• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

Last year's Arctic attack featured super cold 925mb temps...

Speaking of arctic attack...at some point a specific thread should be made for what's coming up. I would like to have the honors but would like to wait until after the 12z runs Friday afternoon...any objections to that?

Haha you can't call dibs on a future thread! :P

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what everyone said last year at this time when I cranked it up about 5-6 days before the event, no one thought it would be a big deal until it got below zero... :shiver:

Hey, we need this badly! Atleast it's something to track besides normal and rain! If its close to as cold as last January, that would be amazing, and it's what kick started a decent month or so of winter!

Wow the low for RDU is 14...high? 20... And the Euro EPS and OP had a SE RIDGE during this time period....now the 00z run comes in like it has in the LR, meanwhile the Euro LR looks terrible. I don't know who I trust but I do lean in the GFS's direction for Day 10+, surprisingly. If it didn't see this first cold snap, will it see the next? Would love to see the verification scores Euro vs GFS from Dec 18th to present.

The European suite is just struggling w/ all of the energy that keeps spitting out of the southwestern US (hence the erroneous forecasts to over-amplify the SE US ridge, which flies in the face of the strong +PDO) and the Rex Block over the North Pacific is only going to add insult to injury

Thats a very good point Eric!  I didn't think of that until you said something.  The euro might struggle all winter long with that much energy rolling through there.

Hey, we need this badly! Atleast it's something to track besides normal and rain! If its close to as cold as last January, that would be amazing, and it's what kick started a decent month or so of winter!

haha!, thanks guys...like I said, I will get it up and cranking tomorrow after the 12z GFS and once I can get some thoughts together to go along with it...

I have a feeling this thread will remain active because that Jan 10-11th timeframe could create its own discussion soon enough.

BTW, the DOC has been cleared for takeoff...I think he is pissed again, and is about to lay the hammer of the arctic down on the US, lets see how it plays out.  HR114 1056mb high about to hit the US

Chris,

The Doctor looks like it is gong to come in even colder than the 12Z Doctor once that strong cold reaches the SE from what I can tell so far! Get ready for something special in the cold department I think.

Wow!!

Chris,

The Doctor looks like it is gong to come in even colder than the 12Z Doctor once that strong cold reaches the SE from what I can tell so far! 

yeah definitely colder, might be largely due to the position of the cold vs. the low pressure over the lakes this run. This is going to come in hard.

126: 1056mb into the US....12z had 1044-1048 same time period

EURO has opened the Arctic and is pissed off at how bad its busted its ass so far this winter.  The ARCTIC HOUNDS are about to be unleashed.  1052mb high over the southern plains, this run @ 2m is even colder so far though 00z thur next week than the 12z euro run earlier today.  WOW impressed!!!

Running about 5-10 degrees colder through 6z thur next week VS the 12z euro run..lets put it this way....houston tx to jacksonville and north is at or below freezing.  that was a good amount further north on the 12z run.....

by 12z thur   the 10 degree line looks to be from BHM to atl to GSP to east of CLT and RDU is close.  CLT looks to be in the single digits to around Rome. 

17-20 degrees from MGM to MCN to CAE

freeze line is Orlando

Thats a very good point Eric!  I didn't think of that until you said something.  The euro might struggle all winter long with that much energy rolling through there.

Yeah thanks! It was when I started to see the European forecasts for SE US ridge not verifying as forecasted, it solidified a growing suspicion I already had, especially given just how strong this +PDO is... It may sound redundant, but when you have the 5th highest fall PDO on record since 1900 and the strongest +PDO since the 1997-98 super El Nino, that means something, and even though my analogs suggest January may be the one month (if @ all) the SE US ridge tries to make its presence felt before in all likelihood it gets squashed in February... I've noticed, particularly when the PDO is strong like it is now (or on the opposite end of the spectrum as we observed in 2011-12 w/ most of the action focused in the southwestern US), it's exceedingly difficult to overcome, and often overwhelms most other parameters at hand, including intermittent attempts at SE US ridge amplification... We didn't see quite as classic of a +PDO signature in the 500mb in December as in this past November, but the setup we're in does not favor the SE US ridge to be a persistent, anomalous feature whatsoever as was being portrayed in much of the guidance especially the Euro suite earlier this week. In fact we're precisely in the kind of pattern that wants to suppress the SE US ridge into submission...

This SST signature in the extratropical Pacific is about as textbook as it gets for a +PDO, just beautiful...

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Running about 5-10 degrees colder through 6z thur next week VS the 12z euro run..lets put it this way....houston tx to jacksonville and north is at or below freezing.  that was a good amount further north on the 12z run.....

by 12z thur   the 10 degree line looks to be from BHM to atl to GSP to east of CLT and RDU is close.  CLT looks to be in the single digits to around Rome. 

17-20 degrees from MGM to MCN to CAE

freeze line is Orlando

Yeah 10 line goes through Durham County/Chatham (edit: and when I say chatham I mean Orange)...if I'm not mistaken...don't have a "10 line output" but just guessing...that's close.

Aside: every time I say Euro on twitter EUReddit retweets me. Dang bots.

Chris,

The Doctor looks like it is gong to come in even colder than the 12Z Doctor once that strong cold reaches the SE from what I can tell so far! Get ready for something special in the cold department I think.

Wow!!

wow, is right, Larry!!!  I don't know what to say either, I actually think it may get better.  Looks like we might see a super CAD by D10 as well.

What a trend over the past 48hrs or so in model world. And we owe it all to the big Surry county Snowman for starting this thread. I hope we can make a run at 0. Heck if it's gonna be single digit, what's the difference.

Yeah I'm rooting for the cold. We're pretty much SOL on a storm in this time period, so why not try to go as low as we can go? The modeling is going to have a cold bias anyway, so add +5 to those temps at least but still, I want the hammer...

Archived