northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rofl...like I said I would be shocked if NYC got 3 FEET....looks like they aren't gonna come close to two. A met at HAZWX tweeted out this image earlier of the 12z nam with a funky algorithm they use (Kuchera method? per talking to him on twitter)

pe82IiT.jpg

Anyway, that might not verify...although he did agree with me those totals were too high, especially the 4.5 feet widespread just east of NYC in long island. Needless to say though that image got a lot of retweets...people will be scratching their head..

And......

OH SNAP.  :lmao:

Of course, it showed like 40" of snow last run, so it might still work out okay.  Looks terrible for N NJ, though.

Honestly, it was a huge shift for a freaking hr 12 forecast.  Embarrassing for that model...  Close to a 100 mile shift. :yikes:

those huge last minute shifts are a bitc*, course we know all about them.

Funny thing is in NYC, if you are driving your car after 11pm, it's automatic 350$ fine if you are caught! I thought they could handle snow!?

No one can handle 3-4" a hr for hrs at a time and they don't want cars getting stuck all over cause then they cant plow. Then people have heart attacks and cant get anywhere cause  emergency vehicles cant move around due to all the vehicles stuck in the roads.

The radar looks pretty insane rates of LI are easily 2-4" a hr in those heavier bands and its drifting back into the city and reaching the NJ coast now most models didn't have things really getting cranked till after 10 tonight when better mid level support moves in so we shall see what is what.

Lol. NAM went east. Now they are trashing after praising it earlier. Euro is on its own.

NWS standing firm.

Forecast is still on track with bands of moderate to heavy snow working their way west-northwest http://ow.ly/i/8oZz5 

Retweet
Favorite
More

The NAM still probably drops 12-18" once it's all said and done. They've got a good 5" on the ground now with about 1" QPF to come or so. Of course, it's the NAM, so maybe it's overdone.

I have seen the NAM spit out runs like this before and be wrong but I'd be sweating if I was in NYC.

NWS standing firm.

45]

User Actions FollowNWSLogo_bigger.jpgNWS New York NYVerified account@NWSNewYorkNY

Forecast is still on track with bands of moderate to heavy snow working their way west-northwest http://ow.ly/i/8oZz5

Retweet

Favorite

More

Yep! They cant back away now with the way them discussions were worded. I guess they are staying by the Euro since it completely led the way with this storm.

TWC just showed a satellite image of the storm and lightning strikes were exploding near the center. Thing is rapidly deepening.

Yep! They can back away now with the way them discussions were worded. I guess they are staying by the Euro since it completely led the way with this storm.

TWC just showed a satellite image of the storm and lightning strikes were exploding near the center. Thing is rapidly deepening.

All that just makes "storms" down here seem so... boring.  It gets cold.  We get a piddly little band of showers up from the south that drops .25-.5 liquid and get a few inches of snow.  We exult for a week.  LOL.

This loop pretty much says it all unless it just slams on the brakes they are in for a epic snowstorm tonight, nowhere east of that band is getting less than 1" a hr and its more like 2-3" most likely  and anywhere its yellow is 3-4" or more a hr, So even if it "only" sits over you for 2-3 hrs you still got a foot or so....

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/ny/new-york-city/okx/?region=hfd

TWC keeps showing how the different models are showing different solutions, but they're not discussing how the storm is developing wrt the various models' forecasts, so that they would know which one might be performing the best. I would think that would be something they would want to discuss.

It really is kinda fun watching wall to wall wx coverage of the big blizzard thing on TV. Wish it was here, but it's still fun to watch.

From a met perspective it's fun to follow..but from a personal perspective, it sucks.

All that just makes "storms" down here seem so... boring.  It gets cold.  We get a piddly little band of showers up from the south that drops .25-.5 liquid and get a few inches of snow.  We exult for a week.  LOL.

Yeah I think that to myself every time they get a big one and have again several times today. It's like them winning a 250 million dollar jackpot while we flip out over winning a  few bucks or another free ticket on a scratch off.  I can't decide if it's funny, sad, pathetic, or just weird. Maybe all of the above? :arrowhead:

The city is still looking atleast 12-15", with the 5" they already got plus another 10" or so. It's not like they aren't going to get a great event.

Boston looks great for 2'+.

If they had not gotten that somewhat flukish band there would have been a a lot of cliff diving already.  It was funny watching all the weenies literally screaming that it proved the nam and euro would be right even though it proved absolutely nothing.  But its pretty amazing it set up where it did to the point that if totals are not as advertised with the main event, it could save some forecasters some grief.  would be worried if I was in new jersey or just west of town. the hrrr has been remarkably consistent in showing the city being the cutoff between the halfs and half nots and frankly that looks like what they trends are.

If they had not gotten that somewhat flukish band there would have been a a lot of cliff diving already.  It was funny watching all the weenies literally screaming that it proved the nam and euro would be right even though it proved absolutely nothing.  But its pretty amazing it set up where it did to the point that if totals are not as advertised with the main event, it could save some forecasters some grief.  would be worried if I was in new jersey or just west of town. the hrrr has been remarkably consistent in showing the city being the cutoff between the halfs and half nots and frankly that looks like what they trends are.

Flukish early starts are always deceiving.  I've seen that a few times with our storms where we get some unexpected early overrunning precip and start believing that we're going to overperform, then we don't.

Flukish early starts are always deceiving. I've seen that a few times with our storms where we get some unexpected early overrunning precip and start believing that we're going to overperform, then we don't.

Lol! Mack can tell you about that last year. He thought dem 6 inchez wuz gonna b a bonus.

Some folks in the SE are actually getting snow. There were some decent returns north of Atlanta but since have disappeared.

post of the day in the nyc thread

typically weenie stuff, these guys do just like the folks down here do when the storm is starting and the radar looks like crap and everyone gets all panicky and starts sweating a bust.....they will get hammered in NYC maybe not 24-36" but 16-24" is a safe bet city wide.

Archived