• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

This is an excellent post! I could not agree more. I have been meaning to make a similar post with some facts from past winters associated, but have had tons of Holiday activities with family and friends and have taken the time to only read the doom and gloom many have been spouting. Anyone that believed the wall to wall cold that was being hyped here among other places was destined for disappointment. If you can't get at least a little excited about the coming cold shot and potential pattern beyond that, then maybe you should consider gardening as a hobby. There is certainly more opportunities for that in the SE.

The whole "doom and gloom many have been spouting" argument is a straw man, and it keeps coming up. Nobody has seriously canceled winter, well, except maybe Max.

Discussing that December sucked isn't doom and gloom. Discussing that the models have shown good patterns in the LR that have yet to verify isn't doom and gloom. Discussing things that can mess up a pattern or a potential snowstorm isn't doom and gloom.

I mean, it's fun and all to see pretty red colors over Greenland and big west coast ridges 15 days away and purple colors in the SE and 2 day long snowstorms, but how many times do you see that modeled compared to how many times it turns out that way?

It's hard to get snow in the SE. It's not just bad luck every time. It's hard to get snow. So some degree of skepticism is justified and even wise. To me, that's not do and gloom -- it's realism.

I don't really see all these doom and gloom people that are writing off winter that you guys are talking about.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LR Euro continues to be a dumpster fire.

Good news is, it'll probably change. We will probably get attacked arctically twice. There is currently no clear winter storm threat showing up, although the pattern should present a few windows for it. At least this a step in the right direction, kinda like that Pathfinder game on the old Price Is Right. We've stepped on the second correct number. Only 3 more to go!

If I recall, numerous LR Euro forecasts valid for mid to late next week were showing above normal to even blow torch conditions. Those will bust badly. Putting stock in any model beyond a few days right now is dangerous. The LR Euro has behaved very badly. Weighing too much on them does little more than fuel emotions. Best option is to try to put all of the puzzle pieces together to try to see trends. It is apparent to me and many others that the sum of all of the pieces being discussed are starting to point in the right direction. Cold next week is becoming obvious. The pattern beyond that is beginning to look more promising. Not based on one model run, but the whole picture. Let's all stop for a minute and look where we were last Saturday. Now look where we are now. Are we moving in the right direction? I think the answer is obvious. If you are angry until you have 12" of snow IYBY, I guess I can't help that right now.

Ind euro members are starting to show more southern frozen solutions. Especially NC compared to the last few runs.

Yeah, wasn't going to bring that up, seems to be a lot of EPS haters in our region. LOL.

I don't really get excited about ice threats, but day 8-11.....

Yeah, wasn't going to bring that up, seems to be a lot of EPS haters in our region. LOL.

I don't really get excited about ice threats, but day 8-11.....

Because the snow algorithm uses 3rd grade math, the verbatim output is unreliable at best. I use it as a clue to get an idea of storm tracks and temps being marginal at worst.

The mslp tracks are all over the place. Little clarity but a half decent run overall. Looks active.

If I recall, numerous LR Euro forecasts valid for mid to late next week were showing above normal to even blow torch conditions. Those will bust badly. Putting stock in any model beyond a few days right now is dangerous. The LR Euro has behaved very badly. Weighing too much on them does little more than fuel emotions. Best option is to try to put all of the puzzle pieces together to try to see trends. It is apparent to me and many others that the sum of all of the pieces being discussed are starting to point in the right direction. Cold next week is becoming obvious. The pattern beyond that is beginning to look more promising. Not based on one model run, but the whole picture. Let's all stop for a minute and look where we were last Saturday. Now look where we are now. Are we moving in the right direction? I think the answer is obvious. If you are angry until you have 12" of snow IYBY, I guess I can't help that right now.

Good post. We definitely appear to be headed to a better place. It'll be fun when we have some real threats to track. A little disappointment in how things have gone thus far shouldn't be unexpected, given how things looked in November. But there is reason to be somewhat more optimistic (and realistic), going forward.

ATL's warmest MJO in Jan (back to 1975) has been phase 5 outside of the circle while phase 8 somewhat within or barely outside the circle (amplitude of 0.50 to 1.25) has been the coldest:

Temp. anomalies after normalization:

Phase 5 (amplitude >1):
MB 13%, B 4% N 13%, A 19%, MA 51%

Phase 8 (amplitude 1.25 to 0.50):
MB 48%, B 26% N 16%,  A 0%,  MA 10%     

HR180, a 1045mb high over eastern  IA/western IL and we have a weak area of low pressure over the WGOM, EVERYONE pretty much below freezing at 2m over the central and northern portions of the states.  IF we get that sucker moving EAST from the WGOM, it will be at least an ICY MESS!!  ZR MESS over TX and LA

HR180, a 1045mb high over eastern  IA/western IL and we have a weak area of low pressure over the WGOM, EVERYONE pretty much below freezing at 2m over the central and northern portions of the states.  IF we get that sucker moving EAST from the WGOM, it will be at least an ICY MESS!!  ZR MESS over TX and LA

Yep, that's the best look at 500mb I have seen this season. This could be the ticket folks.

Anybody have a report on the euro ensembles from overnight? Thanks!

Yeah, Euro is coming around in the LR. Looping through some of the LR patterns I'm pretty optimistic after 240...People say to not look at the models this far out and whatever but I try to look for trends, no matter how far out it is...if they are present, you can't dismiss them. We've been talking about 1/15+ for a while now and if you glance at teleconnections you can see the models are sniffing out a super positive +PNA, and the AO/NAO is headed at least neutral at this time.

With that said, you see solutions like this on the GFS OP...block over the top and deep cold?

qbnDMgN.gif

Contrast that with the GFS ensemble...check out the negative anomaly off the coast of NC and the general look here with the +PNA...

AApaqpH.gif

Then you look at the Euro. I've said the Euro EPS seems to be terrible lately in the LR...but it's still trying to put a little trough over the SE...This map may trend to an awesome pattern...I see on the Euro control s/w after s/w coming through the SE, tapping the gulf and riding off the coast. In fact, the last frame is a low over north florida with a pretty deep high over NY.

Fc6b0Ux.png

To me, anyone looking the LR for a stormy + decent cold pattern should be excited. Given it's 288hrs out we need to keep an eye on it, once inside 240 we'll start to get an idea on most of the models what exactly 1/15+ holds.

It is much wetter due to the Miller A on the 12Z GFS but the Arctic high to the north us quite a bit weaker and it is a good bit warmer (too warm for many). I'm sure this is all related (warmer but wetter). Still time to change later, of course.

I think we really need to monitor next weekend. It's got potential. As that bulk of moisture leaves the Gulf and heads our way a CAD signal is present and around 180 there are 2m temps showing up below freezing for a brief time for parts of NC. It looks WAA takes over but it's something to keep an eye on for ice I think.

Would love for the smarter people to chime in.

Archived