• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

It's interesting we aren't torching with phase 5, +AO, and +NAO. I know EPO is dominating but can't imagine what would happen with phase 8/1/2, -AO, +PNA... if it ever comes.

If memory is right the EPO saved us last year as well. I remember looking at the continuous bad look of the indices and eventually just ignoring them.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this look in the long range....we may be turning a corner if this look keeps up. Verbatim everything is a bit east, but I love the western ridge, the higher heights over the pole/greenland and a split flow.  At least it's not 384! Seems to agree with ensembles too, just not as intense of course.  See if it holds for a few more runs.

nWHm0b6l.png

Thanks. For some reason I thought that first big cold push came more towards the middle of Jan. 

It was 3 big cold snaps, one in early Jan with our first high in the 20's lows in the 0's and the second and third in the last 10 days of the month where we did it again.  You wouldn't know it but nearly the middle third of the month was mostly at or above average... at least IMBY.  We had a soild movement of cold into the area with some major arctic fronts sweeping through (-EPO) but nothing to hold it in for an extended period of time (+AO/NAO)

Got our big cold in jan, then our big snow in Feb. ;)

I'm getting the arctic attack thread together as we speak...just waiting on the 12z GFS to get further along so I can impliment some of those maps into the original post...

Wow,  another red flag that this winter has sucked.  Making threads on transient cold shots 6 days out..  It looks right now that it will get cold but wow, desperate for anything at this point I see.

Transient single digits is worthy of a thread !

I'll take a day that doesn't make it above freezing...KATL usually gets 1-2 of those per season so it's about right on schedule if it verifies.  I wouldn't bank on single digits for the SE forum though...  The cold could have trouble getting across the apps for NC and could moderate above 10 before it makes it down into GA.  Plenty of time for this to trend a little in either direction....  I think I like the blend take that Delta seems to be taking....

Last season's cold shot got me down under 4 degrees.  I think it would be a stretch at the current time to think that we will rival that....

GFS is very cold for the SE, as we all know, not as cold as the EURO, about 8-10 degrees warmer.  LOL  Either way, we will meet somewhere in the middle and MANY of us won't get above FREEZING next THUR.  

The GFS had me at 5 degrees next Thursday morning so if that is 8-10 degrees too warm then I think I might make a run at 0 or below.....

12z GFS is just cold pretty much throughout the run.  Gets seasonal then cold again.  Very nice. 

In general, I'll be very happy if we can pull the trigger on winter mid January and stay active with Blocking until March 1.  Until this last few runs that didn't look possible.  It's on the table now IMO.  Like to get more consecutive runs in though. 

I love cold and snow man....  I am disappointed in "my" weeklies though.  I view them as solid as a long range model can be and yes they let me down in that regard.  I do probably ride the weeklies a bit hard but everyone has their favorites...  Those are mine :)  Although I'm not sure the weeklies ever had the SE ridge like some of the other models were showing.  I definitely like the notion that the Globals seem to have dropped the idea of the SE ridge completely for the time being....

Yes the weeklies had the SE ridge too on 12/22, 12/25, and 12/29 and like I've mentioned you should probably treat it like the Euro ENS because it's just an extended version of that and they've been terrible recently, so I wouldn't trust the weeklies either but that's just me. Some treat it like crystal ball looking into the future, I think most don't treat it for what it is, a model. It looks not to verify a lot this winter IMO, if it keeps up this warm bias. Control runs were even worse than the mean...death ridge on some, but was easy to see even in the weeklies with the location of the cold and the ridging out west, the cold had to come south.

Un1ojDg.png

Those things have done well....I'm confused why he's so pessimistic on things if we go into the COD, its a hell of a lot better than 4-5-6...yes its not as good as 7-8-1 but it does not mean we're going to torch

Snowgoose,

Agreed 100%. According to my analysis of ATL daily JAN temp.'s since 1975, having an amplitude of under 1 (COD) in a particular phase is consistently colder than being outside of the COD on average in that particular phase. So, for example, being in the COD form phase 5, the warmest by a good margin, is not nearly as warm as being outside the COD in phase 5. Phase 5 outside the COD has averaged over a whopping ~6 F above normal (warmest by far) whereas phase 5 within the COD has averaged only about 1 F above normal.

I'll post more details about my MJO phase findings as soon as I get the time.

Teaser: being in the COD in phase 8 is the coldest by a pretty good margin...nearly 6 below normal! Being in phase 8 outside the COD has been only ~0.5 F colder than normal. Fascinating stuff imo! I never would have guessed this without seeing the actual numbers for myself. And the statistical credibility is quite good due to nice sample sizes. Total sample has a whopping 1,240 days!

**Edited**

I like what the Euro is depicting for NC right after the cold spell. If that confluence in the NE can hang around a little longer we could be in business. Weak impulses coming out of the SW with enough cold air in place can get this party started. 

I agree.  I am seeing it too. It at least holds potential and gives us something other than bone chilling cold to follow.

Next weekend may bear watching. Euro is ejecting that energy out sooner with a 1040 high sliding down and enough confluence in the NE to help maybe get something. 

I agree!! I just can't see the CAD areas, maybe not all of the area, getting out of here w/o an ICE event

Problem would be we are quickly loosing the confluence and the high. Too many specifics, but nice to see the potential 

Yea I have a feeling that confluence sticks around longer. CMC also had a monster wedge showing up. The problem before was there was just nothing in the flow and what was there just went in the meat grinder. It'll be interesting to see if Euro lets some energy sneak in as we get closer. Just something to keep an eye on for sure. 

Archived