joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSO gets down to 8 on the Euro.  I think the 12z run had a low in the upper teens.  Looks like the cold matches up well with the GFS.  After eight consecutive winters without any single digit temperatures, we might get two winters in a row with them here.

1000-500 mb thicknesses are nuts.  498 dm makes it into N NC!

Saw the Meteostar. Are those highs in the twenties possibly as far as Charleston on 1/9? Epic cold.

Yeah. High would likely come in the morning (around 30) but temps crash during day to a low of 20 or 19, per Euro...so likely people won't be up for the "high"...yeah, it's cold. 1/9 same thing, except high in evening is around 34 I believe...I'm eyeballing a SC map for Charleston, so I think I'm close :)

Yeah. High would likely come in the morning (around 30) but temps crash during day to a low of 20 or 19, per Euro...so likely people won't be up for the "high"...yeah, it's cold. 1/9 same thing, except high in evening is around 34 I believe...I'm eyeballing a SC map for Charleston, so I think I'm close :)

There's something awesome about hitting a high early in the morning/afternoon and being able to go outside and feel the wind drop the temps fast as the cold surges in.

Looking back at an old post, for the record, it seems Euro saw cold drop first at 216 hours out...although it flipped again if I recall correctly...GFS para then caught on and never let go, followed by GFS, then Euro again. Just shows how much the models are struggling right now at least in the LR.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45184-winter-2014-2015-pattern-discussion-thread-ii/?view=findpost&p=3218509

There's something awesome about hitting a high early in the morning/afternoon and being able to go outside and feel the wind drop the temps fast as the cold surges in.

Agreed. I like watching DP's crash on stations around me (don't have my own), cold dry air FTW!

GSO gets down to 8 on the Euro.  I think the 12z run had a low in the upper teens.  Looks like the cold matches up well with the GFS.  After eight consecutive winters without any single digit temperatures, we might get two winters in a row with them here.

1000-500 mb thicknesses are nuts.  498 dm makes it into N NC!

Looking at GSO sounding from 1/7/2014, thickness only got as low as 517 dam. Breaking into sub-500 dam would be insane!

siO3PfI.gif

Wow the low for RDU is 14...high? 20... And the Euro EPS and OP had a SE RIDGE during this time period....now the 00z run comes in like it has in the LR, meanwhile the Euro LR looks terrible. I don't know who I trust but I do lean in the GFS's direction for Day 10+, surprisingly. If it didn't see this first cold snap, will it see the next? Would love to see the verification scores Euro vs GFS from Dec 18th to present.

Just my two cents but I think we end up in a reloading pattern with this cold. I think the GFS has the right of it. Relax and reload over the next three weeks. 

6z GFS looks about the same a the 0z. Event in the long range it shows a brief warm up before more cold spills in. The cold does look very eastern oriented. For a nice winter storm setup, we really want the cold centered a little more westward(..ironic).  But this is the long range and even if this does setup like depicted there could easily be some clipper action.  

Just my two cents but I think we end up in a reloading pattern with this cold. I think the GFS has the right of it. Relax and reload over the next three weeks. 

I think it's important to just get the cold air into the SE at this time period. Eventually things will setup for our winter storm. Many were writing off January, so this cold will be bonus.

RAH starting t step the temps down for next week:

BEYOND SUNDAY NIGHT...SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE EXTENDS ACROSS THE GULF
THROUGH MUCH IF NOT ALL OF THE REST OF THE LONG-TERM PERIOD...WHICH
SHOULD CERTAINLY LIMIT LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE RETURN TOWARD CENTRAL
NORTH CAROLINA. ANOTHER SURFACE FRONT SHOULD MOVE ACROSS CENTRAL
NORTH CAROLINA LATE TUESDAY INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY...AND WHILE THIS
FRONT SHOULD MOVE THROUGH DRY...IT SHOULD YIELD QUITE CHILLY
TEMPERATURES FOR THE END OF THE WEEK...COLDEST THURSDAY WITH HIGHS
IN MANY LOCATIONS LIKELY STAYING IN THE 30S
. AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH
AXIS MOVES THROUGH THE MID-ATLANTIC AND CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA LATE
WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY...AND AHEAD OF THIS TROUGH AXIS THERE IS
FORECAST AN INCREASE IN MID-LEVEL MOISTURE OVER THE AREA FOR
WEDNESDAY
. MODEL QPF IS NONE AND MEX AND MEE MOS GUIDANCE POPS ARE
BELOW CLIMATOLOGY...SO WILL LEAVE THE FORECAST DRY FOR NOW. A
FORECAST ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE VERY LIGHT AND MOSTLY TRACE
PRECIPITATION TOWARD THE VIRGINIA BORDER WHERE THE DRY 850MB AIR IS
NOT QUITE AS DRY RELATIVE TO THE REST OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

