joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles definitely look al ot better in the 11-15 day...they've been steadily improving...but don't take it to mean they are awesome either.

Nice ridge over the NW territories as Scott said...also the heights just west of there too seem to be rebuilding a bit. Basically a bit more of an east-based -EPO trying to re-establish itself. It's not frigid but plenty cold enough...we don't need -10 anomalies to snow. But the important part is it doesn't look zonal firehose...we get the meridional flow.

I guess you missed the point when he posted to Scott that the war/se ridge will be of a issue for nyc then Sne. As you guys can get away with it a bit more. Obviously you didn't see it, so you did what you do best and throw a tanturm.

Well what I said and Don S seemed to see it too, was that we lose the SE ridge as the PNA tries to go +. Those anomalies in Canada are from the +PNA, but "warm" heights in Canada are still chilly in January. I think the only way it fails, is if a big GOAK trough develops, but I don't see that for now.

I guess you missed the point when he posted to Scott that the war/se ridge will be more of a issue for nyc then Sne. As you guys can get away with it a bit more. Obviously you didn't see it, so you did what you do best and threw a tanturm.

The point is and was and until you can understand it I guess .. The SE ridge is gone. It's no longer there for here, NYC or Georgia

Well what I said and Don S seemed to see it too, was that we lose the SE ridge as the PNA tries to go +. Those anomalies in Canada are from the +PNA, but "warm" heights in Canada are still chilly in January. I think the only way it fails, is if a big GOAK trough develops, but I don't see that for now.

Agree..and the eps looks even better at 12z. I think we are on the same page on how bluewave was not melting down, just having a disscussion while providing information to back up his thoughts.

I agree. I suspect the PNA+ will, at a minimum, blunt the SE ridge. It will be interesting to see how things finally evolve. I'm certainly looking forward to the clipper and shot of Arctic cold afterward.

ALB starting the first 4 days of Jan way above normal.  Nighttime lows the culprit.  I think we're going to rapidly reverse that over the coming week.  Especially if we can lay down an inch or two of snow from lake effect or the clipper.... and clouds can dissipate at night.  Should be the coldest week in 11 months.

I expect one of the 2 clippers and/or arctic fronts this week to bring a general 2-4 inches across at least parts if not most of New England.  They sometimes look anemic and then get a little better.  I will be in London until Friday but am wondering about this snippet from HPC referring to Fri-Sat.  Does this system look to develop to the northeast given the pattern?

FOR DAY 6-7...AN ORGANIZED MID-LEVEL SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO EXIT
THE SOUTH CENTRAL ROCKIES AND PRODUCE OVER-RUNNING PRECIPITATION
ALONG THE WESTERN GULF COAST---AND SPREAD NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE
LOWER HALF OF THE MS VALLEY.

Boy I'll tell ya ... the disconnect between the appeal of operational runs wrt to the GEFs-based PNA teleconnector leaves something to be desired... 

I haven't seen the CDC update from the 00z run because as is typical, given a reason to suspect their indices page won't be updated, like a holiday within light year ...their intern/grad student in charge of running the product is hung-over and still asleep apparently.   But the CPC still has the members clustered and rising.

Just that we're not seeing a very good presentation in the operational runs, ...which as they are, has blistering cold followed by a pattern relaxation that doesn't appear destined to anywhere...  However, if the phase shift in the PNA rings true, there should be an active mid-month period there

EC kind of meh in the 11-15 range.

I think any change will wait until the 18-22 day range. Just a guess, I'm not anywhere near as technical as all of you just has that look and feel that we will have fun the last week of January into the first week of February.

Until then we will need to hope for lucky timing to pop a system or two, or more of Rays favorite events.

This doesn't seem to be a reprise of 11-12. Seems to be much colder at this point. As for cold without snow. I'm enough of a winter purist (and plain cold weather guy) to prefer it over what everyone here calls a "torch". Of course, to each his own. Let's hope the flurries this week come in a little stronger and add a bit more white to the ground.

This doesn't seem to be a reprise of 11-12. Seems to be much colder at this point. As for cold without snow. I'm enough of a winter purist (and plain cold weather guy) to prefer it over what everyone here calls a "torch". Of course, to each his own. Let's hope the flurries this week come in a little stronger and add a bit more white to the ground.

1999-2000 is the closest comparison so far, that one turned cold mid January and took 2 weeks til anything meaningful happened, we had a couple of missed chances before it did.

1999-2000 is the closest comparison so far, that one turned cold mid January and took 2 weeks til anything meaningful happened, we had a couple of missed chances before it did.

Amazing I was thinking this also! A one month deep winter....mid January to mid February.

Archived