joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GEFS relaxed just a bit, but the Canadian was a bit better. It's probably will be a compromise (well we will see what the 12z EPS does) which is still serviceable in the heart of winter.

Kind of like euro op d9/10 which would give opportunities.

So for those who said toss the GEFS now understand that in the past 2 runs (we'll see about euro ens) each has caved towards each other some supporting the compromise idea.

The models have been struggling this winter with events even inside 2-3 days. I think each model has had a success or two. Some more. I'm not putting much stock in extended long range. Any of the advertised solutions could happen. Just don't know.

Some winters you can lock storm tracks or even patterns long in advance. This isn't one of those winters it seems. Makes it interesting and frustrating..lol

Not a bad EPS run. It may get dicey near day 10 for a bit, but again, ridge tries building in the longer range near the west coast. I'll take it. 

Yeah I thought it was another slight improvement from the 00z run. We could make a living on that pattern in the 11-15 day.

The D10-11 "scare" has been around for a while...we mentioned that is when the PNA goes negative for a time with more of a SW trough and the wrist-slitters could be back out in full force for that if we end up getting a cutter around that time. There's a lot of cold air over us when that initial pattern morphs so we could handle some imperfection...just have to ackowledge a full cutter can happen.

Yeah I thought it was another slight improvement from the 00z run. We could make a living on that pattern in the 11-15 day.

The D10-11 "scare" has been around for a while...we mentioned that is when the PNA goes negative for a time with more of a SW trough and the wrist-slitters could be back out in full force for that if we end up getting a cutter around that time. There's a lot of cold air over us when that initial pattern morphs so we could handle some imperfection...just have to ackowledge a full cutter can happen.

Yeah and even the cutter isn't a guarantee with that look either..esp if that vortex takes a little time to move out. But I like the heights trying to build back after mid month. Good time for it. 

Also, it could be quite a cold stretch starting Monday for maybe a week or so? Kind of flying under the radar a bit.

Yeah and even the cutter isn't a guarantee with that look either..esp if that vortex takes a little time to move out. But I like the heights trying to build back after mid month. Good time for it. 

Also, it could be quite a cold stretch starting Monday for maybe a week or so? Kind of flying under the radar a bit.

Warmest day might be the clipper on Wednesday.

I thought Wankum was all over those wind chills days ago. :lol:

Not boring, holy heck . Air masses changing faster than Rays undies after leaving the shed. so many chances at putting down some blankets, its all we asked for. The cold is about as impressive as seen . even that day 8 look with a 1052 squarely overhead with -10 850S with fresh snow cover is going to be one helluva radiator night, if progs are right.

i see a +epo, +nao, and above normal heights across the entire country

We can deal with above normal heights in Jan. I just want to see how the EC changes and it lost the awful look it had yesterday. The models were also painting lots of oranges across the country over a week ago for next week. The +NAO sucks, but we have to deal with it.  It gets ugly in the 10 day timeframe a bit, but looks better after. And that's if the EC is 100% right.

We can deal with above normal heights in Jan. I just want to see how the EC changes and it lost the awful look it had yesterday. The models were also painting lots of oranges across the country over a week ago for next week. The +NAO sucks, but we have to deal with it. It gets ugly in the 10 day timeframe a bit, but looks better after. And that's if the EC is 100% right.

And he's in Central Jersey lol

This is what scares me. Does the pattern change stick around or does everything remain progressive? It's great that we are ushering in change, but hopefully modeling can look positive past the 10th or so in the next few days. I think there may be a 'mild up'  around 10th-12th after this extremely cold shot of air. Still fantasy range modeling but I hope to see more positive guidance as we head forward and no SE ridge.

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...

NOTING A PATTERN CHANGE WITH DIGGING LONG WAVE TROUGH ACROSS THE
EASTERN U.S. WHILE A RIDGE BUILDS IN THE WEST DURING THIS
TIMEFRAME. HOWEVER...OVERALL PATTERN REMAINS PROGRESSIVE THOUGH
DOES SLOW.

This is what scares me. Does the pattern change stick around or does everything remain progressive? It's great that we are ushering in change, but hopefully modeling can look positive past the 10th or so in the next few days. I think there may be a 'mild up'  around 10th-12th after this extremely cold shot of air. Still fantasy range modeling but I hope to see more positive guidance as we head forward and no SE ridge.

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...

NOTING A PATTERN CHANGE WITH DIGGING LONG WAVE TROUGH ACROSS THE

EASTERN U.S. WHILE A RIDGE BUILDS IN THE WEST DURING THIS

TIMEFRAME. HOWEVER...OVERALL PATTERN REMAINS PROGRESSIVE THOUGH

DOES SLOW.

Relax..everything looks good..and they talked about a brief 1-2 day possible relax yesterday..that wasn't anywhere near a certainty. Enjoy deep winter ..it's here

Relax..everything looks good..and they talked about a brief 1-2 day possible relax yesterday..that wasn't anywhere near a certainty. Enjoy deep winter ..it's here

I believe winter is here and also agree with you. Pattern will relax, but not sure how yet. There is the outside chance it doesn't settle for us well. I think that needs to be realized. Didn't intend to raise fears or be a debbie downer but just looking ahead. Modeling really has been horrendus in the long range so it's difficult to guess.

I think one or two widespread colder events at least before the relaxation. Models hinting at a couple nice clipper events including that first one. Hopefully that continues. If we went cutter to a disappearing clipper act without boosting some seasonal totals I fear for this board's sanity.

They're posting about torches and warmth..Even some of the better hobbyists . They don't show that at all..Bluewave is a great poster and very knowledgable..but the dude's off his rocker on this one

Well the further north, the better and we may relax near day 10, but it looks decent up here afterwards.

Well the further north, the better and we may relax near day 10, but it looks decent up here afterwards.

Would you say NYC and LI get 2-4 inches with first clipper, Tuesday evening ?  Gets severe cold 1/5-1/10 and a modest moderation 1/11-1/20.  I think Boston on north are in great shape during relaxation period, but think NYC just misses out from 1/10-1/20 and gets stuck in 35-40 days and cold rains, for a boring mid month stretch.  What is with the 1/17 blizzard on the old GFS, any chance of that being right ??????

Would you say NYC and LI get 2-4 inches with first clipper, Tuesday evening ?  Gets severe cold 1/5-1/10 and a modest moderation 1/11-1/20.  I think Boston on north are in great shape during relaxation period, but think NYC just misses out from 1/10-1/20 and gets stuck in 35-40 days and cold rains, for a boring mid month stretch.  What is with the 1/17 blizzard on the old GFS, any chance of that being right ??????

The clipper depends on the track. I'd hate to guess right now..but maybe an inch or two to start. Going forward, it depends on the ridge out west and how sharp it is because there is a bit of a SE ridge potentially.

Archived