joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's worse:

The last 3 days loss of sleep

The pit in the stomach when I woke up at 5 and looked at the upton radar..

Deciding to make the best of it and go to Catamount, only to learn they closed for the day based on the 2 feet bust...

Trying to figure out what to do with the extra gas i have

paying another $160 on plowing another 2-3 inches. 

Explaining to my kids what happened....(also coworkers, friends and family)

or worst of all, the fact that I am model watching for Thursday's 1-2 inches already.  (and Monday)

I really feel for you nyc and coasties. Got to admit though that the past few days were exciting. 

Well I think this storm made this winter worst than what it was. At least we got some snow. But wow what a bust. We will remember this one. People will remember this one..this brings trouble because when a real blizzard comes, people won't take the media and government serious anymore. We will need some time to recover. I think not even a real blizzard will help us recover from this right now. It just unbelievable that the euro was so consistent run to run and it was way off.

I am going to go out on the limb now and say that there is going to be a bust somewhere in the region just looking at the current  radar

which for some reason I can't get the link to work properly

I knew there was going to be a bust - when that storm started developing radar was a strung out mess and the storm never had a chance to close off at all levels plus later in the evening the lowest pressure looked too far east and not as low as forecasted by the EURO.........Euro blew  this one for most of NYC metro

2001 epic bust on a bigger scale geographically it taught me not to throw all my energy into these events because their small in the grand scheme of things.We did well with wraparound 8 inches all said and done in march 2001, the school closings were backwards ,local government are always paranoid because after the lindsay storm they learned people remember potholes and snowstorms that are underforecasted. oh yeah beautiful down here in south fla. going bassfishing see ya

Can the positive nao be blamed for this?

Blamed for what ? 20 inches in Nassau County up to 30 out towards Montauk  ? Does the AO not effect Long Island

LGA will be close to 12  inches when this is done. That was the forecast for far NWNJ .

When the bust risk was always  where was the steep gradient ( modeled 75 to 100 miles west ) NCNJ  back to the Poconos   a SLP that corrected 75 miles east just brought that gradient into KNYC .

Paltry from the 5 boroughs West , but from Central Long Island east its a Very good storm ( if 20 -30 ) is the new " very good " .

The Euro and its ensembles were awful from Central Long Island west , Probably it worst bust here in many a year .  This got tugged east .

What will suck for some are some of  the 20 -30 amounts you will see so close by on Long Island and the 30 plus from New England

For the city and LGA it was 8 to 12 and west NADA .

That 75 - 100 mile difference was about as bad a shafting for many as we have seen in a while .

Blamed for what ? 20 inches in Nassau County up to 30  out towards Montauk  ? Does the AO not effect Long Island

LGA will be close to 12  inches when this is done. That was the forecast for far NWNJ .

When the bust risk was always  where was the steep gradient ( modeled 75 to 100 miles west ) NCNJ  back to the Poconos   a SLP that corrected 75 miles east just brought that gradient into KNYC .

Paltry from the 5 boroughs West , but from Central Long Island east its a Very good storm ( if 20 -30 ) is the new " very good " .

And they pretty much got one just like it 2 years ago...imagine tow storms of that magnitude in two years. we used to go decades between such storms, but I will say these storms of late seem to concentrate gradients much tighter than I remember, but I didn't pay as much attention in my youth. Seems I had other things on my mind, and not just fishing....

2001 epic bust on a bigger scale geographically it taught me not to throw all my energy into these events because their small in the grand scheme of things.We did well with wraparound 8 inches all said and done in march 2001, the school closings were backwards ,local government are always paranoid because after the lindsay storm they learned people remember potholes and snowstorms that are underforecasted. oh yeah beautiful down here in south fla. going bassfishing see ya

Meh, the bass are always biting in FL. What else they got to do but eat? catching any gar or bowfin while your at it?

Very depressing. The only joy I get out of the storm is seeing DT bust so badly. The fact that he called out the weather channel it is hilarious. The weather Channel is a Larry's but this time they beat DT. Let's see if we hear from DT or does he say he has computer problems and that's why he hasn't posted. Or maybe he will come out again and say why he was horribly wrong. He says that he is the only one that will admit when he's wrong but I think it's because he's getting good at it.

The Euro and its ensembles were awful from Central Long Island west , Probably it worst bust here in many a year .  This got tugged east .

What will suck for some are some of  the 20 -30 amounts you will see so close by on Long Island and the 30 plus from New England

That 75 - 100 mile difference was about as bad a shafting for many as we have seen in a while .

Well I do have more snow on the ground than 3/5/01 or 2/6/10. This is at least turning into a run of the mill 6-7 incher here in partsof NJ. It's like it has snowed lightly for the past 24 hours. it has taken that long to accumulate this amount. It's a blown forecast, no question. In other news, my BIL in ME is about to get hit. When he was down here for Boxing Day, he wasn't flustered by it at all, tho admitted it was a "big Stawm".

Very depressing. The only joy I get out of the storm is seeing DT bust so badly. The fact that he called out the weather channel it is hilarious. The weather Channel is a Larry's but this time they beat DT. Let's see if we hear from DT or does he say he has computer problems and that's why he hasn't posted. Or maybe he will come out again and say why he was horribly wrong. He says that he is the only one that will admit when he's wrong but I think it's because he's getting good at it.

Steve D had a tail between his legs post of about a paragraph saying he warned this might happen. I missed the warning, Stevie. What page was it on again?

Nah he just calls everyone else idiots on his page lol. He's a sore loser. Called everyone here on american "idiot weenies" last night lol

Yeah I can't wait to see the totals from New England.  Someone's gonna end up with 4 feet, the radar has been cranking over some of those guys for hours and hours.

Parts of Eastern Jersey look to be in the 8 - 12 range also. EWR is at 6 and snowing.

Yeah I can't wait to see the totals from New England. Someone's gonna end up with 4 feet, the radar has been cranking over some of those guys for hours and hours.

Latest totals at 7 has Worcester with the highest total at 25". Not surprising the way that band has been parked there. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't wind up with 35 or 40". Really wishing I'd made the trip.

Hey wait, it could still move west.  It's time for nowcasting and not model watching.

I'm sticking with the model that shows me the least and riding it. It is just as good as riding the bullish ones. Worst is the smirking guy at the deli yesterday who said we will get less than 8 inches. He referenced 3/5/01. The general public DOES remember these things. People died during Sandy because Irene was tamer than it was hyped to be ( and I lost power in both, as well as the October snowstorm )and they thought hell, the weather service is on crack. I saw neighborhoods on both sides of Raritan Bay that had stood for decades get washed away during Sandy. I like big snows, but I never want to see another Sandy again. And I won't retire to a state that gets hurricanes. NEPA looks good to me, except for the bears. And crazy dudes with guns hiding in the Poconos....

Archived