Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is as ugly as you can get, Floods us with warm air

It's a completely different scenario than foreign guidance...it's basically a glorified clipper passing to our northwest...it tries to redevelop the thing almost overhead, but obviously that is too late and you end up with strong SE flow which would erase any type of CAD...given how far off it is from other guidance, it's probably a total waste of time dissecting the output.

The only thing it did notable on this run was dig the northern stream deeper...but still not nearly as deep as runs like Euro./Ukie.

It's a completely different scenario than foreign guidance...it's basically a glorified clipper passing to our northwest...it tries to redevelop the thing almost overhead, but obviously that is too late and you end up with strong SE flow which would erase any type of CAD...given how far off it is from other guidance, it's probably a total waste of time dissecting the output.

The only thing it did notable on this run was dig the northern stream deeper...but still not nearly as deep as runs like Euro./Ukie.

Yeah we need to see that dig further south or it will be a problem it seems if it remains the main player

Para?

Not running until Monday due to maintenance/upgrades. Rumor on the street is that they're upgrading it's computing power because verification has been abysmal, but that's a pure rumor from another board and doesn't have much support behind it(although it does come from a fairly reliable source).

You all amaze me.  The majority here have a snow fetish instead of a storm fetish.  All upset and whining that the useful guidance brings you rain instead of snow.

Shouldn't we all just be excited that the probability of a storm occurring sometime next Tuesday is high???  I mean a 988 low sitting over Boston Harbor with an 85 kt 850 jet moving through sounds pretty cool to me. 

A few mentioned 2/26/10....I would take that in a heartbeat.  Sure it was dissappointing from a snow perspective.  But it was fascinating from a meteorological perspective. 

You all amaze me. The majority here have a snow fetish instead of a storm fetish. All upset and whining that the useful guidance brings you rain instead of snow.

Shouldn't we all just be excited that the probability of a storm occurring sometime next Tuesday is high??? I mean a 988 low sitting over Boston Harbor with an 85 kt 850 jet moving through sounds pretty cool to me.

A few mentioned 2/26/10....I would take that in a heartbeat. Sure it was dissappointing from a snow perspective. But it was fascinating from a meteorological perspective.

I can't wait to hear the wind roar aloft while I'm sitting in mid 30s under the inversion. Different folks different strokes.

You all amaze me.  The majority here have a snow fetish instead of a storm fetish.  All upset and whining that the useful guidance brings you rain instead of snow.

Shouldn't we all just be excited that the probability of a storm occurring sometime next Tuesday is high???  I mean a 988 low sitting over Boston Harbor with an 85 kt 850 jet moving through sounds pretty cool to me. 

A few mentioned 2/26/10....I would take that in a heartbeat.  Sure it was dissappointing from a snow perspective.  But it was fascinating from a meteorological perspective. 

Yes, this is true...you got your answer as to why nobody is really excited if this ends up as a strong rainstorm. :lol:

I actually do think in some of those scenarios though, the snow would occur at the end. Many are skeptical of that but remember when we got backlash twice last year despite many saying "it never works out"? The common denominator in backlash or wrap around snows is having a potent 5H low just south of you or SE. Many of the deeper scenarios have that.

I'm sure many would rather go wire to wire with heavy snow, but beggers can't be choosers in a crappy pattern.

To be fair, I would not really label the GFS as very useful over the last several events an really don't think this is what we end up with either

I have to agree with you whole heartedly on that.   Oh and by the way....Northern Aroostook(Sinclair) was -13f this morning!!  That place is another world!!!

Yup, Lol, So isn't estcourt station at -20°F and Big Black River -18°F, But it was 5.5°F here so not surprised

Archived