• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

GGEM is a partial phase job, which sucks since you don't end up with a good CCB potential on the backside.

You really need a southern stream dominant system or a full on phase/retro job to get a decent event. I think the dominant southern stream idea is becoming less likely because we are seeing a trend of introducing more northern energy.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty impressive airmass that gets in here Sunday night. You can really see how beneficial it would have been not to delay the storm another 24-36 hours and have it come in early Monday like some of the original depictions had it.

It reminds me of the airmass in the 24 hours leading into the 12/16/07 storm.

it looks like the 12 UKmet is further west and weaker as well. Can't see specific temperature profiles but it's probably warmer..

Here's hour 120, hour 144 for some reason is still showing me yesterdays run despite everything else updating(Meteocentre all comes out at once so it's not that it's not out yet).

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

A storm over Boston harbor is real uneventful anyways. 6hrs of precip and wind followed by meh.

I know.

Who cares.

I mean, I'm sure doctors studying the transferral and subsequent incubation of various strains of venereal disease find that fascinating from a scientific standpoint, so why don't we pop the champagne and enjoy the hell out of it??!

Right.....

Here is hr 144 on the Ukie and it does not look that bad with where that high is positioned

Without seeing the thermal profiles, it's impossible to tell what interior CNE/NNE might get in that...it could be decent on that solution...it's crap for the coast given where the 120h panel is...but the coast has been a longshot in this ever since the onset got delayed.

Without seeing the thermal profiles, it's impossible to tell what interior CNE/NNE might get in that...it could be decent on that solution...it's crap for the coast given where the 120h panel is...but the coast has been a longshot in this ever since the onset got delayed.

Yup, No thermal profiles to be had just going off where the High and Low is on the map, I would think inland areas would do well in this

Jeez I wonder what the euro does after seeing all that. It matters none for me, but for CNE and NNE it sure does.

Well if its more like the GGEM i think we may know the results, May be more like the Ukie like the other day and then again it may have its own track that may be totally different, Guess that covers it.........lol

Looking at how far south the Ukmet closes off the 5H low, I'm sure that the northern stream is dominating there.

correct me if I'm wrong but a UK track from near the Jersey coast north-eastward to near Boston Harbor but with a weaker low pressure center wouldn't that have less of an ability to bring in quite as much warm air aloft with the storm being weaker even though the track is further west than before.I suppose that could make somewhat of a difference for portions of the interior.

Looks like the GGEM has a bit more interaction with some of the polar energy and tries to phase it in. Doesn't do much for our coastal areas, but just NW of NYC gets a thump of heavy snow at the start of the event. That could be an interesting way to get this cooler if we were able to get that energy more involved.

I bet the 7H low is closed and pretty far west though...that could torch the mid levels.

correct me if I'm wrong but a UK track from near the Jersey coast north-eastward to near Boston Harbor but with a weaker low pressure center wouldn't that have less of an ability to bring in quite as much warm air aloft with the storm being weaker even though the track is further west than before.I suppose that could make someone of difference for portions of the interior.

depends which foreign guidance.  The GGEM (which admittedly I don't put much stock in...) has been a rainier system for a few cycles now.  

Not convinced - either way - that this thread doesn't end up being a lesson in weather appreciation more than a snow hunt.   Definitely will need an infusion of N-stream dynamics to get a snowier result, tho.

depends which foreign guidance.  The GGEM (which admittedly I don't put much stock in...) has been a rainier system for a few cycles now.  

Not convinced - either way - that this thread doesn't end up being a lesson in weather appreciation more than a snow hunt.   Definitely will need an infusion of N-stream dynamics to get a snowier result, tho.

If you held a gun to my head I'd guess the Euro is a faster stronger version of the UKMET.

Yeah I think that is the way we are leaning now to try and get snow...originally when this was a bit more southern stream and the N stream wasn't as strong, we were able to pulse that moisture right up into an impressive cold wedge...but now that doesn't look very realistic with the latest trends.

I think the best bet is for a full on phase and get a few hours of cranking snow from the ULL/mid-levels deepening just east of us...it's probably rain in there too, but given the somewhat hostile pattern, its really a case of "Take what you can get" rather than being picky.

CNE/NNE are def still the most likely spots to get decent snows...as has been the case from th every start of this threat.

Archived