SPEAKING OF DRY AIR...WITH THE COLDER AIR COULD COME SOME FAIRLY LOW
SURFACE DEW POINTS. SOME GUIDANCE SUGGESTS SURFACE DEW POINTS WELL
BELOW ZERO THURSDAY...POSSIBLY CLOSE TO -10F BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

WILL HOLD OFF GOING THAT LOW FOR NOW...BUT STILL SHOW WIDESPREAD
SURFACE DEW POINTS OF ZERO TO -5F THURSDAY. 1000-850MB THICKNESSES
WOULD SUPPORT LOWS THURSDAY NIGHT BELOW THE FORECAST...BUT WILL
STRAY CLOSER TO THE HPC AND MOS GUIDANCE...STILL FORECASTING A LOT
OF TEENS...OVER CONCERNS ABOUT UPPER-LEVEL MOISTURE IN THE NORTHWEST
FLOW ALOFT AND POSSIBLY DUE TO OROGRAPHIC EFFECTS

Do yall have any idea of how many post brick is gonna put out tommorow complaining about cold / dry. And he'll be at work.

I'm there with him. What's exciting about cold and dry? I talked to Frosty Wednesday and he hates cold and dry. Now I like to see how cold we can get after it snows but just cold and dry is useless.

It's erie how close we are resembling to last year. If that's any indication we should have a winter storm between the 15th - 24th.

I like how the progression of an El Nino winter fits w/ last year around here, but it's obvious this isn't a repeat of last year . For starters, the temperature distribution in December is a complete inversion of this year, coldest anoms this yr generally towards the SE US, warmest over the midwest & north-central Rockies...

December-2013-temps.png

Dec-1-30-2014.gif

There was a storm on the 21st, but the first snow of the season north of US 64 came on the 15-16th... I like the idea (if @ all) of trying to squeeze one out just a tad earlier, maybe in the 2nd week of January...

I believe our first real cold snap didn't come until around Jan. 12th or so?  Clippers never work out for my area but def. would not be shocked for something to get caught in the northern branch and eek out a surprise either. 

I like how the progression of an El Nino winter fits w/ last year around here, but it's obvious this isn't a repeat of last year . For starters, the temperature distribution in December is a complete inversion of this year, coldest anoms this yr generally towards the SE US, warmest over the midwest & north-central Rockies...

Well def. pattern differences.....however just from a pure timing perspective and similarity with a big cold dump kind of coming at us when the models have been in madness mode. Same thing last year around here.  My prediction is about as scientific as a psychic but just funny how it appears to be working out. 

When it rains it pours; more good news from the indices:

PNA - looks to go back positive very quickly

NAO - Goes more positive but looks to dive negative in the LR

AO - After getting up towards +4 also looks to dive negative in the LR.

So it would seem our chances should significantly increase for winter storms at mid to late month. All this cold/dry air will (maybe) set us up for a great ending to the month. 

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

So it would seem our chances should significantly increase for winter storms at mid to late month. All this cold/dry air will (maybe) set us up for a great ending to the month. 

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Looks like that NAO dive is happening around the 16th....perfect timing to me. This could get very interesting over the next two weeks. 

I believe our first real cold snap didn't come until around Jan. 12th or so?  Clippers never work out for my area but def. would not be shocked for something to get caught in the northern branch and eek out a surprise either. 

Here's the daily summary for last January for our general area:

DVhTxw3.png

6z GFS looks about the same a the 0z. Event in the long range it shows a brief warm up before more cold spills in. The cold does look very eastern oriented. For a nice winter storm setup, we really want the cold centered a little more westward(..ironic).  But this is the long range and even if this does setup like depicted there could easily be some clipper action.  

6z was colder than 0z for some areas.

6z @156 hrs:

2srjGmv.gif

0z @ 162 hrs:

3m0wFDl.gif

It's interesting we aren't torching with phase 5, +AO, and +NAO. I know EPO is dominating but can't imagine what would happen with phase 8/1/2, -AO, +PNA... if it ever comes.

DT made a point about MJO plots from SUNY-Albany (http://www.wxrisk.com/this-issue-is-still-undecided/) and noted on his Facebook page how well these plots are performing lately. Interesting...

Those things have done well....I'm confused why he's so pessimistic on things if we go into the COD, its a hell of a lot better than 4-5-6...yes its not as good as 7-8-1 but it does not mean we're going to torch

Those things have done well....I'm confused why he's so pessimistic on things if we go into the COD, its a hell of a lot better than 4-5-6...yes its not as good as 7-8-1 but it does not mean we're going to torch

Curious what he actually thinks is going to happen, essentially he just said how the MJO goes we go.

Archived