we did go back over to snow with the ULL on the following morning/afternoon).  That storm was interesting as the intense CAD had kept temperatures at 21 for the entire storm here, but temperatures warmed up into the mid-30s the following afternoon when the ULL came through.  In addition, the early March ice storm here turned over to rain at the end here as the high moved offshore.

Sounds like the same tale of the last few winters. Even last winter was the same way. The high moved offshore with the February 12th-13th storm and we lost our cold air feed, which turned us over to sleet (though we did go back over to snow with the ULL on the following morning/afternoon). That storm was interesting as the intense CAD had kept temperatures at 21 for the entire storm here, but temperatures warmed up into the mid-30s the following afternoon when the ULL came through. In addition, the early March ice storm here turned over to rain at the end here as the high moved offshore.

+NAO ftw!

I've finally completed my weeklong MJO phase by phase analysis. The following two attachments summarize my surprising findings....yes, coldest within certain phases within the COD! For an explanation and much more details, go here if interested:

.    http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45286-optimal-mjo-path-for-cold-it-isnt-what-many-think/#entry3226246

post-882-0-55426300-1420243919_thumb.png

post-882-0-95358800-1420244106_thumb.gif

Thanks, Chris and Tnwxnut. I was surprised, myself. Technically, however, phases 7 and 8 are actually quite cold on average...but only when they are under 1.0 amplitude (in COD)! That's the catch/surprise.

I wonder if it makes any difference where it enters the COD? Your data shows that phase 8 COD is the best. But what I'm wondering is if it had previously entered that area from phase 8 or if it had entered that area from a warmer phase? It may not matter. I was just curious if you saw anything there.

I wonder if it makes any difference where it enters the COD? Your data shows that phase 8 COD is the best. But what I'm wondering is if it had previously entered that area from phase 8 or if it had entered that area from a warmer phase? It may not matter. I was just curious if you saw anything there.

1) CR,

Fantastic Q! I'll check that out ASAP and will report back to you.

2) Folks,

Regarding the 7 listed cold COD periods in the linked thread, note that a solid -NAO existed only in/near the 1977 and 1996 noted periods. Also, the -AO wasn't persistently solidly negative in/near the 1988, 2000, and 2003 noted periods. In other words, the Pacific, alone, with the help of the favorable parts of the COD MJO is fully capable of allowing for a lengthy solid cold period even without good -AO/-NAO type blocking.

I like what the Euro is depicting for NC right after the cold spell. If that confluence in the NE can hang around a little longer we could be in business. Weak impulses coming out of the SW with enough cold air in place can get this party started.

I sure hope so. I am going to be po'd if all we get out if this extreme cold are outrageous heating bills.

Archived