joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After that (day 10), the ridging tries to move east. It's a little bit of a regime change as the AK block retros and the PNA tries to go + down the road. I gotta say, the models are having a tough time and the EC has changed its tune a lot. If we can pop the PNA then it would help all of us, including the MA. Clearly the +NAO will eventually need to go though. 

Isn't the ten day euro written in stone?

Well when you look at the hemispheric height patterns, the ensembles give you a better overall image and are usually more accurate as compared to specific areas of low pressure which is what I assume you sarcastically mean. But yes, if you are tracking an area of low pressure at day 10, may the force be with you.

Well when you look at the hemispheric height patterns, the ensembles give you a better overall image and are usually more accurate as compared to specific areas of low pressure which is what I assume you sarcastically mean. But yes, if you are tracking an area of low pressure at day 10, may the force be with you.

Tone was geared to terms like "nightmare". Your explanation makes sense of it without the hyperbole. As far as LP systems go, if we haven't been taught a little humility with regard to believing in end of the run fantasies by this point, we're unteachable. Question is what the latest ensemble is hinting at regarding the overall pattern. Is it indicating a full scale change or is it simply a hiatus with a shift back to colder?

Unlike some on the boards I have no personal investment in a particular outcome. Have my preferences, of course but that has nothing to do with learning a bit more about how this great atmospheric machine works. Hard to avoid sarcasm when naturally given to being a curmudgeon

Tone was geared to terms like "nightmare". Your explanation makes sense of it without the hyperbole. As far as LP systems go, if we haven't been taught a little humility with regard to believing in end of the run fantasies by this point, we're unteachable. Question is what the latest ensemble is hinting at regarding the overall pattern. Is it indicating a full scale change or is it simply a hiatus with a shift back to colder?

Unlike some on the boards I have no personal investment in a particular outcome. Have my preferences, of course but that has nothing to do with learning a bit more about how this great atmospheric machine works. Hard to avoid sarcasm when naturally given to being a curmudgeon

It's certainly a complicated one. The GEFS basically rebuild the EPO ridge after it temporarily weakens after next week, while the euro break it down significantly, but then tries to build a ridge closer to the west coast which is a good thing down the road if it gets established. Both sets of guidance remain stubborn. My guess is probably closer to the GEFS because I've seen the EC swing a bit, but both have a period of some relaxation of bitter cold, but more storminess. This isn't necessarily cutters either.

post-837-0-56194000-1420084460_thumb.gif

Not one ounce of hyperbole in saying the ensemble (left map)  looks like a nightmare.  In fact, you would be hard pressed to draw an uglier AO than this:

attachicon.gifget_legacy_plot-web249-20150101035111-28081-2699.gif

Not one ounce of hyperbole in saying the ensemble (left map)  looks like a nightmare.  In fact, you would be hard pressed to draw an uglier AO than this:

Looks pretty good for cold and snow lovers in northern and eastern Europe, doesn't it? Kne w this was the year I should have planned that trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg! With ruble devaluation it would have been a good bargain, too. They haven't been cashing in on snow this year either. Looks like they may be getting a break.

Judah Cohen's discussion was interesting, predicting an early January major SSW.  He believes the -AO develops and we stay cold in Eastern NA straight through the rest of January, after our brief warmup (at least south of here) this weekend.  That anomolous low over the Barents sea, he thinks interferes with cold getting into Europe but not here.  

It was a good read and a very optimistic one for us I think.

Seems like a dry cold spell through Thursday after this weekend's storm and then perhaps stormy again around the 9th and 10th?

Judah Cohen's discussion was interesting, predicting an early January major SSW. He believes the -AO develops and we stay cold in Eastern NA straight through the rest of January, after our brief warmup (at least south of here) this weekend. That anomolous low over the Barents sea, he thinks interferes with cold getting into Europe but not here.

It was a good read and a very optimistic one for us I think.

Seems like a dry cold spell through Thursday after this weekend's storm and then perhaps stormy again around the 9th and 10th?

Except that's not going to happen in early Jan. The SSW that is.

The vortex does split, but it comes right back again. So I am confused why he seems to call it a SSW.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Yeah, he kind of snuck in the sentence below which indicates we need continued warming, like you said it's not a SSW but I guess it's probably close to a minor SSW per the Euro.

Don't you get then strat EPS out to day 15?  Does it continue to show warming?

Cohen Blog:  Based on the ECMWF forecast, the SSW will get close to a major SSW (defined as a zonal mean easterly wind at 10 hPa and 60°N) and would likely achieve major SSW strength with further wave driving. 

Yeah, he kind of snuck in the sentence below which indicates we need continued warming, like you said it's not a SSW but I guess it's probably close to a minor SSW per the Euro.

Don't you get then strat EPS out to day 15?  Does it continue to show warming?

Cohen Blog:  Based on the ECMWF forecast, the SSW will get close to a major SSW (defined as a zonal mean easterly wind at 10 hPa and 60°N) and would likely achieve major SSW strength with further wave driving. 

Yeah and all models at 10-50mb consolidate it right back to a black hole near the N Pole. Maybe the models are wrong, but to me, that doesn't look like a SSW. Maybe we get another push later this month or Feb...but nothing to exciting right now in that dept.

Somewhere around that time give or take a couple of days maybe? I also hesitate to claim what type of system it is this far out. It could be anything at this stage. Looks a little active regardless.

active is what we want.  We have a great cold air supply.  good enough up here for a few weeks it seems then pray for the nao...although i kept saying that last year

Interesting pattern on the GEFS vs EC. EC looks pretty lousy in the 11-15 day while the GEFS have a nice +PNA developing. Hopefully the GEFS are right. In the meantime behind any clipper next week, bitter cold arrives.

When in doubt stick with EC. It will always verify better than the GEFS which is unfortunate because GEFS has a nice pattern.

When in doubt stick with EC. It will always verify better than the GEFS which is unfortunate because GEFS has a nice pattern.

The GEFS aren't that bad...the EC ensmebles are better, but the GEFS do win sometimes. They beat the EC ensembles for this upcoming week back in the 11-15 range.

At any rate, its usually not one pattern verifying vs the other, but some sort of blend.

Archived