• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

its not a horrible run. ITs still close to a big hit in my opinion . it looks like when it gets captured up near Portsmouth, 850's on the back side are crashing below zero and when it occludes and becomes vertically stacked the cold air wraps right into the center as it it retrogrades westward. obviously with the track right over us we have to worry about dry air entrainmentand the best for forcing and dynamics get pushed off to our north and westbut it doesn't look horrible in my opinion.

It's bad for you. 850s furnace for you. Congrats on flurries on the backside. It's actually interesting for HubbDave because dynamics sort of help keep him a pasty snow for awhile. A euro ensemble solution is better for you.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850 looks like it goes up to about 1. 3 or so in my area with the surge of warm air aloft but then crashes down to - 2 with precipitation ongoing.obviously everything shuts off as the low center goes directly overhead but it still looks like the text output is giving Bradley over .5 of precipitation with the 850 's dropping below zero but the surface temps look warm

850 looks like it goes up to about 1. 3 or so in my area with the surge of warm air aloft but then crashes down to - 2 with precipitation ongoing.obviously everything shuts off as the low center goes directly overhead but it still looks like the text output is giving Bradley over .5 of precipitation with the 850 's dropping below zero but the surface temps look warm

All that precip seems like stuff on the backside that likely would not occur as robust as modeled. Either way, the op run may be a little too excited.

The writing was on the wall yesterday for anyone south of the NH border and east of the River.. The scary part is there's still room for it to come west. 

Could also go east?  Maybe the EURO is doing what it did last storm and amped way up at Day 3-5 only to shift a bit east in the end.

I'm just shocked you are calling for a further west and not east solution.  We'll remember this, haha. 

obviously the trends look somewhat discouraging, especially for the coast but there still is time. it still looks to me based on the current European fact that there is a gray area in northern Connecticut and southern Massachusetts where slight changes in the track and intensity of the storm and the thermal profiles can make a huge difference. let's hope this baby doesn't shift any further west!!

Our biggest problem seems to me at least to be the movement of the system back in time by 36-48 hours from it's initial prog. When we had it modeled on Sunday night-Monday, the Canadian high was in a perfect position to work with the storm to lock in cold air, and as a result, more of us saw a snow event. Now that we're pushed back quite a bit(0z EURO doesn't bring the storm to our latitude until hour 120), the favorable high we had is retreating if not gone entirely from the picture, and as a result, we're forced to rely on dynamics/a stale air mass and there's nothing to stop us from warming. 

Best thing we can do to save this event for the CP IMO is to trend it faster by quite a bit, but considering once systems start getting pushed back it's rare to see them jump forward again, I don't know how likely that is... There's certainly other ways to get some(Not all snow, that's not going to happen) snow on the CP, but if you want an all snow solution, that's what we'd have to do I think. Just shows how timing is everything.

I will say that I am not a fan fo the stronger northern stream look...however, if we are stuck with it getting involved...we'll want full-on phase and pinwheel back W and WSW with the low...just have it happen to our east and not over our heads and we'd get in on the goods.

If we keep only partial N stream involvement, then we'll want it as weak as possible to hold the high in as long as possible.

There's still a long ways to go with this, so I'd be very careful about jumping on one suite and calling them "trends"....people made that mistake on the previous 00z suite when it looked more out to sea, only to have the 12z suite come back...this isn't going to be a smooth model ride with the way this develops.

Kind of scratched my head as the ensembles did look better on the Euro and the GFS then some portrayed here but long ways to go for this one and nothing is locked down other then it looks like we have a storm to track, And it may not resolve itself for another day or two

Its frustrating reading here sometimes and its always always why I take the time each morning to look at everything before I even read here. even the Euro Op run crushes some people here who appear to be trembling with fear. Montreal rain? yea Ok 

Its frustrating reading here sometimes and its always always why I take the time each morning to look at everything before I even read here. even the Euro Op run crushes some people here who appear to be trembling with fear. Montreal rain? yea Ok 

I do the same Steve, I look at everything from overnight and the ensembles as well before making a comment based off of what some say on here, Reading this morning it sounded like it was going to rain all the way to logan11............lol

At the time range of still 100+ hours and a complex evolution, I try and not get into "it looks like sh** here, and great here" dialogue too deeply since that's a specific detail that cannot be forecasted...the synoptic setup can be said to favor the interior as a whole just very generally...but that is pretty much going to be the case in a non-perfect setup everytime, especially in December. It's basically innate to any storm storm without a good high over Ontario or Quebec.

At the time range of still 100+ hours and a complex evolution, I try and not get into "it looks like sh** here, and great here" dialogue too deeply since that's a specific detail that cannot be forecasted...the synoptic setup can be said to favor the interior as a whole just very generally...but that is pretty much going to be the case in a non-perfect setup everytime, especially in December. It's basically innate to any storm storm without a good high over Ontario or Quebec.

there is going to be, I think, this hellacious CF bisecting NE somewhere, west of there is going to get pummeled and then heights will crash. Big potential for a stall it appears. Where it all sets up is the detail but with that 8H inflow tremendous lift and dynamical snows . another power stealing type snowstorm seems to be in the cards for the same areas that just got raked, maybe farther inland but this looks like a doozy. the 1992 type elevation parrallels are not too far off IMHO

Archived