KGSP - .03 ZR
KRDU - .04 PL, .06 ZR
KMCN - Rain
KBHM - Rain
KHSV - .04 PL, Flurries
KCHS - Rain
KCEU - .04 ZR
KUZA - .06 PL, Trace ZR

Overall, system is a lot weaker.  Looks like KCAE is hit the worst with sleet instead of ZR as modeled yesterday.  In other words, colder.

I made a post in the ma subforum about the strat split. Is it coincidence or connected that the arctic outbreak coincides almost perfectly with the brief split @ 10-30-50mbs next week?

I have read that the split is very short lived.  Do you have any thoughts on why it goes away so quickly?  I have very little experience with all the SSW/PV stuff.

I have read that the split is very short lived. Do you have any thoughts on why it goes away so quickly? I have very little experience with all the SSW/PV stuff.

I have little experience as well. Wxbell's strat plots show isobars and temps overlaid so it's really easy to see the process.

I suppose this particular warming is too weak to have a lasting impact. Previous warnings this season were only able to elongate the vortex and not split it. Coastalwx says it perfectly with "bend don't break" type of persistence.

This warming event does pull off the split but isn't strong or long enough to keep the strat pv from returning to this season's "persistence" state. I know enough about the topic to be dangerous at best though.

I think I already know what Dr. Cohen's next blog update is going to say....and we won't like it.

A little update on some thoughts for next week, not much but something until later today/tonight when I do a video.  The doc cold air shot is very impressive.  Likely too cold, but we all can agree, we are going to get cold next week.  right??  -Chris 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Why do you think it's TOO COLD? The NWS sure is not showing it

The NWS won't until closer.  They would like more model consensus.  Right now, they are all showing the cold so I'd assume after 00z we'll start to hear about the possibility in the discussions.

I have little experience as well. Wxbell's strat plots show isobars and temps overlaid so it's really easy to see the process.

I suppose this particular warming is too weak to have a lasting impact. Previous warnings this season were only able to elongate the vortex and not split it. Coastalwx says it perfectly with "bend don't break" type of persistence.

This warming event does pull off the split but isn't strong or long enough to keep the strat pv from returning to this season's "persistence" state. I know enough about the topic to be dangerous at best though.

I think I already know what Dr. Cohen's next blog update is going to say....and we won't like it.

I don't know squat but to look at WB's charts and from there you can see it's still fairly intact at 30/50mb and still fairly strong.  It's still warm/weak at 10mb at day 10, even though it's located over the pole.  We obviously need further warming and for it to affect it further down (30/50mb).

I know you didn't ask me but usually modeled cold never verifies THAT cold. Add like 5 or so degrees at least in non-elevated areas.

Euro ensembles in the day 10-15 range look horrible . nothing like the GEFS

It's ok, it has time to adjust. We're likely to see a relax and reload, probably after the 15th so that's Ok, but I also keep in mind the 10-15 day range on the EPS for this cold influx had a SE ridge basically torch all the way up to NC with the 540 line in the lakes...aka EPS sucks that far out right now. Some were worried about a pesky SE ridge while only a handful of us were saying the ridge will get squashed completely with that amount of cold in E Canada.

It's ok, it has time to adjust. We're likely to see a relax and reload, probably after the 15th so that's Ok, but I also keep in mind the 10-15 day range on the EPS for this cold influx had a SE ridge basically torch all the way up to NC with the 540 line in the lakes...aka EPS sucks that far out right now. Some were worried about a pesky SE ridge while only a handful of us were saying the ridge will get squashed completely with that amount of cold in E Canada.

Great point

Folks,

The 12Z Euro has very cold coming to the SE US centered on 1/8. The MJO progs mostly have it in phase 5 on that day. IF that verifies along with the strong cold, it would be only a little warmer than Atlanta's (as well as that of some other areas) coldest phase 5 Jan day on record (1974-present). The current coldest phase 5 day is 1/2/2008, when the mean was only 25 (High 30 and low 20). The Euro has ATL only a little warmer than 25. By the way, the coldest low for phase 5 in JAN at ATL is the 15 of 1/3/2008. The Euro has low 20's for the low though it tends to be warm biased in some situations.

