Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some tv mets will probably be getting fired too

I doubt it. As a public employee, I regularly hear how incompetent I am, what a bloodsucker I am, and that the private sector does it better and cheaper. None of this is true. It just plays into the hands of private sector moghuls who want to get on the govt contract gravy train, where they can earn profits by paying workers a lot less. Sure NWS is guilty, but so are a lot of TV mets. Ironically, TWC with its emphasis on disaster programming wasn't too far off. Maybe meteorology ought to be a licensed profession. Wouldn't solve everything, both Dr Oz and Dr Phil are licensed ( well Phil might have let his lapse ) and they are both full of it, so who knows.

Yeah I can't wait to see the totals from New England.  Someone's gonna end up with 4 feet, the radar has been cranking over some of those guys for hours and hours.

But people in New England brag about their snow hardiness. I work with folks from New Hampshire and they laugh at a school day for 8 in of snow. My BIL in ME said they used to hope for ice storms because school almost never closed for snow. Judge Souter thought he could drive to the Supreme Court in the 96 blizzard because he grew up in New Hampshire. The National Guard had to dig him out of a snowbank. Of course it was Salia's idea IIRC to even hold court when the rest of the mid Atlantic was closed.

People will remember this one..this brings trouble because when a real blizzard comes, people won't take the media and government serious anymore.

That's the real take away with this in regard to emergency response and the general public. The reputation of the NWS took a big hit. 8.5 million people live in NYC; it is extremely costly to suspend services and the mayor is going to take a lot of heat for making these decisions. You can bet his advisers will have a glare of reluctance to act the next time a Blizzard Watch/Warning is issued. This is perhaps the winter version of Irene. Then when the real mckoy comes around, as it did with Sandy, you will have the mayor (whomever it may be at the time) saying all city services will be operating and everything is expected to run as normal, (as Mayor Bloomberg had a day or two before Sandy)... when we all know what happened.

Point of fact, meteorology is an inexact science. Most people just don't realize how inexact it could be... even when wording from the NWS within the warning itself stated that a shift in track could greatly reduce/increase totals.

TWC had 6-10 or 8-12 for NYC. Not bad for a bunch of has beens and wannabes. Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Imagine if that little band didn't set up shop over the city yesterday and drop 3-5? Ouch.

TWC has some incredible talent.  They may not put them on the air, but they have some of the best mets in the business.

TWC had 6-10 or 8-12 for NYC. Not bad for a bunch of has beens and wannabes. Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Imagine if that little band didn't set up shop over the city yesterday and drop 3-5? Ouch.

ABSOLUTLEY INCORRECT  The TWC had 18 to 24 yesterday for KNYC  and CHANGED  that forecast in the early evening .

They had that forecast was out for 36 hours . You want to high five them for taking totals down when the system was 75 miles east of the Delmarva , no way . Talent or not they busted West on Nassau county like everyone else .

But people in New England brag about their snow hardiness. I work with folks from New Hampshire and they laugh at a school day for 8 in of snow. My BIL in ME said they used to hope for ice storms because school almost never closed for snow. Judge Souter thought he could drive to the Supreme Court in the 96 blizzard because he grew up in New Hampshire. The National Guard had to dig him out of a snowbank. Of course it was Salia's idea IIRC to even hold court when the rest of the mid Atlantic was closed.

But how could that be since William H Rehnquist was the Chief Justice (in 1996).  Scalia was an Associate Justice and it would not be up to him...Rehnquist...raised in Wisconsin, was always reluctant to let the elements stand in the way of the normal conduct of business.

ABSOLUTLEY INCORRECT  The TWC had 18 to 24 yesterday for KNYC  and CHANGED  that forecast in the early evening .

They had that forecast was out for 36 hours . You want to high five them for taking totals down when the system was 75 miles east of the Delmarva , no way . Talent or not they busted West on Nassau county like everyone else .

Trust me, I'm no fan of the network, but while OKX was still doing the 24-36 circle jerk, TWC had 8-12 or 6-10 (I forget which), so clearly they did something right and they were able to pull the trigger way faster than the NWS. So yeah maybe TWC was late to the party, but the NWS never even arrived. I just remember a lot of people complaining about their forecast last night because half of the forecast had already fallen during the day.

Trust me, I'm no fan of the network, but while OKX was still doing the 24-36 circle jerk, TWC had 8-12 or 6-10 (I forget which), so clearly they did something right and they were able to pull the trigger way faster than the NWS. So yeah maybe TWC was late to the party, but the NWS never even arrived. I just remember a lot of people complaining about their forecast last night because half of the forecast had already fallen during the day.

They had  someone ( I don`t know who , because I don`t watch them ) on CNBC and they had 18 - 24 from the city across Long Island and they threw the feed to the TWC and that`s what I saw they had out .

That`s what I saw .

PS ALL YOU LONG ISLANDERS I NEVER WANNA HEAR YOU GUYS b**ch AND MOAN THAT YOU GUYS GET SHAFTED. THANK YOU!

I think most of that is far more myth than reality...given the extraordinary number of times this region has led the way in snowfall totals with storms over the last 15 years or so...

I think most of that is far more myth than reality...given the extraordinary number of times this region has led the way in snowfall totals with storms over the last 15 years or so...

Right back to March 2001...and those 17 inch totals out in Suffolk County, for example.

Archived