Keep in mind that phase 5 has been the warmest phase on average in ATL in JAN since 1975 by a wide margin and the % of much below normal days (8 or more below normal) has been the lowest for phase 5 (12% or only 9 days). Of those 9 MB days, 6 of them were during the weak Nino of 1978 and they were consecutive days (1/26-31). The 25 being the coldest is the warmest coldest day of the 8 phases and COD, which is intuitive. Let's see if 1/8 really ends up in phase 5 and, if so, if the coldest phase 5 day at ATL ends up getting challenged.

yeah hopefully we have learned not to take these days 10 to 15 day progs as the gospel. Will we have a relaxation in the pattern yes but will we torch who knowas until we get closer to that time period.

Jon,

Great point! I just now looked back in my files and saw that the following EPS 11-15 outlooks were for above normal temp.'s in the SE US:

12/25 0Z: for 0Z 1/5-1/9

12/25 12Z: for 12Z 1/5-1/9

12/26 0Z: for 0Z 1/6-10

12/26 12Z: for 12Z 1/6-10

12/27 0Z: for 0Z 1/7-11

In other words, those EPS 11-15 day outlooks are looking to verify as having been strongly warm biased. Keep this in mind as we go forward and take the EPS 11-15 day outlooks with a huge grain for now.

The Euro tends to have some warm bias overall anyway.

I know you didn't ask me but usually modeled cold never verifies THAT cold. Add like 5 or so degrees at least in non-elevated areas.

Agreed, thanks Jon, I think that will be likely to cold, its an extreme run of an OP.  HOWEVER**  I do think we get MUCH colder next week, and I think we can agree, its going to happen...just how cold, and for how long?

Agreed, thanks Jon, I think that will be likely to cold, its an extreme run of an OP.  HOWEVER**  I do think we get MUCH colder next week, and I think we can agree, its going to happen...just how cold, and for how long?

Maybe not too long.

No sugar coating it, day 15 Euro ENS just looks warm. Negative anomaly over AK. +AO, warmth across most of North America.

Maybe not too long.

No sugar coating it, day 15 Euro ENS just looks warm. Negative anomaly over AK. +AO, warmth across most of North America.

However, the Euro ENS has had a sig. warm bias recently, especially in the 11-15 day period. I'd take its warmth with a grain for now.

I was just looking at the Euro weekly for week 2 (1/5-11) released just one week ago today (12/25) and it had solid warmth in the SE US (see first attachment week 2).

The Euro weeklies from 10 days ago, 12/22, had the entire E US in a blowtorch during 1/5-11 (that release's week 3). See 2nd attachment week 3.

Moral of the story: TAKE EURO 11-15 PROGS and EURO WEEKLIES with HUGE GRAIN

1. 12/25 Euro wklies 2 M temp. anomalies: note how warm is the SE in week 2 for 1/5-11:

post-882-0-77433500-1420151128_thumb.gif

2. 12/22 Euro wklies 2 M temp. anomalies: note the blowtorch in the E US in week 3 for 1/5-11

post-882-0-91033300-1420151387_thumb.gif

However, the Euro ENS has had a sig. warm bias recently, especially in the 11-15 day period. I'd take its warmth with a grain for now.

I was just looking at the Euro weekly for week 2 (1/5-11) released just one week ago today (12/25) and it had solid warmth in the SE US (see first attachment week 2).

The Euro weeklies from 10 days ago, 12/22, had the entire E US in a blowtorch during 1/5-11 (that release's week 3). See 2nd attachment week 3.

Moral of the story: TAKE EURO 11-15 PROGS and EURO WEEKLIES with HUGE GRAIN

1. 12/25 Euro wklies 2 M temp. anomalies: note how warm is the SE in week 2 for 1/5-11:

attachicon.gifEuroWeekly122514Temps2M.gif

2. 12/22 Euro wklies 2 M temp. anomalies: note the blowtorch in the E US in week 3 for 1/5-11

attachicon.gifEuroWeekly122214Temps2M.gif

That's why I said, maybe.  :)  In fact I currently take the models with such a a huge grain of salt, and salt is being generous, that I feel it is pretty much a waste of time to even look at them, much less write posts about what they show, more than 5 days out.  

Archived